Oi! Dat's My Hand!

By RLogue177, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire RPG

If a Besalisk (or Xexto or what have you) loses one of their hands (laser sword accidents or what have you), do they lose their special species ability?

Additional Limbs: gain an extra free maneuver once per turn.

And if so, how might they be compensated for it? If they got a replacement cyber hand for it, would the ability come back?

I mean, you could do un-hand-related maneuvers? You could still bludgeon someone with a stump.

I wouldn't compensate them, losing abilities is sometimes part of the game and this one in particular is fairly easy to fix.

37 minutes ago, RLogue177 said:

If a Besalisk (or Xexto or what have you) loses one of their hands (laser sword accidents or what have you), do they lose their special species ability?

And if so, how might they be compensated for it? If they got a replacement cyber hand for it, would the ability come back?

Nah, double clapping would be out, but I wouldn't get into that much granularity.

Pretty much what the others have said. They would still have three other hands, and, since they only get one extra attack, then that can easily be done with one of the other three hands. Now, if the individual in question lost two hands, leaving him with only two useable hands, then, yes, I’d say he’d lose that species ability until he could get cybernetic replacement hands.

If you chop off the hand of a human player, do you compensate them because they can no longer pull off their dual-wield build?

It is part of the story to get cybernetic replacement or learn to life with the resulting consequences.

As long as any species with the rule about additional limbs has at least 3 left they should be able to still use it, the utility arm upgrade also works with "only 3 limbs" when upgraded.

13 hours ago, RLogue177 said:

If they still have three limbs, they still have ability. If they then lose another hand/arm, I would remove the ability. Replacing the limbs with cybernetics would restore the ability.

I do not believe this is covered anywhere in the RAW, but I believe that is the best way to handle it.

If you look at the mechanics of the ability, it doesn't necessarily require using those extra arms or even any limbs. The extra maneuver could be used to move or something like Scathing Tirade (Supreme). Losing a hand wouldn't really matter at all in such cases.

3 hours ago, HappyDaze said:

If you look at the mechanics of the ability, it doesn't necessarily require using those extra arms or even any limbs. The extra maneuver could be used to move or something like Scathing Tirade (Supreme). Losing a hand wouldn't really matter at all in such cases.

It's kinda weird the way the special ability is worded, considering the number of maneuvers that are not hand-related.

Of course the real issue is that it's kinda ill-fitting for simply having 4 arms, and it doesn't break the maneuver limit, which means all the ability really says is "Your 2nd maneuver each turn costs no strain."....which again is...odd. Why does having 4 arms mean your next maneuver isn't straining? You're still attempting to do more in a limited amount of time. Plus, picking up a couple strain via extra maneuvers doesn't play into the fact that they've got 7+WP strain. They should strain more easily not less. Plus it's duplicative of Xexto.

Anyway, just a minor nit pick.

36 minutes ago, False God said:

Plus, picking up a couple strain via extra maneuvers doesn't play into the fact that they've got 7+WP strain. They should strain more easily not less.

That could be a balance point. The lower base ST is likely because they will get a lot more use out of second maneuvers than most characters. With the right builds, taking second maneuvers gives some awesome options, and being able to do it without taking Strain is pretty powerful.

That said, I think the Besalisk is pretty underwhelming compared to the Harch, which certainly do not start with a below average ST.