New player, some questions

By Ilostmycactus, in Star Wars: Armada Rules Questions

We're on the 3rd round of the intro game for the clone wars sets. I have a few questions.

1. For a ship attacking squadrons: So you can attack as many squadrons that are in your arc with your hull attack. If say 2 squadrons are at medium distance and one is at long distance, can you attack all 3? Or can you only attack at one range?

2. Can squadrons move through ships?

3. If you save a token for later, are you allowed to use both the token and that round's dial at the same time? Otherwise it seems you'd end up always having one extra thing.

4. What happens if you're stuck in a ram? I have a hardcell that can't go anywhere because a consular moved in front of it. They've both taken the one point of damage. If my opponent decides not to activate that ship again before I activate the hardcell, am I forced to ram again?

5. Is there a method for moving squadrons other than putting them on top of the distance ruler then removing it? It is kind of fiddly with positioning.

6. I realize ships are supposed to collide if close, but why can't they go through each other? I feel like 3d space collisions would be easier to avoid if accidental. Has anyone tried making rules for 3 dimensional play? Just curious.

7. What's a good way to organize tokens?

8. Do ships always start at speed 2?

9. After a defense token is spent when exhausted and discarded, is it gone forever?

Thanks for the help. I'm sure I'll have more later on but that's as far as we've gotten.

1. You attack with your anti squadron armament not the hull battery out of that particular arc. If you had a ship with a black and a blue anti squad armament it could shoot out of say the front at every enemy squadron in arc. At close range you would roll black & blue at each. At medium range targets you would only roll a blue at each since black dice only shoot at close range. Then with your second shot you could shoot a ship or do anti squadron all again but out of a different arc.

2. Yes, and move through other ships, squadrons and obstacles with no penalty. You cannot end a movement overlapping a ship or fighter but can overlap obstacles.

3. Yes you can. A squadron value 3 ship would get to activate 3+1 squadrons. A Ship with Engineering 4 would get 4+2 repair points etc.

4. You can get stuck in a ramming scenario with neither ship able to escape. Note if you ram a ship at speed 3 you may be able to hop over next time and get clear but if the landing zone is crowded out or you are slower you may not be able to get past and so each ship keeps ramming and taking a hull card and I assume shooting the cr*p out of each other.

5. Buy a set of these http://www.cogotwo.com/armada-compatible/armada-movement-rulers-detail

6. You can get past if you can land in a clear spot representing the 3D nature of space. But if you can't land in a clear spot you overlap which doesn't necessarily represent hulls colliding but could be close range tractor beams, ships shooting some weapons from within each others shields etc. I can't imagine a set of rules that would fill your requirements that isn't 5+ pages of what if's and advanced interaction scenarios. Currently the ramming rules aren't great but they are simple and you know where you are when you get close.

7. Fishing tackle bait box or DIY screw & washer organizer box.

8. No. When you deploy a ship you set its speed there and then. You must pick a speed that your ship can do and cannot pick speed zero except in certain circumstances near Interdictor grav wells.

9. Yep gone for good. Usually.
- Waylex Blissex Rebel officer can get you one back.
- Imperial commander Tagge can bring back dead defense tokens on certain turns.
- If playing the Asteroid Tactics scenario from the Rebellion In the Rim expansion you can get tokens back in some cases.

Edited by Mad Cat
6 hours ago, Mad Cat said:

1. You attack with your anti squadron armament not the hull battery out of that particular arc. If you had a ship with a black and a blue anti squad armament it could shoot out of say the front at every enemy squadron in arc. At close range you would roll black & blue at each. At medium range targets you would only roll a blue at each since black dice only shoot at close range. Then with your second shot you could shoot a ship or do anti squadron all again but out of a different arc.

2. Yes, and move through other squadrons and obstacles with no penalty. You cannot end a movement overlapping a ship or fighter but can overlap obstacles.

3. Yes you can. A squadron value 3 ship would get to activate 3+1 squadrons. A Ship with Engineering 4 would get 4+2 repair points etc.

4. You can get stuck in a ramming scenario with neither ship able to escape. Note if you ram a ship at speed 3 you may be able to hop over next time and get clear but if the landing zone is crowded out or you are slower you may not be able to get past and so each ship keeps ramming and taking a hull card and I assume shooting the cr*p out of each other.

5. Buy a set of these http://www.cogotwo.com/armada-compatible/armada-movement-rulers-detail

6. You can get past if you can land in a clear spot representing the 3D nature of space. But if you can't land in a clear spot you overlap which doesn't necessarily represent hulls colliding but could be close range tractor beams, ships shooting some weapons from within each others shields etc. I can't imagine a set of rules that would fill your requirements that isn't 5+ pages of what if's and advanced interaction scenarios. Currently the ramming rules aren't great but they are simple and you know where you are when you get close.

7. Fishing tackle bait box or DIY screw & washer organizer box.

8. No. When you deploy a ship you set its speed there and then. You must pick a speed that your ship can do and cannot pick speed zero except in certain circumstances near Interdictor grav wells.

9. Yep gone for good. Usually.
- Waylex Blissex Rebel officer can get you one back.
- Imperial commander Tagge can bring back dead defense tokens on certain turns.
- If playing the Asteroid Tactics scenario from the Rebellion In the Rim expansion you can get tokens back in some cases.

Thanks so much!

Let me clarify a bit:

1. I'm aware I use the anti squadron weapons. For the one shot per arc I get (shooting multiple squadrons or one enemy hull zone), I can shoot squadrons at multiple ranges? If there were three squadrons at three different ranges, I could shoot all of them? Just wondering if there is a range band attack limit.

4&6. So my interpretation from the example in the booklet was that if there was any ship in the way and you were at a perpendicular enough angle, you couldn't move period because your ship wouldn't be able to turn enough to have space. But you're saying other ships don't act as a solid barrier and you can get by them if you go fast enough? That sounds a lot better. Where could I find that elaboration to the rule?

8. That's cool, it didn't explain that at all.

10. Am I correct that accuracy's cancellation of a defense token is only per that specific attack? It doesn't exhaust the defense token?

11. We've been playing that each round each ship gets one new command dial, correct?

1. If your anti squadron armament (often unofficially called the Flak armament) has only black dice then you can shoot all enemy squads in close range and in arc. If you have any blue Flak dice expand that to medium range and if any red flak dice expand this to long range.
For example the SSD Executor II has a red blue and a black flak armament so for one of its attacks it can shoot all squads in range and arc with the appropiate colours. So long range just a red, medium range Blue + red, Close range Black blue & red. All these shots count as one of your two attacks (actually huge ships like SSDs can shoot three times a turn but leave that until later in your playing career)

4&6 The updated rules reference guide is on this page near the bottom. New Rules of Engagement - Fantasy Flight Games

10. Yes only for that attack.

11. Yes each turn each ship reveals a command. check the command value of the ship as you have to set a new command at the beginning of the turn then reveal it as you activate that ship. With command 1 this is how it works. With command 2 you set a command stack of 2 commands and add a new one to the bottom but reveal the top one so you are setting commands with a 1 turn delay. Command 3 you have a stack of 3 and a few ships have command 4.

There are a few upgrades where you can do more than one command dial per turn such as Thrawn, Piet, Pursuant.