another forum "what" and "why" post

By Wayne Argabright, in X-Wing

Ok "What" I dont get is why doesn't Assmodee just move this forum to their web page/site etc if they have one? Not having an "Official" forum is a dumb move. It really makes the game feel unsupported. Folks are reluctant to invest in an "unsupported" game. Having experienced this with STAW. Star Trek Attack Wing.. basically (Star Trek version of X-wing) . The Community came out and they have an unofficial forum about cards etc, Wizkids "official" forum actually sucked but they did sort of have one. Problem is folks can bring up/ create all kids of ideas ships ect but if they are not official and or supported officially that is all they are to me and many others just some person's ideas. even IF they are better than the "Official" things/items/forums. Not having an official forum is another way to NOT support the game you are trying to grow and i would assume assmodee is trying to grow the game? If so they may want to go back and retake ECON 101. Just saying. Better yet look at how Wiz Kids did STAW and do NOT do that..And as others have mentioned with Disney going Nuts with new shows coming out why mess up the cash cow that is Disney? Does anyone know if Assmodee got/secured a Disney license to market X-wing etc? I know that was "supposedly" just one of the problems WK had with STAW. Not saying the Sky is falling but this just seems like a rookie move to kill the forums and not have your own forums to jump to..Under the guise of " in almost every case, the communities centered around these games are more active elsewhere, whether that's on other websites, in social media groups, or with dedicated Discord servers. "Bull excrement" on that Shure i and many others jump around to our local groups etc. But when "official" things need to be done or you just want to go back to the "main" and usually most current info source it was most always on here. How hard is it to maintain a forum? ITS NOT... and bandwidth nowadays is CHEAP so once again I ask WHY???

Edited by Wayne Argabright
clarity

Agreed, please migrate servers to be host3d by AMG.

AMG likely won't host anything right now, they just got three full-size games from Asmodee and probably zero developers who can work on that.

Their job offer that was posted somewhere sounds like Asmodee granted them one additional position for a new person to handle all of this simultaneously. (I hope I'm wrong.)

Just popping in on the license question.

Obviously no one knows except for the parties and attorneys involved, but Asmodee has owned FFG for a few years IIRC. There has likely been at least one re-negotiation of the license agreement in that period, and if there wasn’t one scheduled, the agreement would have been amended anyway to factor in the purchase of FFG.

Beyond that, there is no way shuffling the games like this wouldn’t have happened if either a: the agreement allows Asmodee to do this or b: the license is actually owned by Asmodee, not FFG. With AMG making a Marvel game, I think b is more likely (Asmodee NA is the licensee and they farm it out to their divisions/subsidiaries).

Speaking as a TM/licensing attorney, you don’t play around with a license because the licensor will cancel the agreement in a hot second (and trying to assign a license without the licensor’s approval will either be grounds to cancel the agreement or the drafting attorney committed malpractice).

13 minutes ago, FatherTurin said:

Obviously no one knows except for the parties and attorneys involved, but Asmodee has owned FFG for a few years IIRC. There has likely been at least one re-negotiation of the license agreement in that period, and if there wasn’t one scheduled, the agreement would have been amended anyway to factor in the purchase of FFG.

Part of this was made public. Half a year ago, an Asmodee manager talked about the result of those negotiations in some detail, in a youtube interview. The renewed Disney-Asmodee agreement was to span five years, and it involved a plan of dividing FFG into a miniature and a boardgame section, both which should continue to develop and support Star Wars products with full support from the mother company.

Now it appears as if they did something similar, but during Covid in a rush, cutting down resources and staff all at the same time, keeping only the SW license manager as a head of studio. Getting rid of all community relations is collateral damage. AMG and the FFG remnant will have to rebuild what's left.