False Transponder Codes and Thread Tracers?

By player655164, in X-Wing Rules Questions

Hello,

If a ship with False Transponder Codes gets hit with thread tracers and multiple ships acquire a lock on a ship at the same time, how do you determine which ship is jammed due to False Transponder Codes' ability? I would guess that they all acquire a lock simultaneously and that the ship with False Transponder Codes chooses which ship to jam?

swz82_a1_upgrade_false-codes.png swz81_upgrade_s-tread-tracers.png

that's a great question. on one hand, the effect is just one effect, but i believe that each lock needs to be acquired individually, since "each friendly ship [...] may acquire a lock on the defender", as in you'd need to make a choice for each one. the ship doesn't just gain a bunch of tokens - and the effect doesn't say that it ignores range restrictions, so silly as it may be, each ships has to acquire a lock per the normal steps.

also, it's very rare in x-wing for anything to happen simultaneously, unless it's gaining several tokens from the same effect as outlined by the ruling on admiral sloane.

in essence, that would mean the attacker chooses in which order to assign the locks, since it's his or her ability to resolve.

i'm sure there will be someone who thinks differently, though.

Meffo is right. Since all of the locks are being obtained from the same trigger, the attacker would choose the order in which ships acquire their locks. Whichever ship the attacker chooses first to acquire lock, is jammed.