Could somebody write all this down?

By 5050Saint, in X-Wing Rules Questions

It may be stupid, but this section of the forum is what I'll miss the most. Not just hashing out rulings with you folks, but this was a good resource for anyone to find how X ability worked and how it fit into the queue, and so on and so forth.

There's the X-Wing Second Edition discord forum, which has a lot of the rules regulars. While you lose the "threadability" of certain rules interactions, you can often get fairly timely answers to rules questions.

Perhaps the 2nd edition Wiki might consider adding notable rulings (and current rules questions) for given ships and upgrades on their respective pages. While not official, it would be a good reference point for people to look at when they ask, "Hey, what happens when this pilot tries to use that upgrade?"

The Subreddit r/XWingTMG/ also has a sticky thread named "Got a question? Ask it here!" that they 'reset' (ie unsticky then make a new one) every month or two where rules questions are frequently posted and hammered out, though (currently) not to the same extent as this forum because... well.. this forum exists.

I havent seen, are they planning to delete this forum soon? Never mind, just saw this.
FFG Forum shutdown

Edited by Lyianx

well, i'll certainly miss you guys a lot. ;) we'll probably bump into one another sooner or later anyways, but still.

So basically one needs to join discord, reddit or the like, if one wanted to keep talking about x-wing.

Reddit actually lead me hear, as it was a little sparse on content and didn't encourage continuing conversation, but rather the "new" and "hot" with anything over a day old getting shuffled to the back.. That's not a dig at Reddit, but just why I prefer the forum better. I've come to respect the opinion of folks here, even when I disagree with them, which is hard to accomplish without a face to interact with.

Discord is good for conversation, but bad for archiving.

3 hours ago, Lyianx said:

I havent seen, are they planning to delete this forum soon? Never mind, just saw this.
FFG Forum shutdown

Bummer. Any chance Atomic Miniatures will open their own X-Wing forum?

10 hours ago, meffo said:

well, i'll certainly miss you guys a lot. ;) we'll probably bump into one another sooner or later anyways, but still.

If/when we get back to in person gaming, maybe we'll cross paths!

I know @Wazat has done a tonne of good work on the Wiki.

Yea, we've got a great team on the wiki that has worked to keep info up-to-date and answer questions. We're always happy to answer your questions BTW -- it's the main thing I do there! The wiki also has forums , comments below each article (e.g. if you have questions or comments about Boba Fett , you can talk below his article instead of just the separate forums), and user talk pages for chatting with people directly -- and all these are nice for archiving the questions asked too. And on occasion we create a tool like the Compare Ship Tables to help people track down a type of ship or theme they'd like.

Hopefully it'll be a useful landing platform for people when these forums go away. For example, I'm hoping @theBitterFig and @Hiemfire stop by to make accounts so I can reach you both easily and stay in touch. ^_^

I'm not on any discord channels (other than for TTS but I'm not very social there, I just visit to look for games; live chat can be exhausting). So I'm not sure of the culture and activity there... But those & reddit should be going strong all the same. The wiki is quieter, at least for now, and you can get your questions answered instead of just getting buried in volume. Also we have moderation tools for when someone insists on taking a thread off-topic to scream angrily about something unrelated.

Sadly I won't be able to direct toxic people here anymore. On the rare occasions when someone gets into an abusive rage mood or wants to munchkin the rules and won't let off, I tell them the FFG Forum is the place to do it and scoop them off the wiki to darken someone else's day. Now I guess I'll have to direct them to reddit?

Thanks for the links Wazat! I didn't even know about the wiki-forum, but I'll be checking that out for a potential new X-Wing hangout :)

I already miss the reactions from these forums :( sometimes I just want to passively express agreement, thanks, confusion without cluttering the thread with another post.

@Wazat The SW wiki is amazing! I'm getting back into the game from 1.0 and the wiki has been my go-to so far for learning the new rules. I'll be making an account soon!

22 minutes ago, GlassJaw said:

@Wazat The SW wiki is amazing! I'm getting back into the game from 1.0 and the wiki has been my go-to so far for learning the new rules. I'll be making an account soon!

I'm pleased to hear it!

Yeah, i just wish the Wiki had a better navigation for each card type like the 1E version does. Id added a few of my own tweaks to the wiki, but messing with the drop down menus is a bit out of my skill set.

22 hours ago, Lyianx said:

Yeah, i just wish the Wiki had a better navigation for each card type like the 1E version does. Id added a few of my own tweaks to the wiki, but messing with the drop down menus is a bit out of my skill set.

Actually, if we need to improve the navigation bar at the top, that's totally do-able! The trick is there's a hard limit on how big it can be, so we have to be judicious in what we include.

What kind of stuff felt missing?

11 hours ago, Wazat said:

Actually, if we need to improve the navigation bar at the top, that's totally do-able! The trick is there's a hard limit on how big it can be, so we have to be judicious in what we include.

What kind of stuff felt missing?

Well, the 1E wiki had a menu for Factions, and under each Faction, had every ship for that faction.
Btb0wQz.png

It also had "Upgrade Types" (under the general tab) and listed each type of upgrade, and clicking on one of those took you to the category listing for those upgrades.

vJtz9eg.png

There is a link to the menu for "Ships" but i find it quicker to go right to it though the menu.

Would the hard limit prevent this? (i assumed since it used the same wiki system, that the limits would be the same, but i could be wrong). If so, its not a huge deal, only convenient :)

12 hours ago, Lyianx said:

Well, the 1E wiki had a menu for Factions, and under each Faction, had every ship for that faction.
Btb0wQz.png

It also had "Upgrade Types" (under the general tab) and listed each type of upgrade, and clicking on one of those took you to the category listing for those upgrades.

vJtz9eg.png

There is a link to the menu for "Ships" but i find it quicker to go right to it though the menu.

Would the hard limit prevent this? (i assumed since it used the same wiki system, that the limits would be the same, but i could be wrong). If so, its not a huge deal, only convenient :)

That's probably possible, and if I do hit the limit, I can maybe find some elegant trimming options. I'll see what I can do!

So... Fandom's new system now limits the top bar to 10 item at level 3 ( see link explaining ). I just tested and it only shows the first 10 I list. I think the 1E wiki has been grandfathered in... or perhaps it'll apply the same limit when they next edit their navbar. :(

Knowing that, I'll have to just add links to an Upgrade Type List and several Ships By Faction pages.

Okay, in addition to linking to Ships, we also now link to Upgrades and Factions. With the new rules of only 4 level 1 links, 7 level 2, and 10 level 3, that's the limit to what I can add to the new style of NavBar. No more listing all ships up there for quick jumps. :(

That said, there's probably some efficiencies we can add here or there to make navigating more pleasant. Let me know what you think so far!