The “Besh” Wolfpack Ever?

By Synel, in X-Wing Squad Lists

Title not meant to be literal, but it occurred to me that Wolfpack with Besh-equipped i2 Nimbuses is almost like advanced optics? Here’s what I mean, the v wings and LAAT roll up and focus, like they always do. Because the LAAT isn’t likely going to be destroyed in the first round, it’s not an ideal target, especially if it reinforces. But the v wings could potentially disappear. If the v wings are attacked, they can use Wolfpack to gain a lock and hit back harder. If ayla can flank correctly, she can help preserve a strained v wing and make revenge shots hurt more. There’s good reason to find points for warthog. I just kinda stopped at this when I realized the thing about Wolfpack and besh.

New Squadron

(49) 212th Battalion Pilot [Laat/i Gunship]
(4) Wolfpack
(9) Seventh Fleet Gunner

(51) Aayla Secura [Eta-2 Actis]

(27) Loyalist Volunteer [Nimbus-class V-wing]
(2) Alpha-3B "Besh"

(2) Alpha-3B "Besh"

(2) Alpha-3B "Besh"

Total points: 200

113 points of support for 3 two attack dice ships doesn’t seem worth it.
If you want to try wolfpack, I would take it with the R2-D2 Y-Wing (which has a crew slot!) and a turret. So you can get a nice 180 degree arc for the ability.

10 minutes ago, KaLeu said:

If you want to try wolfpack, I would take it with the R2-D2 Y-Wing (which has a crew slot!) and a turret. So you can get a nice 180 degree arc for the ability.

Agreed, though another option is to bring it on a generic ARC-170. Also two arcs, though not as flexible/wide(can't do front and side).

I really like the R2-D2 idea though, it's cheaper, so you can bring more toys, like this list:

R2-D2 (31)
Ion Cannon Turret (5)
Wolfpack (4)
Hull Upgrade (3)

Ship total: 43 Half Points: 22 Threshold: 5

Aayla Secura (51)
Marksmanship (1)
Autoblasters (3)
R7-A7 (3)

Ship total: 58 Half Points: 29 Threshold: 2

Loyalist Volunteer (27)
Synchronized Console (1)
Alpha-3B "Besh" (2)
Thermal Detonators (3)

Ship total: 33 Half Points: 17 Threshold: 2

Loyalist Volunteer (27)
Synchronized Console (1)
Alpha-3B "Besh" (2)
Thermal Detonators (3)

Loyalist Volunteer (27)
Synchronized Console (1)
Alpha-3B "Besh" (2)
Thermal Detonators (3)

Total: 200

Edited by Cerebrawl

This is my current HS Wolfpack build that’s doing pretty well. Originally had a v-wing but subbed it for Tucker who can generally take an evade, and end up with a lock and focus too.

HS Wolfpack

(31) R2-D2 [BTL-B Y-wing]
(4) Wolfpack
(1) Synchronized Console
(5) Adv. Proton Torpedoes
(2) Dorsal Turret

(42) 104th Battalion Pilot [ARC-170 Starfighter]
(1) Synchronized Console

(1) Synchronized Console

(1) Synchronized Console

(27) "Tucker" [V-19 Torrent Starfighter]
(1) Synchronized Console

Total points: 200

4 hours ago, KaLeu said:

I do get the point. But i don’t think it’s 113 of pure support. Ayla can be an elusive, acey ship, her ability just helps the others be better without costing her a force to activate the ability. At r1, a bullseye shot is more likely. Fire convergence can take a completely blank roll on a v wing and make it half better (probably) so the v wing can make it a solid 2 hits with focus and besh. Furthermore, 9th fleet gunner makes any of these attacks 3- or 4- dice attacks (bullseye/range-considering). So, if one or two super-consistent v wings are hitting each turn, that could be the threat in itself, right?

I agree with Ayla beeing a force by herself. And the combo looks fine but there are too much 3 Agility ships out there and those V-Wings are not RZ-2s who can fire backwards. But it looks fun.

If you are looking for a LAAT with wolfpack + some cheap ships I think using concussion missile torrents would be better than v-wings. That extra dice is really nice, specially since they can reroll with fire convergence. Maybe use ion missiles instead if you want to save some points, probably drop seventh fleet gunner for another missile on the LAAT too (you end up with a pretty different list tho).