Ebb and Flow

By Cyber-Dave, in Star Wars: Force and Destiny RPG

Before the forums shut down, I wanted to ask one quick question regarding Ebb and flow. I can't make heads or tails of some aspects of the power. According to Sam from the Order66 podcast, you may only spend 1 die on its ultimate control talent. Likewise, according to Sam, you may spend its various pips on a roll even if your skill check fails. In both cases, the rules of the game seem to be clearly at odds with Sam's claims. I can't find anything in the wording of the ability or the core rules regarding force use that would allow you to spend the force pips if the concurrent skill check it is attached to fails or that stops you from committing more than one die to its ultimate control feature. Finally, I am hearing contradictory interpretations regarding whether it is possible to uncommit its final control ability or not... any help would be appreciated.

Edited by Cyber-Dave
12 hours ago, Cyber-Dave said:

Before the forums shut down, I wanted to ask one quick question regarding Ebb and flow. I can't make heads or tails of some aspects of the power. According to Sam from the Order66 podcast, you may only spend 1 die on its ultimate control talent. Likewise, according to Sam, you may spend its various pips on a roll even if your skill check fails. In both cases, the rules of the game seem to be clearly at odds with Sam's claims. I can't find anything in the wording of the ability or the core rules regarding force use that would allow you to spend the force pips if the concurrent skill check it is attached to fails or that stops you from committing more than one die to its ultimate control feature. Finally, I am hearing contradictory interpretations regarding whether it is possible to uncommit its final control ability or not... any help would be appreciated.

My understanding of that Force power is that it affects probability/future outcomes (it uses the Unifying/Cosmic Force rather than the Living Force). So the success/failure of the actual skill check that the Force power "rides along" is irrelevant, as the power adjusts probability in the user's favour.

Furthermore, certain skill-related uses of the Enhance power provide examples of where the Force pips can add Successes to a failed skill roll, turning failure into success. The same goes for certain upgrades of the Farsight and Foresee powers, not to mention Influence and Manipulate.

As for the ultimate control upgrade ... *shrugs* ... I'd go with Sam in that case. I've always looked at that particular upgrade and thought "why would the user want to buy that one?"

Not being able to drop the committed dice makes sense. You hook yourself up to the Force and go where it takes you, good or bad. Think of it like "being in the moment". You lose partial control of yourself as a gamble to try and get extra success in your actions.

Remember the dialogue between Obi-Wan and Luke:

Obi-Wan: Remember, a Jedi can feel the Force flowing through him.
Luke: You mean it controls your actions?
Obi-Wan: Partially, but it also obeys your commands.

Sound like some Ebb/Flow to me :)