Ion tokens but not ionized

By WanouMars, in X-Wing Rules Questions

Hi all :)

This may have been answered before, but I couldn't find the answer.

What happens to ion tokens on a ship which is not ionized? Ex: large base ship with 1 ion token, after an attack.

Does the ion token go away at the end phase?
Does it remain until ion maneuver is executed (and so has to be ionized first by subsequent ion shots)? If so, is there a way to remove it by executing a blue maneuver, as example?
Does it do something else?

WanouMars

The ion stays thru the end phase .. once a large ship has three, it executes the ion move. Two for a medium base.

In the rules, it says that round tokens are removed during the end phase. Ion tokens are square.

they stay with the ship until it performs an ion maneuver or are removed by some other means. they are not round tokens, so they are not removed during the end phase.

the only tokens you get rid of by performing a blue maneuver are one stress, one deplete and one strain.

please note that tractor tokens, disarm tokens and all green tokens (focus, evade, calculate, reinforce) are round tokens, so they are removed during the end phase. diamond tokens are kept until removed by other game effects. they include locks, cloak tokens, ion, deplete and stress.

probably missed some description of tokens here, but anyways... ;)

Thank you, both, for the clarification :)

I can't believe I have missed this mechanics for years! I like it even better now! :D

6 hours ago, WanouMars said:

I can't believe I have missed this mechanics for years! I like it even better now! :D

When in doubt, check the latest Rules Reference. Ion can be found on page 13 of the current rules reference. There is a bit more that is involved with an ionized ship.

LZtNeuY.png