Advice For Playing Big Battles ( games over 400 points )

By LostFleet, in Star Wars: Armada Rules Questions

I have never played games over 400 points but now I want to venture in big games like 600, 800, 1000 points game.

I was wondering how long does it take to play these games compared to a 400 point game.

How many upgrades do you have for your ships ( basically do you have a lot of ships with minimal upgrades so you can easily manage them or do you have less ships but you stock them up for stronger ships?)

one aspect I don't like about 400 points game is, it is usually a small flottila of 3-4 ships and does not convey the feeling of a fleet. Does bigger games achieve that feeeling at all, like you command the Grand Fleet?

The play time doesn't scale linearly (e.g. 800 would be twice the time.) It's faster than that. How long it actually takes depends on a ton of factors though. How fast the players operate, what you brought, etc. Add an hour for 800-1000 points and you should be fine. Beyond that I don't have experience.

Sector fleet rules work well and the meta's more flexible (Home One/Sato/Jonus get their time in the sun, etc.): https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/13/6b/136b6ec9-562a-45e1-9fb3-8bc4e972c293/swm_sector_fleet_rules_eng.pdf

How many upgrades? That's a fleet building question. Depends on your playstyle. I personally like to take fewer because you can leverage force multipliers like fleet commands across more ships, but there's no single good answer.

Bigger games feel immersive and are a ton of fun. Build your list to feel like a fleet and, well... it'll feel like a fleet when it hits the table too.

Obligatory favorite picture:

O3W7c5P-zmwB_lUkoyPbpf9f7_Hc22atAL6F1ZJ0

20 hours ago, The Jabbawookie said:

Add an hour for 800-1000 points and you should be fine. Beyond that I don't have ex

Thank you, I was afraid it would at least two hours to it, if it is an hour it is manageable.