New player questions

By The Spider, in Mansions of Madness

Hi all.

I am currently playing my first ever game of MoM 2ed.

I am playing solo with 2 investigators and the MoM app.

Question: If both investigators are adjacent to a search token and say this token needs to be resolved using the Lore stat, do they combine they're Lore skill?

If so what other interactions can they combine skills to resolve?

Is it best to stick together in order to have a better chance at resolving events and encounters?

Many thanks :)

Edited by The Spider

First- I hope you like this game. It is one of my favorites.

Second, IIRC, you cannot "team up" and combine players actions or stats in such a way, although that is an intriguing idea. You activate one character, and do their two (or more) actions, and then activate another character.

I have never played solo, only mult-player. I find that you usually have to split up, although not too far away in case you need help. You might want to play solo with 4 characters so that you can at lease have teams of two.

Enjoy the game!

17 minutes ago, vsolfronk said:

First- I hope you like this game. It is one of my favorites.

Second, IIRC, you cannot "team up" and combine players actions or stats in such a way, although that is an intriguing idea. You activate one character, and do their two (or more) actions, and then activate another character.

I have never played solo, only mult-player. I find that you usually have to split up, although not too far away in case you need help. You might want to play solo with 4 characters so that you can at lease have teams of two.

Enjoy the game!

Many thanks for the reply vsolfronk.

I have never played a board game of this sort. Chess, monopoly, when I was a kid is about it.

I am really, really loving the game and app! Its so much fun. I always loved turn based strategy games on my PC but playing this board game has really opened my eyes to something I wished I had discovered years ago.

I spoke with some friends today and arranged our first games night when we get back to a time when people can mix freely again. Gives us all something to look forward to :)

Please forgive me for asking a few more questions.

When setting up the game and placing wall tiles etc, before the investigators first turn, I was prompted to place a barricade against a door.

If I decide on my investigators turn to explore that door, do I first need to use one of my turns to remove the barricade?

If both investors are adjacent to a door, one has used both turns, the second has one turn left. He uses that turn to activate the explore token and reveal the next room.

The app says you may now enter the room. Do they both automatically enter the room at the start of the next investors turn without using a move turn?

I have just encountered my first creature, a hunting horror. The creature lets out an unholy screech. Then the text says suffer 2 horror (Will negates) Does this mean I automatically ignore the effect if my will is more than 2?

Cheers :)

Edited by The Spider

Usually the barricades have to be moved to form a barricade, although it depends on the scenario. If it is already there, I think you have to move it.

Yes, you would have to remove the barrier and then explore. No- both cannot enter, only the one that explores a/o moves into the room. While not in the rules per se, you could have one player do one action (pause) and allow another character to do one or more actions, and go back to the first character- It is your game (and remembering how many a actions a character has left could be tricky). Rules wise- you have to do one character before moving to another, but again, your rules and the games doesn't really track that.

HH- your character would roll a number of dice equal your will (usually) and two successes would negate the HH effect. Sometime you get bonus dice, sometimes less dice.

Have fun!

13 hours ago, vsolfronk said:

Usually the barricades have to be moved to form a barricade, although it depends on the scenario. If it is already there, I think you have to move it.

Yes, you would have to remove the barrier and then explore. No- both cannot enter, only the one that explores a/o moves into the room. While not in the rules per se, you could have one player do one action (pause) and allow another character to do one or more actions, and go back to the first character- It is your game (and remembering how many a actions a character has left could be tricky). Rules wise- you have to do one character before moving to another, but again, your rules and the games doesn't really track that.

HH- your character would roll a number of dice equal your will (usually) and two successes would negate the HH effect. Sometime you get bonus dice, sometimes less dice.

Have fun!

Many thanks once again for the info :)