Challenge: Fix Dual Turbolaser Turrets

By Piratical Moustache, in Star Wars: Armada

I don't understand why FFG didn't significantly change the card with the new rebalancing of the game since Linked Turbolaser Towers essentially is what DTTs should've been, so what would you do with the card? If you make DTTs simply add an extra red die then you made better Slaved Turrets so that isn't the solution, but LTTs are the red reroll option so that's not the answer either.

Needs to be a modification for a start.

3 minutes ago, Pwmf said:

Needs to be a modification for a start.

Do you mean putting modification on LTTs or removing modification from DTTs?

Remove exhaust, make it only work against ships. Or just make it 3 pts.

Keep it the same, but make it add 2 red dice then subtract one. Bam good card.

DTT is fine. And it does slightly more than just a reroll. It can change the composition of your dice to take advantage of certain upgrades.

For instance, take the Cymoon. You are attacking a ship at medium range. You have DTT, LTT, and Krennic. You concentrate fire and have a token. You roll your 5 red and 2 blue. You roll 1 acc on the blues and another on a red. You only needed one. You add a red for CF, use DTT to change the blue acc die to a red one and roll it. Now you have a pool of 7 red, 1 blue, and you can reroll those red dice in 3 different phases (Krennic dial, Krennic token, LTT).

Let's say you flak. You roll your 2 black. Both are hits. You go "oh hey, imma use LTT on this squad and see what I get". You roll 2 more black. One comes up blank. You can replace that black with a red using DTT. Oh, it came up a crit. You can use LTT to reroll it. Oh a double! Neato torpedo.

It really isnt JUST a reroll. It does a bit more than that. Just gotta think outside the box.

make it work 2 times for 10 points. Why? you can get a choice of 2 rerolls (LTT) and not know what will happen or pay 3 more points for a choice of which dice you want to keep. But the anti squad is just eh. so Need to think more.

8 hours ago, Piratical Moustache said:

I don't understand why FFG d

en you made better Slaved Turrets so that isn't the solution, but LTTs are the red reroll option so that's not the answer either.

Well, DTT are way too effective for their points, so that's a problem. And LTT are pretty meh in addition.

So there is more than 1 problem to solve here.

DTT is 1 informed reroll, which can't get worse. (For 5 points)

LTT is 2 rerolls (if you double arc, or more with red flak) which might fix your blank, but won't help (unless you are desperate) fishing acc/crit/double. + A neat little squadron addition which is circumstancial. (For 7 points.)

Edited by Rimsen
37 minutes ago, Rimsen said:

DTT is 1 informed reroll, which can't get worse. (For 5 points)

LTT is 2 rerolls (if you double arc, or more with red flak) which might fix your blank, but won't help (unless you are desperate) fishing acc/crit/double. + A neat little squadron addition which is circumstancial. (For 7 points.)

LTT also provides unlimited red flak rerolls.

And the opportunity to punch Hard against single squads.

And can be used with any and all Salvo attacks.

Currently the Muni* and the Assault SSD (niche) are the very best platforms for the LTT. Although my Reactive Gunnery Command Arqs are pretty great too. And AF2s.

I wonder what future ships will have this stapled.

* A case can be made for Kraken munis with Quads to fit a crit-triggered ion upgrade. But otherwise, why would you run a muni wo LTT?

Edited by Green Knight
11 hours ago, FoxOmega44 said:

DTT is fine. And it does slightly more than just a reroll. It can change the composition of your dice to take advantage of certain upgrades.

For instance, take the Cymoon. You are attacking a ship at medium range. You have DTT, LTT, and Krennic. You concentrate fire and have a token. You roll your 5 red and 2 blue. You roll 1 acc on the blues and another on a red. You only needed one. You add a red for CF, use DTT to change the blue acc die to a red one and roll it. Now you have a pool of 7 red, 1 blue, and you can reroll those red dice in 3 different phases (Krennic dial, Krennic token, LTT).

Let's say you flak. You roll your 2 black. Both are hits. You go "oh hey, imma use LTT on this squad and see what I get". You roll 2 more black. One comes up blank. You can replace that black with a red using DTT. Oh, it came up a crit. You can use LTT to reroll it. Oh a double! Neato torpedo.

It really isnt JUST a reroll. It does a bit more than that. Just gotta think outside the box.

Sadly DTT can't be used with QTC now..

Those other combos are nice though

If you have an upgrade that impacts pools of red dice and 2 turbo slots, DTT is a cheap option to squeeze a bit more out of that.

The Liberty with C&S. Now every side can roll all red but the front, and that gets a bit better with a 5/2 red/blue spread. SSDs or Cymoons with Krennic. I'm sure we will see something in the new factions as well.

I'm not saying it's great. But it is an "every last drop" upgrade to add to ones that only impact red dice. I feel like everyone has just relegated it to "informed reroll". With so many of the turbolasers being mods now, and with their expense, DTT needs to be looked at differently.

DTT has some utility with non-crit throwing sato ships (eg salvation)

Here is my fix.

• Keep LTT and DTT the same points as they are.
  • Move the one shot anti squadron 2 extra dice from the LTT to the DTT.
7 minutes ago, Mad Cat said:

Here is my fix.

• Keep LTT and DTT the same points as they are.
  • Move the one shot anti squadron 2 extra dice from the LTT to the DTT.

Awesome! Make it so! :D

6 hours ago, Green Knight said:

Currently the Muni* and the Assault SSD (niche) are the very best platforms for the LTT. Although my Reactive Gunnery Command Arqs are pretty great too. And AF2s.

I wonder what future ships will have this stapled.

* A case can be made for Kraken munis with Quads to fit a crit-triggered ion upgrade. But otherwise, why would you run a muni wo LTT?

Add Acclamators to LTT-lovers. Think Ord Pods/LTT = 2 regular attacks with one rerollable red and then 3 black dice to an unlucky squadron of your choice.

I rather enjoy DTTs on my budget small snipers(Hardcells, Arq, and Nebs). Often allows them to safely be greedy with their limited attacks.

Hey player, player put away that DTT now,
Give me slots on my corvettes, but leave me the Nevoota Bees,
Please.

Don't it always seem to go
That you don't know what you got 'til it's gone.
They printed LTTs, and filled up a binder spot.
(Ohh-bop-bop-bop, ohh, bop-bop-bop)

Edited by EBerling

Dual Turbolaser Turrets saw some use early on with Arqs and the like and then people realized they kinda sucked and put them away. Once Linked Turbolaser Towers came out they went from "well Idunno I guess not but they might be okay?" to "oh, that's what they should've been like" and now... well.

Anyways, if it was up to me I'd try to stick with the theme of the upgrade but crank it up a notch.
"While attacking, you may exhaust this card to roll X red dice into a separate attack pool, where X is the number of red dice currently in the attack pool. You may replace all red dice in the attack pool with all dice in the separate pool. Then cancel all dice in the separate pool."

Basically it would be an informed red dice pool reroll. A good choice for ships like Arquitens and Cymoons and the like but not necessarily as multi-purpose as LTTs. Plus it's still a Modification.

Edited by Snipafist

DTT is good on all ships that generally have a lower dice pool... say maximum of three dice on any facing and less on most of them. The extra dice is a SAFE re-roll and there are multiple other uses for the DTT with other upgrades.

LTT is a better value for ships with more dice where you are more likely to end up with at least one bad dice to re-roll and the extra dice against a single squadron are pretty nice as well. If the ship have a red anti-squadron dice then LTT is pretty much a given option over DTT .