Am I reading Ten Numb correctly?

By Dicewarrior, in X-Wing Rules Questions

Ten Numb's ability seems quite good for a 48pt. pilot. He's getting rid of stress for mods? Am I missing something?

29 minutes ago, Dicewarrior said:

Ten Numb's ability seems quite good for a 48pt. pilot. He's getting rid of stress for mods? Am I missing something?

Nope that's pretty much it! He just risks not rolling a Focus result to use his ability on.

Think of it this way, you forfeit your choice of action and are forced to take a focus for a stress maneuver. This "focus" is also not very good since you risk remaining stressed next turn if you do not find a way to get rid of it.

1 hour ago, player655164 said:

Think of it this way, you forfeit your choice of action and are forced to take a focus for a stress maneuver. This "focus" is also not very good since you risk remaining stressed next turn if you do not find a way to get rid of it.

no, you can get both focus and stress from performing a focus action linked to a red barrel roll (a barrel roll you can also fail and still get the stress if you have the opportunity), or with the s-foils equipped link a barrel roll to a red lock action. also, it has nothing to do with a stress maneuver. i think you're referring to a red maneuver. "stress maneuver" is a game term used to describe to the white straight 2 maneuver you have to perform if you reveal a red maneuver while stressed.

braylen is still better than ten, though.

On 1/15/2021 at 4:38 PM, player655164 said:

There are plenty of ways for Ten to get stress other than red maneuvers.

If you want to actively trigger combos, then it's the red actions you need to look for.

The way to look at red maneuvers is to realise that any other pilot (not including Braylen) would perform that maneuver and only get stress. Ten gets a focus out of it and a way to shed the stress. If you look at his ability as a bonus when you would need to do a red maneuver anyway, you start to realise how good it is.

On 1/15/2021 at 5:50 PM, meffo said:

Naked v naked, yes. Braylen is also easier to trigger the double mods thanks to the linked action order meaning you don't even need your barrel roll to fit.

But with s-foils and FCS involved, I'm really not sure it's that clear cut. With those, Ten costs the same as naked Braylen and comes out stronger offensively. It's not hard to roll into red lock and leave Ten with his stress focus and a lock, which is better than Braylen if you blank out. Most crucially, he gets to do it all over again next turn if just one eye result comes up on attack or defence. But you might not even need to if FCS let you keep the lock. You can also potentially double mod one round, keep the lock, spend the stress and then red talllon roll the next round to keep guns on and still be double modded - Braylen can never do that by himself. Braylen at his height absolutely depended on Cassian, but now that it's not so easy to build a list around that, he struggles. Ten is the better 52 points to fill a list with as he's more independent, IMO. Braylen is better if you build the list round him. They're both amazing if you run them together.

On 1/15/2021 at 11:50 AM, meffo said:

Arguable. Ten gets to turnaround on occasion since he destresses himself. Braylen's time on target can suffer without Cassion rubbing his shoulders to destress.

Braylen = better mods.

Ten = more time on target.

I personally think Rebs would have taken Worlds if it had been Ten on the table.

(... just a comment about that game, not the overall journey of getting to Final Table. Braylen still so guuud.)

30 minutes ago, JBFancourt said:

I personally think Rebs would have taken Worlds if it had been Ten on the table. (... just a comment about that game, not the overall journey of getting to Final Table. Braylen still so guuud.)

I think DT might have taken Ten if the S-Foils were out at that point. But at that point, with Hot Shots and Aces a few months out, Braylen probably made more sense.