Basic TIE Punisher in the current meta?

By Dicewarrior, in X-Wing Squad Lists

What's the current basic loadout for the TIE Punisher?

I went with:
Redline + Fire Control System + Skilled Bombardier + Proton Torpedoes + Proton Bombs + Ablative Plating = 77pts

Too expensive?

52 minutes ago, Dicewarrior said:

What's the current basic loadout for the TIE Punisher?

I went with:
Redline + Fire Control System + Skilled Bombardier + Proton Torpedoes + Proton Bombs + Ablative Plating = 77pts

Too expensive?

Too expensive, yes

Redline is usually kitted out with just proton torpedoes, or else Adv Sensors + Proton torps. He is just a bruiser for the short game to get something off the board and draw attention away from a more important ship (like a Vader,Soontir,Whisper) so it can get position.

7 minutes ago, wurms said:

Too expensive, yes

Redline is usually kitted out with just proton torpedoes, or else Adv Sensors + Proton torps. He is just a bruiser for the short game to get something off the board and draw attention away from a more important ship (like a Vader,Soontir,Whisper) so it can get position.

Thank you, what about Death rain?

10 hours ago, Dicewarrior said:

Thank you, what about Death rain?

With Thermal Dets Deathrain has “essentially” adv sensors for 4 rounds. Can make a good budget bruiser.

He’ll be dead by then 👍

Does Trajectory Simulator stack with Skilled Bombadier? Meaning, you could launch bombs using the 4 speed template?

Also - it doesn't say specifically, but I'm guessing Deathrain's ability is a "free" action? (so he still gets his normal action later?)

Deathrain usually is the traj simulator carrier with a couple cheap bombs like seismics and now thermals, and some ordnance, usually of the three dice variant like concussion or diamond boron. Try to keep him around 60pts. Punishers usually dont get return on investment, so cheaper always better.

Try this. Budget Redline 😜

New Squadron

(66) Darth Vader [TIE Advanced x1]
(7) Afterburners
(2) Fire-Control System

(54) Soontir Fel [TIE/in Interceptor]
(5) Lone Wolf

(43) "Deathrain" [TIE/ca Punisher]
(3) Thermal Detonators
(2) Passive Sensors
(12) Proton Torpedoes

Total points: 194

Current meta, no idea.

But we've had a bit of Aces High here over Xmas and Thermal Dets Deathrain is ridiculous.

My go-to would be Dets, Bombadier, Traj Sim and Brockets for 62pt. Fill rest of list to taste.

This is the best Redline build I have used so far.

New Squadron

(51) "Redline" [TIE/ca Punisher]
(10) Advanced Sensors
(12) Proton Torpedoes

Total points: 73

He can hard stop, but get a lock & focus for the full modded pain. Or just 1 bank to change angle, focus -> lock. Rinse repeat. If they are killing him they aren’t shooting your squirrely aces.

Edited by Archangelspiv

Has anyone tried Barrage Rockets instead of Proton Torpedos?

3 hours ago, Dicewarrior said:

Has anyone tried Barrage Rockets instead of Proton Torpedos?

I think PT’s are chosen because a Punisher will fold to focus fire so you need to punch hard and quick. It’s not often you get to do a reload action.

Barrage Rockets are solid. Redline will generally take ProTorps but Deathrain often has Brockets instead, to make room for all the bomb shenanigans.

How about this loadout:

"Deathrain" (43)
Trajectory Simulator (6)
Adv. Proton Torpedoes (5)
Seismic Charges (3)
Proximity Mines (6)
Delayed Fuses (1)

Ship total: 64 Half Points: 32 Threshold: 5

Launch Mine/Seismic --> red barrel roll --> blue bank, maybe boost into Targetlock to get the R1 shot on an completely different target, or same, if you dropped Proximity

plus Vader+AB+FCS plus Soontir+Predator, all for 195.

Cutlass Squadron Pilot 48-point build:

Passive Sensors, Ion Torpedoes, Cluster Missiles, Bomblet Generator, Delayed Fuses.

I've had successes with these.

(But most people only ever play high-initiative)

Edited by Rossetti1828

i'm going to fly double concusssion decimators so i have a choice for a third 'distraction'.

What do you think about a cutlass w trajectory, concussion, thermals and skilled bombadier.

my other choices were pure sabacc or a palp reaper.

On 1/8/2021 at 10:09 AM, TheRealDruid said:

Launch Mine/Seismic

Can't launch mines, only bombs.

17 hours ago, Cerebrawl said:

Can't launch mines, only bombs.

True, exchange proximity for thermals.