Farsight Control (Vigilance & Perception) multiple activations or not

By Fl1nt, in Game Masters

Hello 😃

Since last session, half of my Edge of the Empire group is Force-sensitive, so I’m currently in the progress of filling in the full descriptions of all the Force Powers for my Campaign-Group’s internal Wiki and came across something that has me at a disadvantage to be honest.

The Perception / Vigilance Control Upgrade of the Farsight Force power:
“When making a Vigilance or Perception check, you may roll a Farsight power check as part of that check.
You may spend :forcepoint: to gain either 1 :success: or 1 :advantage: (your choice) on the check.”

Now what baffles me is that there is not as usual any mentions of “May not be activated multiple times” but sadly there also is not alot of consistency in the Rulebooks and so in some it does explicitly say “May be activated multiple times” or “May not be activated multiple times” and some others like Savage Spirit where the Farsight Force power is from, does mention nothing of the sort.

So to make things easier for my players I want to describe the rules as explicit as possible,
but I can’t wrap my head around if it’s supposed to be a 1 time thing so capped at 1 Success / Advantage or a convert 1 or more FP into Successes / Advantages.

The duration upgrade also does not state that it can be activated multiple times, so this might be intentional (or simply oversight).

If both Upgrades would be one-time only, this would greatly limit the usability of this Force power to characters with higher Force Ratings.
(And making it more or less useless for the described use of making blind characters able to see normally except for very short amounts of time).

Am I missing something,
how would you guys handle this?
Thanks for any insights 😃

For skill-related uses of Force powers and/or their upgrades (e.g., Enhance, Influence, Farsight, Manipulate, and the initiative-related upgrade for Foresee), the general interpretation is that up to all the Force pips may be used.

Farsight's Duration upgrades also allow multiple pips to be spent.

And yes, I agree that the explanations could be a lot clearer than they are. :)

Hm fair interpretation.

Still puts me off though, in many cases them not mentioning that something can be activated more than once often times means it cannot.
It's probably fine to just rule it the way you say, but I'm still a bit unsure about this because of the very different wordings between for example the Influence Control upgrade and Farsight's Control and Duration upgrades.

I already searched through all the Dev-Answers but sadly this never came up and I guess asking the Devs is no longer a thing :(

I'm pretty sure the intention is that you can spend up to as many pips as you generate to add an equal number of Success and/or Advantage. I can't imagine that they would limit it to spending a single pip.

Besides, they didn't state that it can't be activated multiple times. So since the closest comparisons explicitly say you can, there's nothing indicating that you can't.

Thanks for the feedback :)
I will go with this and make them "can be activated multiple times" for my explicit rules descriptions.