Beskar

By ImperialYeet, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire RPG

The game puts the soak at two soak if I'm correct. However, with the Mando getting the crud beat out of him, six soak feels appropriate. (FIY, the context for this is me GMing a game with two PC Mandos)

26 minutes ago, ImperialYeet said:

The game puts the soak at two soak if I'm correct. However, with the Mando getting the crud beat out of him, six soak feels appropriate. (FIY, the context for this is me GMing a game with two PC Mandos)

Well, if he's got 3 Brawn, that puts it up to 5 total. Add Armor Master and Superior Armor Customization, and that's 7. With Improved Armor Master, he's got 2 Defense as well. Then add the Cortosis quality, and he's ignoring Pierce.

With 2 Setback dice for Defense, you have a 5/9 chance of rolling at least 1 Failure, which either increases soak by 1 for all intents and purposes or can even cause an attack to fail, representing the armor deflecting or stopping any bolts that contact the armor.

So 7 Soak, 2/2 Defense, Cortosis, looks pretty good to me. Add a high WT, and he can take the bleed-through damage. Something else important to consider is how many rounds are represented by a given combat scene. For example, when he's going to throw the explosives at the stormtroopers in the hallway of the Gozanti, I'd say that's just a single round, meaning 1 attack by the stormtroopers. They attack and hit. For the sake of argument, let's say they don't get that second Auto-Fire hit because of Threat generated by the Setback from Defense. Then they deal 12 damage before Soak, which comes out to 5 wounds.
On Mando's turn, he spend a Maneuver to move into Short range, then throws the explosives. He narrates the stormtroopers' attacks as happening while he is running down the hallway towards them.

1 hour ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

Well, if he's got 3 Brawn, that puts it up to 5 total. Add Armor Master and Superior Armor Customization, and that's 7. With Improved Armor Master, he's got 2 Defense as well. Then add the Cortosis quality, and he's ignoring Pierce.

With 2 Setback dice for Defense, you have a 5/9 chance of rolling at least 1 Failure, which either increases soak by 1 for all intents and purposes or can even cause an attack to fail, representing the armor deflecting or stopping any bolts that contact the armor.

So 7 Soak, 2/2 Defense, Cortosis, looks pretty good to me. Add a high WT, and he can take the bleed-through damage. Something else important to consider is how many rounds are represented by a given combat scene. For example, when he's going to throw the explosives at the stormtroopers in the hallway of the Gozanti, I'd say that's just a single round, meaning 1 attack by the stormtroopers. They attack and hit. For the sake of argument, let's say they don't get that second Auto-Fire hit because of Threat generated by the Setback from Defense. Then they deal 12 damage before Soak, which comes out to 5 wounds.
On Mando's turn, he spend a Maneuver to move into Short range, then throws the explosives. He narrates the stormtroopers' attacks as happening while he is running down the hallway towards them.

All your points are valid and correct. Which means my problem is with the soak system. Basically, Beskar will stop anything short of a blaster cannon, so the only damage being inflicted is bruises. 3-4 wounds are big bruises.

42 minutes ago, ImperialYeet said:

All your points are valid and correct. Which means my problem is with the soak system. Basically, Beskar will stop anything short of a blaster cannon, so the only damage being inflicted is bruises. 3-4 wounds are big bruises.

Anything that gets into unprotected areas or gets close enough to leave burns would create wounds.

I narrate "wounds" differently based on what sort of armor is being worn.

2 hours ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

The great problem with this is that Superior Armor Customization and Cortosis Weave occupy 3 of your armor's base 5 hardpoints. In other words, in order to simulate the properties of beskar you're making it challenging to fit all the other stuff that we know is built into the armor (the optics suite, the whipcord thrower, the flamethrowers, the rocket/whistling bird launcher, etc.).

I'm really not sure it's possible to build Mando's armor under the RAW. I think you'll run out of hardpoints long before you get to something that combines the protection with the gimmicks.

45 minutes ago, centerfire said:

The great problem with this is that Superior Armor Customization and Cortosis Weave occupy 3 of your armor's base 5 hardpoints. In other words, in order to simulate the properties of beskar you're making it challenging to fit all the other stuff that we know is built into the armor (the optics suite, the whipcord thrower, the flamethrowers, the rocket/whistling bird launcher, etc.).

I'm really not sure it's possible to build Mando's armor under the RAW. I think you'll run out of hardpoints long before you get to something that combines the protection with the gimmicks.

Yeah, that's why I houseruled Mandalorian Vambraces, which take up 1 HP and can each mount 3 "Vambrace Weapons" (integrated blaster, whipcord, dart launcher, flamethrower, micro-rocket launcher, wrist blades, whistling birds, et al).

With that, he'd have 3 for the armor buffs, 1 for the optics suite, and 1 for the vambraces.

I like where you're going with this. One hopes that if we ever see a Mandalorian Era sourcebook from Edge Studio we'll see something like it.

On 12/31/2020 at 11:43 AM, ImperialYeet said:

If even 1 Wound is inflicted, then Triumph/Advantage can be spent for Critical Injuries. Those bruises may not take him down fast, but Critical Injuries might. Granted, in play this rarely happens, but I have seen a character accumulate 5 injuries (without any of them really being serious) over the course of a few tough sessions before she could heal them. She was getting worried about taking more since the next was going to be at +40 (she had a rank of Durable) or worse.

So you can do much more extreme stuff with the crafting rules, though clearly you need a great crafter (and probably a number of tries).

12 advantage and 2 triumph, plus Cortosis, can get you Soak 4 (with built in Superior), Melee/Ranged 3, Cortosis, and still 5 hard points left.

And of course adding in Enduring, Armor Master, Superior Armor Master can make you much tougher still. Superior Armor Master will make a character wearing it be able to laugh off one crit a round (though strain and bonus to crit will add up fast if being hit that much!).

3 hours ago, Darzil said:

So you can do much more extreme stuff with the crafting rules, though clearly you need a GM foolish enough to allow use of the crafting rules.

Fixed that for you. The crafting rules in SWRPG are terrible and should never be suggested as a way to approach anything other than destroying a game.