Possible "Where the Wild Things Are" Ideas...

By BigBadQDaddy, in Grimm RPG

I have been wanting to create a patchwork kingdom based on the popular childrens book. Any ideas about possible story lines?

Maybe Max has crossed over from child into monster and needs to be redeemed/defeated?

A Monster revolt?

You could perhaps have the kids all be transported there by it being linked to some sort of punishment much like Max who was sent to his room without supper. Max was wearing a wolf costume but you could always have the kids sent to their rooms for something and as they sit in their rooms they noticed a costume of an animal or maybe even a monster. Maybe something whispers to them to put the costume on which in turn transports them to the land Where the Wild Things Are?

Each child then appears either in the same location or are spread out around the island and end up finding one another. Have them deal with smaller critters that dwell there as well as copious amounts of hazards found all over. I would leave little hints as to the Wild Things by kids falling into a foot print or finding one. Claw marks even cave paintings or some such. If your going with the look and feel of the Grimm world thus making it "Tim Burton dark" then you have even more room to play with it. But I guess it really depends on your target audience.

Maybe the Wild Things are evil or maybe their are good? Perhaps there are two camps of Wild Things? Those that are good and protect lost and missing children and those that eat or even enslave children that they capture. Heck maybe there is really only one REAL Big Bad Wild Thing that the others have not been able to overthrow and the children are perhaps the "chosen ones" sent to end his dark reign. There could be a carving, a book or a cave painting that depicts the children in their said animal/monster costumes. Perhaps the Monsters help them to bring forth their special power that their animal avatar has given them. Something that could be attributed to their Archetype or maybe just the child's personality but it would also be an attribute linked to the said animal the character is dressed as.

There are lots of ways to tackle this and could be seen as a one shot or could be drawn out into an ongoing campaign. Either way I hope this helps you and great idea to use Maurice Sendak's book. Who knows maybe the Big Bad Monster could be known as Sendak thus tipping the hat to the author?

Any Ideas as to if their will be scenario expansions of pre-created stories like d&d does? I love the idea but with time constraints be they as they are I do not have time to create an adventure from scratch. I would love if there were stories to jump into :)

From what I gather this was a one shot game. So any ideas you will have to come up with on your own. I had put together a small game that I introduced my nieces to that took place in the world of Spiderwick and it went rather well. So grab a few Mother Goose or Grimm Fairy Tales books from a new or used book store and start twisting them to your whim. I think the Main book gives you all you really need to come up with stuff all you need is some inspiration to get the imagination charged and ready to create a realm of your own or to build on what exists within the GRIMM Lands already.

That's a pretty good idea simply modding the Grimm Fairy Tales. Thanks for the suggestion!

CanadianPittbull said:

You could perhaps have the kids all be transported there by it being linked to some sort of punishment much like Max who was sent to his room without supper. Max was wearing a wolf costume but you could always have the kids sent to their rooms for something and as they sit in their rooms they noticed a costume of an animal or maybe even a monster. Maybe something whispers to them to put the costume on which in turn transports them to the land Where the Wild Things Are?

Each child then appears either in the same location or are spread out around the island and end up finding one another. Have them deal with smaller critters that dwell there as well as copious amounts of hazards found all over. I would leave little hints as to the Wild Things by kids falling into a foot print or finding one. Claw marks even cave paintings or some such. If your going with the look and feel of the Grimm world thus making it "Tim Burton dark" then you have even more room to play with it. But I guess it really depends on your target audience.

Maybe the Wild Things are evil or maybe their are good? Perhaps there are two camps of Wild Things? Those that are good and protect lost and missing children and those that eat or even enslave children that they capture. Heck maybe there is really only one REAL Big Bad Wild Thing that the others have not been able to overthrow and the children are perhaps the "chosen ones" sent to end his dark reign. There could be a carving, a book or a cave painting that depicts the children in their said animal/monster costumes. Perhaps the Monsters help them to bring forth their special power that their animal avatar has given them. Something that could be attributed to their Archetype or maybe just the child's personality but it would also be an attribute linked to the said animal the character is dressed as.

There are lots of ways to tackle this and could be seen as a one shot or could be drawn out into an ongoing campaign. Either way I hope this helps you and great idea to use Maurice Sendak's book. Who knows maybe the Big Bad Monster could be known as Sendak thus tipping the hat to the author?

These are some awesome suggestions.

I originally toyed with the idea of having Max be the main villain, the Grimm lands transforming him into some sort of human/monster hybrid or a werewolf of sorts. I really like the Sendak idea as I am sure my players are not as familiar with the original childrens story and would not catch the hint.

You idea of having two separate camps hits really close to the idea I had of having a group of monsters defect from the camp and start off on there own, unable to accept Max as there king.

Truly some great ideas though, Much appreciated.

No problem and glad to help. I always enjoy brainstorming with folks on story concepts that would translate well to the table. Hope your game gets underway and you folks get much enjoyment out of it.

I was going to suggest the grimm fairy tales as well, or a creeped out version of Dr suess stuff.

BigBadQDaddy said:

I originally toyed with the idea of having Max be the main villain, the Grimm lands transforming him into some sort of human/monster hybrid or a werewolf of sorts.

Well, Max was made the King of the Wild Things.... gui%C3%B1o.gif

Great idea and great suggestions. Perhaps the PC's each get in trouble on Halloween night, and are sent to their rooms without Trick or Treating. They are transported to the monsters island, where Max is King of the monsters and he has turned quite bad. See, Max went back to the island a few days after his first visit. He didn't leave the second time, and he has become quite mean as he sits on his throne. Some of the monsters enlist these new arrivals to help over throw the evil king Max.

Great ideas...I think I will read this to my son tonight.