Future Article Topics (for Max Brooke, designer)

By Stormshrug, in Legend of the Five Rings: The Roleplaying Game

Hello forum-goers,

I'm Max Brooke, lead designer on this edition of L5R and developer on lots of other FFG RPGs over the years. As these forums reach their twilight days, I wanted to extend an offer I've been putting up on a few boards from games I worked on over the years.

I've started a blog (over at https://www.maxbrooke.com/articles ) where I talk shop on design, so if any of you folks have suggestions for future topics, I'd love to hear them.

Obviously, I can't promise to address any given topic, but if there are design theory subjects you're interested in hearing about from my experience on L5R (or Warhammer 40k Roleplaying, or Star Wars Roleplaying), let me know!

I hope everyone's new year is starting out well (or at least better than the last one), and thanks for taking the time to come here and show your enthusiasm by talking about this game!

It would be interesting to hear why you changed the bits you changed and why you kept the bits that were kept.

It’s not necessarily a critique but a curiosity.
It always felt to me that the game development had 2 different visions: one more tactical and the other more narrative and somehow neither won but they compromised (no pun intended) on what was eventually published. My observation for this is how skirmishes, duels and mass battle work so vastly different in their approaches.

So, I guess my question is: were there different teams working on these different aspects of chapter 6 or there were 2 teams working side by side with different ideas and then they got somehow merged?

Also, when can we expect a functioning website for edge studio?

Would you consider doing (by license??) an L5R version of the Armello electronic boardgame? The mechanics are perfect.

The different meanings of tactical and how tactical roleplaying does not require a grid or minis, and how to get that tactical decision-making in all kind of scenarios (social, investigation, etc) and how to center tactical/strategic considerations using only mechanics/character abilities.

I ask because these must have been points that different approaches have been designed and implemented for Only War, L5R and Star Wars.

Edited by Agonizing Crimson