A little disappointed in the LCG format

By trekkermj, in 1. AGoT General Discussion

Didn't we just get Change of Seasons? I'm fine with waiting a little while before integrating the new CP inot my builds.

We have yet to receive more accurate information on the release date of Raven's Song, and have changed our release date to January on our website.

When we post the last day of the month as the release date for an item that we are pre-selling it means that we hope to have the product available to ship sometime during that month.

We do not have enough information of future Chapter Packs beyond Raven's Song to begin pre-selling them.

Max Wax said:

Potomac removed all other Chapter Packs from their distribution, besides Raven's Song The release date for Raven's Song is Jan 31st. As usual FFG does not help their customers.

Just to let you know, FFG has never had any set in stone release dates for their product. For many of their games, even when they announce a month or season, they often miss the projected release date.

I would expect Raven's Song about the third or fourth week of January. But i wouldn't expect FFG to give us a release date, as much as many of us on the retail side of things would love one.

JerusalemJones said:

Just to let you know, FFG has never had any set in stone release dates for their product. For many of their games, even when they announce a month or season, they often miss the projected release date.

Yeah, but with Chapter Packs, that doesn't hold water. Remember that the entire cycle of Chapter Packs is supposed to be printed and sent to FFGs warehouse, then released one a month through a 6-month cycle. The supposition is that Raven's Song, Refugees of War and Scattered Armies are all supposed to be sitting in Roseville right now. If they're missing projected release dates for anything other than the first CP in a cycle, it's because they aren't shipping it - something that is not beyond their control.

It is actually very worrisome to me that a big distributor like Potomac does not have sufficient release information to accept pre-orders for a product that is supposedly sitting in FFG's Minnesota warehouse as we "speak."

Now true, FFG may have changed their planning and shipping methods and may not have all the CPs in their warehouse waiting on the monthly release schedule. There certainly is practical argument against sitting on product for up to 6 months, essentially shrinking the size of the warehouse by the amount of space the cards take up. And it's not like FFG is under any obligation to inform players if they decide to change their production, warehousing and distribution protocols. However, a certain expectation was created a year ago when the LCG/Chapter Pack model was announced. If something has changed and they no longer have that expectation as a goal (or are having the kind of trouble meeting the goal that results in distributors ceasing to take pre-orders), it seems like it would have been a good idea to manage our expectations a little by letting us know what's going on.

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA *snort* HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHA!!!!

*gasp for breath*

I'm sorry, really....

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHA.....

It's just HAHAHAHAHHA....that the idea of being informed of reasonable delays in a timely manner is just a pretty hilarious concept here.

Well, that and there's apparently a laughing gas leak in my house. ;)

Kennon said:

It's just HAHAHAHAHHA....that the idea of being informed of reasonable delays in a timely manner is just a pretty hilarious concept here.

~ Well, I said it seemed like it would have been a good idea to me. It's not like I was betting the Vegas odds or anything. Release dates are apparently trade secrets, you know.

~Aha! I should have thought of that before. FFG is afraid that if they publish release dates and stick to them, WotC or AEG or someone will move their releases to that day in order to steal all the thunder!

For the first Chapter Packs cycle FFG announced the whole release schedule, that looked like this

www.agameofthrones.com/PDF/AGOT-Schedule.pdf

It was all nicely put together and made sense.

Currently, CP's appear so chaoticly and it looks like another FFG attempt to angry their customers even more! I thought the LCG format was about simplyfying things, but that was just my thought...

I was completing my order on Potomac website in December, hopping to get a whole bunch of different CP's, but Raven's Song release date was just moved again. I don't blame Potomac. What pisses me off is FFG and their lack of communication, explanation, that what they announced in the past regarding CP's distribution is not true anymore. What's going on, FFG???

I am currently surprised that so many people still believe in FFG. They proved a lot of times how they keep their words, delivery plans and rules. Now there is nothing which can surprised me from their side I don't trust in any word, termin of delivery plans etc. Everything can happen... and better for you to adopt to this situation like other did or leave the game.

berto said:

I am currently surprised that so many people still believe in FFG.

Where do you take that from? Eventually from the last 1 1/2 pages of this thread were people are making sarcastic comments about FFG products and release dates?!

~Or is this just the usual unaligned weekly complain contrbution of yours ?! :-P

berto said:

I am currently surprised that so many people still believe in FFG.

I'm currently surprised you're still posting on their boards gui%C3%B1o.gif

I guess it depends on what you mean by "still believe in FFG". Do I believe FFG will ever get a game out on time? I never have (even before I started playing thrones), and don't expect that will change. Do I believe FFG can produce a good game when they give it proper attention and finally get it out to the public? I always have, and hope that will never change as well.

Deathjester26 said:

I'm currently surprised you're still posting on their boards gui%C3%B1o.gif

I do this for 1 reason:

I want to avoid that another one will be fooled like me so I want let people know about this. It's good to hear another opionion and arguments. If someone will be fully aware what;s going on that's fine. That's everyone risk. Would you like to invest tons of dollars for product which can be gone tomorrow, yes? Enjoy! No? be careful than, think twice, maybe find alternative game, maybe play with C and U whatever. Just be prepare. That;s all.

Anyone who thinks how brilliant this game is managed please just ignore me on this board...

berto said:

I want to avoid that another one will be fooled like me so I want let people know about this.

Good luck, berto!

I wish there was the Private Message system working still, so you could proceed with your mission in private.

Max Wax said:

berto said:

I want to avoid that another one will be fooled like me so I want let people know about this.

Good luck, berto!

I wish there was the Private Message system working still, so you could proceed with your mission in private.

I wish someone would just ban him, it´s not informative, just annoying as hell.

Have I abused form rules or insult anyone? Read again title of this thread...than think quietly... read again...understood? You are fine with changes, you r fine what was being done with a game fine let's enjoy and discuss how fantastic the game is in a lot of threads on this board leaving alone black ships who thinks differently and such subject.

Experiencing the whole transition to the LCG format, from a time perspective, things would go better if:

1. A Time of Ravens was released as a (black bordered?) expansion to the 5 Kings block. It is quite obvious A Time of Ravens and A Clash of Arms are expanding 5K block mechanics and cards [Kings/Queens; Kingdom Locations etc.]. A Time of Ravens would complete 5K as a cards block.

2. Rotation of the 5K and ITE should have been postponed and the Standard format kept. To connect CCG and LCG both Chapter Pack expansions would be included in the LCG tournament play.

3. FFG should put more work and preparation to lunch LCG with a bigger card pool. A kind of boardgameish expansion for a start, could be Legacy Pack like, or a mix of old and new cards, something introducing Greyjoys and Martells to LCG, would have helped a lot. Then, FFG could try Chapter Packs with a monthy release schedule. Simply speaking more options to build decks should be provided for the LCG players.

I know those ideas are not new. And I am sorry I am trying to be samart after it all have happened. I just wish FFG found some smart way out to improve the LCG format situation for all the players [both AGOT & COC], so we don't get annoyed so often in 2009. :)

berto said:

Have I abused form rules or insult anyone?

Not in any personal way i could tell. No, i think the problem is just reading over and over again the same statement. The problem here is, you want to penalty FFG, but in reality you are annoying players by reposting the same information in a lot of different discussions - at least it seems that a lot of community members feel that way.

If your goal is to warn other players / newcomers about some product line decisions which you find unacceptable it would be rather more effective to do something like leave some comments on amazon, boardgamegeek etc. That way everyone who is interested about the game could receive a probably helpful feedback BEFORE they purchase the game, you could probably write something like: "The game is enjoyable, but the organized play is doubtable, also the product decisions are strange. It´s good for casual players, but not for tournament players." or something like that, whatever you like.

Also, in my opinion it would be a good thing to differentiate between feedback for longtime players who have 5KE and ITE stuff and players that started with the LCG format. Their point of view about the development process of the game must naturally be totally different.

Just another word about why i still think that FFG made at least a acceptable decision for the game, even for longtime players. I´ve been also through some over CCGs/ TCGs before. The worst experience in my book were different Decipher games. Star wars ccg was soon at a dead point when decipher lost the Star wars license to print the cards- so the game ended asap at some point. LOTR ended after the movies hype and the game mechanics were driven to a dead point. Wars TCG (a sw:ccg spinoff) was released in october, the first expansion in december and the 2nd expansion was on hiatus for half a year, than the game got cancelled- and some people spend a lot of money on this game too.

So now compare it to FFGs decision, it looks like they could decide between cancelling the whole game or to continue it on another level of gameplay and distribution. The last decision was made and i think it was a good decision for the players who still enjoy playing the game. Every other company in the same position would have to decide between these two alternatives. Example: If Legend of the five rings sales decrease in the next few months, the publisher will just have to choose between these alternatives, if they would make the decison to continue the product without changing anything they would be morons. So i fail to see why the FFG product line decision is judged that roughly by some players.

berto said:

Have I abused form rules or insult anyone? Read again title of this thread...than think quietly... read again...understood? You are fine with changes, you r fine what was being done with a game fine let's enjoy and discuss how fantastic the game is in a lot of threads on this board leaving alone black ships who thinks differently and such subject.

Actually yes you have, several times, and been called out on the carpet for it publicly to boot. In your typical fashion you got offended by the fact that people were pointing this out and got more belligerent.

There is a distinct difference between a warning and simply trolling or spamming. You crossed that line an entire board ago.

Old Ben said:

So now compare it to FFGs decision, it looks like they could decide between cancelling the whole game or to continue it on another level of gameplay and distribution. The last decision was made and i think it was a good decision for the players who still enjoy playing the game. Every other company in the same position would have to decide between these two alternatives. Example: If Legend of the five rings sales decrease in the next few months, the publisher will just have to choose between these alternatives, if they would make the decison to continue the product without changing anything they would be morons. So i fail to see why the FFG product line decision is judged that roughly by some players.

Because some people are narcissistic, borderline, have myopic views, believe their personal priorities are shared by the majority of others, and any mix of those. Those people will take any change as something personal, something that should have been put before them to pass judgment on, and their veto should end all discussion. They either can't see the legitimate arguments of the other side or dismiss them out of hand because they don't agree with them.

Other people simply would prefer any decision concerning one of their favorite hobbies that will change how they play/participate, be made with enough notice that they may make informed decisions about their continued involvement.

I have no sympathy for the former group. They are precisely the type of person that has created a stigma around gamers and comic afficianadoes (fan boys) in general and CCG gamers in specific. I'd say the whole group could take a long walk off a very short pier, but the truth is their money and fanaticism when games/comics are to their liking substantially supports those of us who don't have a lot of disposable income. The second group, I feel for, and even agree with, though I have no intention changing my participation level unless the game is discontinued AND my play group disintergrates. The game is too good. To me it is literally larger than failings and foils that FFG has or may make. The fact that they continue to try make course corrections after what consumers believe is a mistake has occured gives me hope. They will and have made decisions that I don't agree with, ones I dislike instantly, and ones which I dislike over time. They have also made decisions I am behind 100%, ones which I like instantly and ones which win me over. My own company, and every place I have worked for (and honestly every producer of the entertainment I consume) has done the same.

They haven't given up on the game, so I won't give up on them... but that's me.