BoardGameGeek as alt Forum destination?

By DarthHenryAllen, in X-Wing

Hi, mostly a lurker here but I’ve enjoyed this community for several years.

With this forum going down, does BoardGameGeek make sense as a place to migrate to? There is a dedicated X-Wing 2.0 forum there divided up into rules/variants/news/etc. sub forums: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/252328/star-wars-x-wing-second-edition/forums/0 . I think the site also supports adding a wiki page coupled to a game, which could hold ‘important links’ type information.

Sorry if the answer is obvious. I have never really explored Reddit and discord, maybe I should, but from my little exposure they don’t seem appealing. And I do know I don’t like Facebook as an alternative forum location. So just thought I’d plug BGG since I’m familiar with that one and haven’t heard it brought up much.

I'd be okay with that. For long form discussion. Dakkadakka also has a decent section. I found this forum thanks to DD.

@DarthHenryAllen Thanks, indeed.

There is another ...

When I discovered X-wing, I was lurking the BGG forum before I came here and found that there was much more going on at FFG. But for almost any single (board) game out there, BGG will remain a safe place to gather.

The only problem with the boardgamegeek site is that there is a separate page and forum for every single version and expansion. I'd expect the main discussion to be at https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/252328/star-wars-x-wing-second-edition

The X-wing traffic there is low, but this need not stay like this. It's a proper forum, not just a timeline quickly disappearing into the void.

Just a reminder about the BGG forum sections:

This should essentially cover the subsections of this forum, right? There are image and file sections, which already have some content and could carray more (custom cards, repaint images, etc.). Just in case ...

I'm for it. The main problem is as Canopus laid out. Expansions have their own forum.

Not sure if you know, but scrolling down on the right hand side is the "Family" linkings. Clicking on the star wars x-wing will allow you to subscribe to the whole family of expansion forums. so when they get updated it alerts you:

Family

Components: Dice with Icons

Components: Polyhedral (not D6) dice Game:

* Star Wars X-Wing Miniatures Game *

Movies: Star Wars

Players: Two Player Only Games

Series: FlightPath (Fantasy Flight Game)

Reimplements

Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game

Or I can post the link. click on the subscribe button there an it will alert you to any forum postings for all the expansions

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamefamily/18113/game-star-wars-x-wing-miniatures-game

Edited by cyberkeith

Wiki also has forums , in case that helps. Also comments at the bottom of each article. We plan on being around for a good long while, and it's handy to have the forum in the same place as all the pages for cards and rules etc.

3 hours ago, Canopus said:

@DarthHenryAllen Thanks, indeed.

There is another ...

When I discovered X-wing, I was lurking the BGG forum before I came here and found that there was much more going on at FFG. But for almost any single (board) game out there, BGG will remain a safe place to gather.

The only problem with the boardgamegeek site is that there is a separate page and forum for every single version and expansion. I'd expect the main discussion to be at https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/252328/star-wars-x-wing-second-edition

The X-wing traffic there is low, but this need not stay like this. It's a proper forum, not just a timeline quickly disappearing into the void.

Just a reminder about the BGG forum sections:

This should essentially cover the subsections of this forum, right? There are image and file sections, which already have some content and could carray more (custom cards, repaint images, etc.). Just in case ...

Repaints??

23 minutes ago, Gupa-nupa said:

Repaints??

There are a couple of X-Wing repaints shown in the image section. The images have text captions.

I don't know how to link those images to forum posts, I admit. I'd guess that such posts could be tagged as 'variants' - from a certain point of view .

Images themselves can be assigned a ‘Gallery’ (Game/People/Creative) as well as a ‘category’ (Components/Customized/Play/etc.). I’d suspect that repaints would go in Creative/Customized and that would be an easy way to find such pictures. And as noted above, the pictures themselves can have comments/discussion on them.

That said, yeah, there doesn’t seem to be great forum category for repaints which is unfortunate. I agree that ‘variants’ could work though I think that is meant for rules variants generally. I guess that means putting them in general but really would be nice to have their own category. Maybe a ‘Customization’ category. I can ask is that can be added.

There is also not really a good category for Squad Lists or Squad Builder discussion, outside of being lumped in to general.

Are these show stoppers? Again, I’m not really familiar with what reddit and discord may offer in this regard but I’ve found BGG great for game discussions and sharing over the years.

FWIW, I opened a thread over there to see about getting a ‘customization’ forum category added, which would be a place to share repaints, custom asteroids, storage solutions and such. No idea how likely it is but I’d think it would be nice to have for many games.

I’ve been on BGG so long I forgot you have to ‘buy’ your avatar there with ‘geek gold’ (earned through contributions, tips, site support, and other means). I should be able to fund avatars for quite a few FFG refugees though. If anyone is interested just drop a note to say hi (or whatever) in this thread: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2564345/ffg-forums-be-shut-down-12021 . I’ll keep any eye out for folks without avatars and tip you some gold for one (well, until I run out).

I could spend for some avatars as well, I have a lot of GeekGold (drop me a message here, with your handle at BBG, and I might contribute). Got all the Gold Both from helping the BBG site keep up by supporting with real money, and from showcasing pics and rule variants, strategy write ups etc.

So, show your X-wing repaints there and gather GeekGold for your avatar!

Edited by Managarmr
Addendum

BGG looks like a good alternative, with tons of traffic to begin with.