[Rules question] Liftoff ability

By Alhazred, in StarCraft

Hi,

I was playing the other day with a friend and we bumped on this issue in the rules.

The terran special ability says " when executing a mobilize order".

Can you use it during ANY mobilize order ( eg : while you're under attack ) to relocate your base ?

I have searched the forums and the starcraft FAQ and found no answer for this.

Right now we decided with my friend that you can use it only during your own mobilize orders but are still unsure of this.

Please can someone enlighten us about this.

If a Terrans fraction execute a mobilize order on a planet with a base on it they may move their base to an empty or friendly space on the planet.

If your base is under attack and you execute a mobilise order you are allowed to move your base. If you attack an area on a planet with enemy forces in it, you are not allowed to transport your base to that space.

Ok so according to what you re saying, it s only when executing your OWN orders ?

Because my friend argued that you could use this ability during any orders.

Eg, he argued that while i was attacking his base, and so executing MY mobilize order he could liftoff and run away with his base.

In fact it's true the abilty doesn't clearly refer to executing YOUR mobilize order.

You may only use the liftoff ability during execution of your own mobilize orders.

Boromir said:

You may only use the liftoff ability during execution of your own mobilize orders.

Yeah i agree to that, but is there actually some rule, errata or faq for reference to this ? ( just want to have something to show to my friend so that he believes me ^^ )

Hm, so your friend believes that he should be able to move his troops during your mobilize orders as well? Since the wording there must be very similar, although I'm too lazy to look it up...

Well, tell your friend this: it's printed on HIS faction sheet that HE may liftoff the base when executing an order. Why the hell should he be able to lift the base just because YOU execute an order? That makes no sense. You order your troops to do something, not his. Else you could send his troops around with your orders, too. If he doesn't want that, he needs HIS guys in command to give the order to HIS command centers. Ever heard that someone does something because an enemy commander tells him to do so, regardless of how useful this move might be?

In short: no.

I think it's a problem we've got with the french traduction of this ability.

we "could" understand that the terran player can move his base to avoid a possible destruction ot it when "a" mobilize order is played.

If it's not the truth, i think that this ability has no real utility (it's just my opinion).

Why and when do you play this ability in the video game ?

1) To avoid the destruction of your base by ground units

2) To harvest in an other aera...no ?

Gourry

Of course you do, but the mechanisms of the board game work different than the ones in the PC game. So you have to execute the order by yourself. Besides, the statement before was an abstract one, because if you don't order your buildings in the PC game, they DON'T LIFT OFF. Same in the board game. You have to order them to lift off, or else they don't.

Stefan said:

if you don't order your buildings in the PC game, they DON'T LIFT OFF.

In fact it seems pretty obvious if you look this way aplauso.gif

Units which have abilities doesn't need to activate them to use...so i thought that this racial ability has a limited interest (just one / to change position of the base to take Victory Point Aera but it cost a mobilisation order on the planet...and you have to move to a friendly aera ...hum... serio.gif )

Other races have more efficient abilities than Terran...Nevermind, i don't play Terran gran_risa.gif .

Thanks for your answer

Gourry

Also gourry ( hello there gui%C3%B1o.gif ), the way it works, this ability is not useless.

Remember that the base is destroyed only at the end of the turn.

If you play first and feel you will be subject to an attack on your base , you can put a mobilize order on the planet.

Since the opponent can only attack one area of the planet, even if you lose the battle you can then redeploy your base to a nearby friendly area when your order comes out of the stack and also call reinforcements on the same friendly area from a nearby planet.

That way if you feel you're not ready for an immediate counterattack ( wich others races must do in order to save a base before the end of the turn ) on your mobilize order you can retreat and prepare for another turn.