Resolving Responses

By Ely Hill, in The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game

Just a quick question. If I would like to trigger a response, but can only fulfill a part of it can the response be triggered? Let's say for example that I have a character with Light of Valinor attached, and I then play The Free People. Would I be able to apply the willpower boost to the ready character since I did not ready it?

39 minutes ago, Ely Hill said:

Just a quick question. If I would like to trigger a response, but can only fulfill a part of it can the response be triggered? Let's say for example that I have a character with Light of Valinor attached, and I then play The Free People. Would I be able to apply the willpower boost to the ready character since I did not ready it?

Just to be clear, The Free People is not a Response, it's an action and has two effects, neither of which is a Response.

Anyways the two effects are independent from one another (notice also how the first phrase applies to all characters in play, while the second one only to character you control), usually if the first part of an effect is mandatory to trigger the second one there is "Then," at the start of the second phrase.

Ah, that makes sense. Thank you.

43 minutes ago, Ely Hill said:

Ah, that makes sense. Thank you.

Another way to phrase a Response conditional on something else would have been "do A to do B" where "to" is the crucial world and "A" is the cost for "B".

If you want an example more close to your question let's look at Sam Gamgee (the Leadership hero), it was clarified by Caleb himself that even if Sam is already ready (sorry fo the bad pun) when you engage an enemy with an engagement cost higher than you threat Sam would still get the stat bonuses, since there was no Then or To.

Ally Sam Gamgee (Spirit) instead is an example of a conditional response. Since there is a "to" in the middle of the sentence if you do not spend the Spirit resource you do not ready Sam and he does not get the stat bonuses since spending the resource was the cost of the response.