Cybernetics questions

By k7e9, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire RPG

Hi,

A few quick questions regarding cybernetics as I just picked up the Cyber Tech specialization.

How visible are cybernetics? For example the cybernetic implant that you can craft. Obviously it's possible to notice as you can spend advantages while crafting to get "unobtrusive" and add black dice to checks to determine that I have cybernetics installed. But how hard is it to notice? I mainly want cybernetics that are not showing in an obvius way.

Would implant armor be visible? Does it stack with normal armor?

Can cybernetic arms or legs be covered in synthflesh and disguised as normal arms or legs?

Thanks in advance!

I think there are several examples of how cyberware can be covered/disguised, but many other examples of how this is not the way things are typically done. It is likely that obvious bun unobtrusive cybernetics are the baseline, with both highly obvious "bling" pieces and difficult to detect covert pieces costing more.

And yes, implant armor stacks with other armor. I have ruled that it is as visible as having an artificial six-pack of abds added...but all over the torso.

Thanks!

I'll probably get things like the cyberscanner limb or similar cybernetics, that specifically mentiones beeing concealed by synthflesh. Then I'll probably craft a few implants and focus on spending most advantages/triumphs on the unobtrusive result to make it less visible. I kind of like the thought of having a few descrete upgrades installed.

Does the cost of the cybernetics include the cost to install them? I'm guessing I need a doctor or similar to surgically implant any cybernetics that I buy?

6 hours ago, k7e9 said:

Does the cost of the cybernetics include the cost to install them? I'm guessing I need a doctor or similar to surgically implant any cybernetics that I buy?

According to Special Modifications, "while a full medical facility can usually install cybernetics without a check, a PC might need to make a check when working in less than ideal circumstances." It's a Hard Medicine check and six hours. Unless a party member has a sufficient Medicine pool, you'd need to get it done in a hospital.

As for the price being included, you could really go either way. 10k for a cyber arm is more than the cost of many droids, and could be argued to therefore include the medical costs. IT can also be argued the other way, making a case from author's intent since purchasing multiple arms and never installing them would be the same cost.

For simplicity's sake, I would rule that purchasing a cybernetic is list price. If purchased by someone qualified to install it, it's installed for no additional charge. If you're buying it in a back alley from somebody you wouldn't trust to apply a band-aid, you'll need to seek out a medical facility or somebody who can install it, and I would likely add some charge onto it.

8 hours ago, k7e9 said:

Hi,

A few quick questions regarding cybernetics as I just picked up the Cyber Tech specialization.

How visible are cybernetics? For example the cybernetic implant that you can craft. Obviously it's possible to notice as you can spend advantages while crafting to get "unobtrusive" and add black dice to checks to determine that I have cybernetics installed. But how hard is it to notice? I mainly want cybernetics that are not showing in an obvius way.

Would implant armor be visible? Does it stack with normal armor?

Can cybernetic arms or legs be covered in synthflesh and disguised as normal arms or legs?

Thanks in advance!

How visisble? Are you wearing pants?.....Mandalorian could have cybernetic nipples that light up rainbow LED colors and you wouldn't know....

Well, if Luke's hand in the Empire Strikes Back is any indicator, yes, you can cover cybernetics with synthskin.

11 hours ago, 2P51 said:

How visisble? Are you wearing pants?.....Mandalorian could have cybernetic nipples that light up rainbow LED colors and you wouldn't know....

I am wearing pants. 😆 Mostly!

Mainly I was thinking about things like if cybernetic legs has a wider circumference, or edges and would be noticable even with pants. And if pantsless, would they be possible to cover in sythflesh to make the legs look normal. Cybernetic arms in a tank-top, would that be possible to cover it up with synthflesh and look normal.

Also I'm wondering if implants would be easily noticable while beeing frisked. The immune implant for example is described as installed under the flesh, but would it bulge or be unnoticable.

In general I have nothing against visible cybernetics but my current character would like to only get cybernetics that are discreet, even when shirt- or pantsless, even if it's mainly cosmetic.

Star Wars doesn't beat itself up with any kind of scientific fact one way or another. Point being if your PC wants their implants to be discreet and you have no issue, sounds fine to me. They make floating cities so cyber arms and legs that are warm and squishy to the touch doesn't seem like a big leap.

Another question, while reading the cybernetics crafting rules more carefully I realised that there are a lot of different cybernetics but the crafting rules in Special modifications only cover three different kinds of cybernetics. There's replacement limbs and organs, Cybernetic appendages (+1 brawn or +1 agility) or the Cybernetic Implant that gives +1 in a chosen general skill.

Are there any other rules for crafting a wider range of cybernetics in any other book?

Edited wanted to add another question specifically about the Cybernetic Implant you can craft or other implants that increase a skill like the Immune Implant that increases Resilience. Can these increase the skill beyond 5? Would a resilience 5 character end up at resilience 6 if getting the immune implant?

Edited by k7e9
Added an extra question
4 hours ago, k7e9 said:

Edited wanted to add another question specifically about the Cybernetic Implant you can craft or other implants that increase a skill like the Immune Implant that increases Resilience. Can these increase the skill beyond 5? Would a resilience 5 character end up at resilience 6 if getting the immune implant?

In the description for the cybernetics category, it specifies that cybernetics can raise skills and characteristics to one above the normal maximum, 6 for skills and 7 for characteristics.

4 hours ago, k7e9 said:

Another question, while reading the cybernetics crafting rules more carefully I realised that there are a lot of different cybernetics but the crafting rules in Special modifications only cover three different kinds of cybernetics. There's replacement limbs and organs, Cybernetic appendages (+1 brawn or +1 agility) or the Cybernetic Implant that gives +1 in a chosen general skill.

Are there any other rules for crafting a wider range of cybernetics in any other book?

Not exactly. There are some unique cybernetics that can't be crafted, just like there are unique weapons and armors, but many cybernetics can be crafted via creative use of Advantage.

1 minute ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

In the description for the cybernetics category, it specifies that cybernetics can raise skills and characteristics to one above the normal maximum, 6 for skills and 7 for characteristics.

Thanks! I've must have missed that part. I just started reading about cybernetics yesterday. I purchased the Cyber Tech specialization mainly to get Medicine as a career skill, as well as the Surgeon and Eye for Detail talents. But thought I'd look into cybernetics as well, as it is a big part of that specialization. :)