101 Rewards

By The Gremlin, in Grimm RPG

Have you ever wanted to give the kids an item to reward them for a particularly tricky task? If so, this is the place.

Alternatively,do you have a lot of ideas for rewards that you'd like to share? If so, this is also the place. If you want to contribute, you jsut need three things: The numbering. This may seem obvious, but people often forget. The item. Pretty key ingredient. :P Finally, a Special. A Special is a little power-up for a narrator to use if he wants the item to be a bit more powerful. You can also do a Lesser, which is the opposite, but it isn't necessary.

Also, it should be noted that Grimm is not D&D. It is not at all loot-based. You should only use these items if the children have done something that really merits a reward.

And without further ado...

1) One of Wile E. Coyote's teeth, which functions as a Light Hand dagger. Special: Gives the wielder the Outcast's Cheap Shot ability, or boosts the ability to +2 wounds if the wielder already has it.
2) The shrunken head of a fellow Real World child. The head repels the Rotten King and those who have been affected by his Rotten to the Core ability, forcing them to stay just out of reach unless they succeed on a Cool test 2 grades below their actual grade Cool. For the king himself, this is only 1 below (so 11th grade). Special: The bearer of the head is immune to the King's Rotten to the Core ability...as long as he bears it, that is.
3) An twig from the Real World. The bearer of the twig gets a +2 advantage on Pluck tests against estrangement. Special: The twig can actually be used as the Key to Babylon! All you need to do is have the Dragon swallow it, vomit it back up, and then bequeath it back to you with his blessing. So, easy, right?
4) An ACME coupon for five gold coins, enough to buy a single lesser product. Since ACME sells pretty much anything, this gives you a massive array of options, such as weapons, armor, or an anvil to walk people off cliffs with. No dynamite, sorry. There is a major flaw, though: Whenever you make a test using an ACME item, and roll a one, the item turns on its owner in a spectacularly unfortunate manner of the narrator's choosing. This seems to happen to poor old Coyote a lot. All one must do to sue the coupon itself is rip the coupon on the dotted line, and a box will fall before them with whatever they tried to buy. Special: Since the narrator can control what the children can afford, a special isn't really necessary. Just let them buy whatever seems reasonable and fits your story.
5) A hookah. Now, children are too young for such things, but there is oddly no tobacco or anything in the bowl. When puffed, a tiny caterpillar appears, only visible to the user. He is rather rude, but will give the user a helpful bit of advice of the narrator's choosing. He will only appear once, but the hookah remains. Special: The hookah counters the Rotten King's Mad as a Fish ability.

One of my players lost his keepsake before they even entered Grimm. While this was completely his fault. I decided to make a keepsake from his shirt. His mother probably didn't wash it right and there is some leftover residue of the washingpowder into it. Whenever his shirt gets wet, the powder magically comes to life and straightens the shirt right up, reflecting any light and blinding anyone nearby with its utter whiteness for a -1 disadvantage.

A item I plan to give my players at the end of the first story is a purple potion in a banana-shaped bottle. Nobody has any idea what it does, wether it is a lotion, a potion, a poison or even something entirely else. The true purpose of the item is that it can be almost anything they need for 2 imagination. From liqued soap, a refreshing softdrink, to a lotion or potion of +1 advantage on any core trait or a slow weakening poison.

I have a nerd with a set of special pen's as keepsake. These can write down the true name or nature of any creature they encounter, ... If only he could find a piece of paper. cost: 1 imagination

The purpose of this thread is more to list lots of possible rewards you could give somebody than replacement keepsakes and suchwhat. Stuff like the magic items in the book, except much weaker. Things that are only good if you spend Imagination don't really fit the theme.

One of my players ruined his keepsake right away - a backpack of holding. It was completely his own fault and I he has been on a mission to get it fixed which has led to many adventures for them and opportunities for me.

how about a thimble that helps you remember things?

A small gremlin in a box that acts as a camera (he actually paints little pictures)?

cans attached by string that work as walkie-talkies?

GameBearOR said:

how about a thimble that helps you remember things?

A small gremlin in a box that acts as a camera (he actually paints little pictures)?

cans attached by string that work as walkie-talkies?

It seems that the form for this thread, which I assumed was simple enough, isn't working. I'd prefer if you all read the full post before making these excellent suggestions.

1) A Truly Magic 8 Ball. Allows the user to put forth a yes or no question and have it answered with a near-perfect accuracy. The frequency of this effect I'm unsure of...you can decide =P

2) Over-sized Toad Stool. When players spend an evening resting for Natural Healing on this toad stool, fit perfect for a child's rear end, it's magical healing abilities allow the user to heal 2 wounds per successful Muscle test.

3) (Thank you Fallout 3 for this idea) Sugarbombs. These small candies double as a medium ranged weapon with their explosive properties, providing +1 to throw and inflict a natural +1 or 2 (which ever seems more appropriate) wounds upon impact. Special: Maybe they can provide a "pop" to the players step if consumed, granting them the Hoppers ability of the Razor Toads (page 144).

4) A Dowsing Rod ( Wiki link ). Allows the user to detect minerals, water, ores and other precious things found under the earths surface.

1) Fortune Cookie. When the players read it, the narrator gives a typical fortune cookie fortune. BUT, in the future, the narrator will slyly be able to allow a kid to automatically pass any test as long as the situation relates to the fortune.

Not to be insistant, and I'm glad that the items are being numbered, but could you keep the numbers up to date? We passed 1 a while ago, in the first post.

The Gremlin said:

Not to be insistant, and I'm glad that the items are being numbered, but could you keep the numbers up to date? We passed 1 a while ago, in the first post.

Sorry, I didn't realize this was an OCD friendly thread. If you want the numbers to be continuing, then say so. He numbered his post, like you asked. As in any suggestion forums, the numbering is typically specific to each post, not the entirety of the thread. I noticed you always seem to have snide remarks towards anyone who doesn't do things YOUR way in any thread. If you expect people to post ideas, then don't be so picky and ridicule them because they have a personal twist to their game. As for this thread, if you can't stand the concept of people coming in and casually posting their ideas without having to worry about what your finicky guidelines could possibly entail that aren't defined in grave detail, then maybe a forum isn't the place for you.

*Cough*

101 Rewards

Overseer said:

Sorry, I didn't realize this was an OCD friendly thread. If you want the numbers to be continuing, then say so. He numbered his post, like you asked. As in any suggestion forums, the numbering is typically specific to each post, not the entirety of the thread. I noticed you always seem to have snide remarks towards anyone who doesn't do things YOUR way in any thread. If you expect people to post ideas, then don't be so picky and ridicule them because they have a personal twist to their game. As for this thread, if you can't stand the concept of people coming in and casually posting their ideas without having to worry about what your finicky guidelines could possibly entail that aren't defined in grave detail, then maybe a forum isn't the place for you.

Well hello. No need to get "finicky" (I love that word btw) over someone else's posts. Gremlin made it pretty clear in the title, and somehow that slipped past us all. Great idea for a post...didn't go exactly as planned lol. I'll be sure to pick up from 5 from here on out, or whatever the trailing number is. Unless you want me to count all the suggestions and start from there.

6) A Truly Magic 8 Ball. Allows the user to put forth a yes or no question and have it answered with a near-perfect accuracy. The frequency of this effect I'm unsure of...you can decide =P

7) Over-sized Toad Stool. When players spend an evening resting for Natural Healing on this toad stool, fit perfect for a child's rear end, it's magical healing abilities allow the user to heal 2 wounds per successful Muscle test.

8) (Thank you Fallout 3 for this idea) Sugarbombs. These small candies double as a medium ranged weapon with their explosive properties, providing +1 to throw and inflict a natural +1 or 2 (which ever seems more appropriate) wounds upon impact. Special: Maybe they can provide a "pop" to the players step if consumed, granting them the Hoppers ability of the Razor Toads (page 144).

9) A Dowsing Rod (Wiki link). Allows the user to detect minerals, water, ores and other precious things found under the earths surface.

10) Fortune Cookie. When the players read it, the narrator gives a typical fortune cookie fortune. BUT, in the future, the narrator will slyly be able to allow a kid to automatically pass any test as long as the situation relates to the fortune.

There are all the items since my post (that have been numbered, at least, as the unnumbered ones are a complication I don't need at 22 o' clock). From now on, items should be numbers anyways, so it won't be necessary to count the previous ones.

The title doesnt really explain much.....I took it as CLASS room 101 rewards. You know.....Or like Art class 1506.03........You know from college courses and all. Just saying that of course...But Now...that we know the max of this forum is 101 rewards. Lets continue.

RED_RONIN47 said:

The title doesnt really explain much.....I took it as CLASS room 101 rewards. You know.....Or like Art class 1506.03........You know from college courses and all. Just saying that of course...But Now...that we know the max of this forum is 101 rewards. Lets continue.

:P

And it's not really a max. I would have set it to 1001, but i wanted to be realistic. When we're done here, I may make a new thread, depending on how well this one goes.

11) a miracolous pair of iron shoes that allow whoever wears them to breathe underwater. It takes an eigth grade muscle test each round to avoid sinking to the bottom.

12) a fur coat that, when worn, transforms the wearer into a bear. The wearer needs someone else to pull the zipper on the back down to get them out of the bear skin.

13) A popgun that scares any native of the Grimmlands when used within earshot of them, causing them to lose a round. It takes a turn to reload it.

14) a magnifying glass that reveals the true nature of anything looked at through it, at the cost of one point of imagination.

15) a pair of boots that allow their wearer to dance flawlessly. By expanding one level of imagination you can walk on air with them.