New to the game, should I start playing with the expansion pack?

By LostFleet, in Star Wars: Rebellion

Hello everyone,

I bought this game and also I got the expansion pack as well a few years ago but did not have a chance to play as I played Armada mostly.

Should I start playing the original game for a while and then should I incorporate the parts of expansion pack, or should I start playing with the parts of the expansion pack immediately?

17 hours ago, LostFleet said:

Hello everyone,

I bought this game and also I got the expansion pack as well a few years ago but did not have a chance to play as I played Armada mostly.

Should I start playing the original game for a while and then should I incorporate the parts of expansion pack, or should I start playing with the parts of the expansion pack immediately?

I think that you can incorporate the expansion right away. The biggest difference is the combat cards and how the tactic values of the leaders are applied and as it was completely changed, so you won't gain any experience on that by playing only the base game. Sure with the expansion you have some more units to choose from and check their stats and abbilities, but it won't be much more complex than playing the base alone.

Edited by Lemmiwinks86
On 1/2/2021 at 6:30 PM, Lemmiwinks86 said:

Sure with the expansion you have some more units to choose from and check their stats and abbilities,

Thank you,

Can I just incorporate the combat cards now and add new units in later games?

4 hours ago, LostFleet said:

Thank you,

Can I just incorporate the combat cards now and add new units in later games?

Yes. You won't be able to use the stronger effects of the cards that feature the new units, but it can work. Take into account that is not just the combat cards, the whole combat was modified. The tactic value of the leaders in that system is not used to determine how many tactic cards you draw but how many dice you can reroll each combat round. Also, the tactics icon on the dice (the crossed lightsabers) aren't used for drawing extra tactic cards but to remove damage from the units.

16 hours ago, Lemmiwinks86 said:

Take into account that is not just the combat cards, the whole combat was modified. The tactic value of the leaders in that system is not used to determine how many tactic cards you draw but how many dice you can reroll each combat round

Thanks again for the info :)

We will try to play few games before the forum closes at the end of january so I can ask my last questions about the game