interesting roleplaying scene ideas?

By Nagasadow81, in Your Stories

I've been trying to come up with interesting roleplaying scenes where my players did not expect. I thought we could share a few.

Here are two that my players loved:

1. I have been vaguely following winter's embrace. In the adventure there is a poetry competition. I set it up so that we had an intrigue and have the poetry competition at the same time. Since an intrigue can be set to last hours, it was fine to say that every round of intrigue also includes a round of the poetry competition. What they especially did not expect was that this particular competition took the form of a freestyle rap battle set to japanese freestyle beat. It was hilarious and whatever was said was not considered canon. You rapped, then rolled and the results determined if the crowd liked it or not.

2. A kemari competition was underway but a player was unable to play, and the judge/sports announcer was unable to join as well. I had two players play sports announcers and one player rolling to play. Mind you, none of my players knew what kemari was. I told them it was a ball game and they had to make everything up, including the guy going after the ball. We did two round and I told them afterwards and we had a great laugh.

How about you guys?

Ha, kemari is similar to playing hacky sack but with full court paraphernalia and everybody trying to keep their clothes and hats impeccable. It must be as funny as it sounds.

Granted, it's also not necessarily a competitive game, but you can have teams competing to see who can keep the ball from touching the ground longer.