Use of the Force in public

By CloudyLemonade92, in Game Masters

Posting here as I'm looking for the help of other GM's.

My group of PC's are currently engaged in a dueling tournament set up by the Hutt, Durga Besadii. The time period is 16 BBY and the Empire is in control. As such it's a dangerous time for Force users considering Inquisitors/ISB are on the prowl and the fact there are bounties on Force users.

Members of the party want to be able to use the Force in discreet ways during this tournament (with all eyes on them, no less.) without drawing too much attention to themselves.

That leads me to this question, would the Force Power "Ebb and Flow", when used on allies or enemies have any visual indicators that the user was indeed using the Force, to an educated or discerning eye?

What other powers would you require a "visual gesture" or effect to be used?

I.E, an outstretched Arm/Hand when using Unleash or Move. (As is the general rule from watching Jedi and Sith.)

Edited by CloudyLemonade92

It depends on the audience. A place full of Hutt I wouldn't give them any slack, the Hutt would know exactly what they're looking at if there is any visual tell at all.

Just now, 2P51 said:

It depends on the audience. A place full of Hutt I wouldn't give them any slack, the Hutt would know exactly what they're looking at if there is any visual tell at all.

The audience will be varied. And broadcast in Hutt space.

My opinion is if they aren't spotted in that kind of venue, then you're only option would be if a dark Force user is watching them.

Edited by 2P51

I'd say there's bound to be at least someone watching who'd know what they're looking at and care to act on the information. In my Star Wars, at least, Compnor or the ISB would be scanning all broadcasts for un-Imperial activities and would certainly notice.

If there's any sort of visual tell, I'd say the Empire or another faction will likely catch wind of it.

As for if the specific powers have a visual tell... For Ebb/Flow, I'd say no, or only to someone who is specifically looking for it specifically from them. I'd give them a pass on it.

Battle Meditation: They might be able to get away with this since the person doing the battle meditation wouldn't be in the arena.
Bind: Dead giveaway.
Conjure: Dead giveaway.
Ebb/Flow: They should be able to get away with it pretty easily.
Endure: They should be able to get away with it pretty easily.
Enhance: It depends on what they are doing and how superhuman their feats. Force jump/speed would almost certainly be a dead giveaway.
Farsight: They should be able to get away with it pretty easily.
Foresee: They should be able to get away with it pretty easily.
Heal/Harm: Likely a dead giveaway. Maybe there's an exception, but it's probably obvious.
Imbue: I'd require gestures similar to Heal to "start" the power. Those would be noticable.
Influence: Noticeable if the people watching know what they are looking for.
Manipulate: Gently stroking their equipment may or may not be considered suspicious.
Misdirect: Dead giveaway.
Move: Dead giveaway.
Protect/Unleash: Dead giveaway.
Seek: They should be able to get away with it pretty easily.
Sense: They should be able to get away with it pretty easily.
Suppress: They should be able to get away with it pretty easily.

15 hours ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

Heal/Harm: Likely a dead giveaway. Maybe there's an exception, but it's probably obvious.
Influence: Noticeable if the people watching know what they are looking for.
Misdirect: Dead giveaway.

I agree with most of your analysis, with the following caveats.

Heal: the healing variant would be less obvious if "use" of a stimpack is faked (requiring an opposed Deception check to hide the fact that the stimpack is not actually used). After all, the Medic tree and other trees do have non-Force talents which improve the results of stimpacks, so no one can claim that "You healed too much!". A faked use of the Medicine skill could similarly be used, as there are dice results and non-Force talents which improve the results of Medicine skill checks (while a prop is helpful, some Medicine checks can be made without a medpac or physician's kit). Even a well-coordinated "use" of a stimpack by the wounded character while the ally uses Heal at a distance might be possible (possibly requiring two successful Deception checks). I don't think that Heal creates "magical light" or the like unless the user is deliberately grandstanding or has otherwise acquired "bad habits".

Influence: the upgrade which simply provides Force dice bonuses to social skills would be unlikely to raise eyebrows (similar to Enhance's bonuses to certain physical skills).

Misdirect: it would depend upon how good the user is at using the power. If the user is good enough to not be noticed by the observer and doesn't do anything "magical", then there's less of a a risk of discovery. For example, if the observer is watching the Force-user hunting another contestant through an obstacle course of some sort (like a paintball hall), then what is the difference between a really good Stealth check and the use of Misdirect to hide oneself?

Edited by Bellona
Wording.

Imo, you can choose 2 routes:

Plot driven and dice driven.

The first, you inteoduce elements, let them have their fun, maybe warn them before hand that someone is suspicious and the ISB is interested in the fights. They are only busted, when the plot needs it. You could even turn a DP and say, someone in the audience suddenly got up and heads out. Your gut tells you he knows.

You could turn it into roll, have an ISB/Inquisitor/Spy roll vigilance, perception.

Have your characters roll stealth, skullduggery, or have them make deceptions like @Bellona suggested.

Third way is to roll the force die every time you feel like it could be detected by someone.

I'm tending to the plot driven way, but I have my fun coming up with mechanics for such things. Usually in my head and doesn't hit the table.

Edited by Rimsen

You could also rule that certain powers are possible to execute subtly (Heal, Enhance, etc.) at the cost of one Force Point. This allows the players to do what they want by "wasting" a Force pip, possibly encouraging them to grab those Dark Force pips for compensations... (which, of course, we like).

Beyond that, as with all things in Star Wars it depends on what the story needs. You could let the PCs get away with it THIS time, lulling them into a false sense of security for the next time they try it and there's a Force Sensitive informant/Grand Huntsman/Jedi-hunter in the audience with the know-how to spot a Jedi at work.

11 hours ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

Manipulate: Gently stroking their equipment may or may not be considered suspicious.

Considering the title of this post, DON'T DO THIS IN PUBLIC!