L-2783 from special modifications flies in atmosphere?

By orionchristensen, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire RPG

I was wondering if the deep space recovery vessel L-2783 can operate in atmosphere? sounds like it doesn't "deep space recovery" and all that, the trick is if it will rely on shuttles to get stuff to and from a surface, I can't think of any salvage shuttles, and all the salvager speeders are the same size as a shuttle anyway so I was wondering if/how this vessel would use a salvaging shuttle to get people and equipment to and from a planet surface to salvage items from a planet surface. the speeder salvagers I am looking at are the j-15, trl-03 skyclaw and the UH-xh heavy work platform from the same book.

I don't see anything that says it can't, and since ships aren't burdened by gravity or intertia or science foolishness in Star Wars I don't see why it would be so big a deal if it at least hovered very low like an ISD.

The thing carries more salvage pods (50!) than its modest crew would likely ever use. Being that this is Star Wars, these can probably be used to ferry to/from a planetary surface if, for some reason, you don't intend to land the ship.

"Deep space" is an adjective that modifies "recovery." It is a vessel for "deep space recovery," not a "deep space vessel" for recovery.
(However, it is designed for deep space salvage operations, and as such is likely nor the ideal choice for atmospheric operations, which are different in nature)

That's kind of a mess of a grammatical breakdown, but on to the actual question, yes it can operate in atmosphere, as pretty much all ships can in Star Wars. The only question is whether or not it can actually land on the planet, which is less common.

The basic question at play here is "Can it land on an open tarmac/field?" The answer here, based on the picture here, would be no in my opinion. It has a ventral fin that comes down fairly far, and would obstruct landing procedures unless it has some really long legs.

However, it could certainly dock in atmosphere at an appropriate facility. It need not be one tailored explicitly to this craft, but merely one that provides sufficient clearance, comparable to dry docks for large warships. Not unlike the below picture, if it will appear properly.

An alternative would be to dock at a space station. That, in my opinion, would be more common and is likely the standard practice.

Learning Pearl Harbor: What Is a Dry Dock? - Visit Pearl Harbor

thanks guys, you answered my question well. since we pretty much agree it can operate in atmosphere, I'm going to use it to descend to atmosphere, launch a salvage speeder, the salvage speeder can haul the wreck back to the ship, then dock, and the ship can ascend to space, and hyperspeed off.

15 hours ago, HappyDaze said:

The thing carries more salvage pods (50!) than its modest crew would likely ever use. Being that this is Star Wars, these can probably be used to ferry to/from a planetary surface if, for some reason, you don't intend to land the ship.

I was thinking those pods used some sort of EVA network of low power to weight ratio thrusters for EVA not "zomg super fast acceleration fighter jet engines!" like we see in say an x-wing or an f-15 fighter (according to this video the f-15 fighter has enough power in its engines to resist gravity without wings: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M359poNjvVA ) anyways I feel like it would make more sense to sometimes ferry a small wreck from a planet surface in entirety back to the ship and just salvage it in the ship hangar rather than taking it appart bit by bit like the salvage pods and a deep space operation would do. im sure salvaging small wrecks in space could be achieved by the pods towing the small wreck into the hanger but the pods won't have to fight with gravity in deep space, just inertia.

Edited by orionchristensen
fixed the link added clarification

It's been answered, but I would agree it should be able to easily enter atmosphere and at least hover wherever it wants. There are so many examples in Star Wars that suggests anti-gravity (repulsorlifts) are very cheap and very ubiquitous. Ships are seen just idling while hovering like it's no big deal, cheaply and easily done. I don't see a reason the designers would not include it if the tech is so common. Ships in Star Wars are staying in orbit not because they can't land (or at least hover), but because it is more tactical or economical to remain in orbit.

2 hours ago, Sturn said:

It's been answered, but I would agree it should be able to easily enter atmosphere and at least hover wherever it wants. There are so many examples in Star Wars that suggests anti-gravity (repulsorlifts) are very cheap and very ubiquitous. Ships are seen just idling while hovering like it's no big deal, cheaply and easily done. I don't see a reason the designers would not include it if the tech is so common. Ships in Star Wars are staying in orbit not because they can't land (or at least hover), but because it is more tactical or economical to remain in orbit.

Or because of local laws. My SUV doesn't have to remain in a lane and wait for a turnaround to do a u-turn; I could just go across the median strip---but I don't...usually.

5 hours ago, orionchristensen said:

I was thinking those pods used some sort of EVA network of low power to weight ratio thrusters for EVA not "zomg super fast acceleration fighter jet engines!" like we see in say an x-wing or an f-15 fighter (according to this video the f-15 fighter has enough power in its engines to resist gravity without wings: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M359poNjvVA ) anyways I feel like it would make more sense to sometimes ferry a small wreck from a planet surface in entirety back to the ship and just salvage it in the ship hangar rather than taking it appart bit by bit like the salvage pods and a deep space operation would do. im sure salvaging small wrecks in space could be achieved by the pods towing the small wreck into the hanger but the pods won't have to fight with gravity in deep space, just inertia.

robin-konieczny-tug-frame-5-concpt-a-sun

7 hours ago, orionchristensen said:

the pods won't have to fight with gravity in deep space, just inertia.

Fighting gravity is basic stuff in Star Wars. There's no reason to believe that the pods cannot move to/from an atmosphere or even land on a surface (without crashing). Of course, it would have been swell if they had actually given them stats...

Awww... USS Port Royal. CG-73.

I was stationed on USS Leyte Gulf, CG-55. I have also seen her in dry dock at Ingall's Shipyard.