Yoda Aces

By SavouryRain, in X-Wing Squad Lists

The Empire has the Palp Aces archetype, so I figured the Republic could get the Yoda Aces archetype.

Crew Yoda actually does pretty well with the Actis.

Laat/i Gunship - 212th Battalion Pilot - 64
212th Battalion Pilot - (49)
•Yoda (15)

Eta-2 Actis - •Aayla Secura - 61
•Aayla Secura - Confident Warrior (51)
Stealth Device (8)
Brilliant Evasion (2)

Eta-2 Actis - •Anakin Skywalker - 72
•Anakin Skywalker - Hero of Coruscant (56)
Autoblasters (3)
•R7-A7 (3)
Stealth Device (8)
Brilliant Evasion (2)

Total: 197

View in the X-Wing Squad Builder

I lost the only game I've played with it, but I lost because I put Aayla on a rock and lost the stealth device because I'm bad.

I love the idea and tried to fly something similar in fly casual, but the LAAT is just too much of an easy (and expensive) target. An option could be to use an ARC for Yoda, a bit cheaper and can more or less keep up with the jedi.

1 hour ago, xanatos135 said:

the LAAT is just too much of an easy (and expensive) target

This was my first thought as well. What about Yoda in the Eta-2? Could co-ordinate them both and possibly be more slippery that the LAAT if the opponent targets them first?

Yoda (48)
Battle Meditation (3)
Brilliant Evasion (2)
Stealth Device (8)

Ship total: 61 Half Points: 31 Threshold: 2

Aayla Secura (51)
Brilliant Evasion (2)
Stealth Device (8)

Anakin Skywalker (Eta-2) (56)
Brilliant Evasion (2)
Marksmanship (1)
Autoblasters (3)
R7-A7 (3)
Stealth Device (8)

Ship total: 73 Half Points: 37 Threshold: 2

Total: 195

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0: https://raithos.github.io/?f=Galactic Republic&d=v8ZsZ200Z437X212W199WWW166Y439X199WWWW166Y441X199W125W232W364W166&sn=Unnamed Squadron&obs=

15 minutes ago, eljms said:

This was my first thought as well. What about Yoda in the Eta-2? Could co-ordinate them both and possibly be more slippery that the LAAT if the opponent targets them first?

Yoda (48)
Battle Meditation (3)
Brilliant Evasion (2)
Stealth Device (8)

Aayla Secura (51)
Brilliant Evasion (2)
Stealth Device (8)

Anakin Skywalker (Eta-2) (56)
Brilliant Evasion (2)
Marksmanship (1)
Autoblasters (3)
R7-A7 (3)
Stealth Device (8)

Ship total: 73 Half Points: 37 Threshold: 2

Total: 195

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0: https://raithos.github.io/?f=Galactic Republic&d=v8ZsZ200Z437X212W199WWW166Y439X199WWWW166Y441X199W125W232W364W166&sn=Unnamed Squadron&obs=

Can't Battle Meditate limited pilots.

2 hours ago, xanatos135 said:

I love the idea and tried to fly something similar in fly casual, but the LAAT is just too much of an easy (and expensive) target. An option could be to use an ARC for Yoda, a bit cheaper and can more or less keep up with the jedi.

Yeah, for points the ARC is better. But I wanted the rerolls that the LAAT provides.

I also didn't want to use Yoda the pilot because he's already force starved as it is. A force-starved LAAT is still a LAAT, whereas a force-starved Actis is a dead Actis.

I don’t get why people say the LAAT is a big, fat, weak target. It is, of course, but no more so than a Reaper of a Xi Shuttle or any of a variety of other crew carriers. It’s got ten health, and yeah, only one agility, but it’s not fragile. And as I keep saying, A) you don’t joust with these things, and B) if your opponent is shooting your tank, *he’s not shooting your aces,* and that’s great.

9 hours ago, SavouryRain said:

Can't Battle Meditate limited pilots.

Yeah, for points the ARC is better. But I wanted the rerolls that the LAAT provides.

I also didn't want to use Yoda the pilot because he's already force starved as it is. A force-starved LAAT is still a LAAT, whereas a force-starved Actis is a dead Actis.

I think the most efficient way to use Yoda is in fact the pilot. It has extended range, more trigger opportunities, 1 more charge, the ETA is easier to hide than a LAAT, you can carry patience for extra force and it all comes much cheaper than Yoda crew on either a LAAT or an ARC. Here's my list:

Yoda Aces V001

(49) Obi-Wan Kenobi [Delta-7 Aethersprite]

(2) R4 Astromech

(20) Delta-7B

(51) Aayla Secura [Eta-2 Actis]

(6) R2-A6

(5) Sense

(8) Stealth Device

(2) Predator

(48) Yoda [Eta-2 Actis]

(2) Patience

Total points: 193

Has anyone tried putting R4 and Daredevil on the Eta-2

11 hours ago, SavouryRain said:

Can't Battle Meditate limited pilots

Oops - thanks!

9 hours ago, Cpt ObVus said:

I don’t get why people say the LAAT is a big, fat, weak target. It is, of course, but no more so than a Reaper of a Xi Shuttle or any of a variety of other crew carriers

Not sure, maybe it is just a perception thing. The Reaper is a bit more mobile, the Xi has two agility. I mean, the LAAT does have ten total hit points, so it still takes some chewing through.

I guess supporting two Etas the issue is that those ships are built to be hard to hit and to nibble away at an opponents list rather than blow it away. Not all damage races are the same, some are about scoring some points (any points) and not taking damage at all. It feels like Etas are going to be good in that kind of scenario, but a LAAT is not - it kind of undermines the strategy. If the LAAT was supporting two ships that could do 70 points of damage pretty quickly then maybe it's fine?

6 hours ago, Andyf1702 said:

Has anyone tried putting R4 and Daredevil on the Eta-2

No. That sounds amazing to use in the system phase tho. 1 hard turn boost followed by 1 blue hard turn, followed by a focus or evade action....really gonna miss predator though. Maybe throw a laat in there for rerolls.

Just now, TBot said:

No. That sounds amazing to use in the system phase tho. 1 hard turn boost followed by 1 blue hard turn, followed by a focus or evade action....really gonna miss predator though. Maybe throw a laat in there for rerolls.

Oops. That doesn't even work. Those pre movement boosts are purple. So u can't use daredevil in premovement. I would say this is a bad combo. They really want focus or evade as their action.

13 hours ago, TBot said:

Oops. That doesn't even work. Those pre movement boosts are purple. So u can't use daredevil in premovement. I would say this is a bad combo. They really want focus or evade as their action.

Yeah, besides... all this stuff looks amazing until you realize the Eta-2 already has that purple 2-Tallon Roll, so getting that 180 turn (which is usually the goal of the paired 90 degree turns) is easy as is.

I find it really interesting that Extreme Maneuvers (which is basically Force powered Daredevil) got packed in with the Actis, which probably doesn’t want it; the ships which are most likely to use it are the Delta-7, the TIE Advanced Prototype v1, Kylo’s Silencer, and Luke’s X-Wing. But there really aren’t any other recent products they could have put it in with, I suppose.

Edited by Cpt ObVus

I've been thinking about trying Yoda with Anakin and Obi-Wan all in ETA-2s.

• Anakin Skywalker: Brilliant Evasion, Predator, Stealth Device
  • Obi-Wan Kenobi: Brilliant Evasion, Predator, Stealth Device
  • Yoda: Patience, Heightened Perception, Tractor Beam, Stealth Device

Idea is, that Yoda is a Force Power Plant for the two aces. But he can also engage at I7 to make a Tractor Beam shot at an enemy, possibly moving them into the bullseye of Anakin or Obi-Wan, with a lowered defence.

I think the ETA-2 Yoda will be much more survivable, due to three Agility and the native nimbleness of the ship. The I3 and System Phase reposition makes him a decent blocker as well. Who can later engage like an Ace.

That said, I think the best Support Ship for double Aces for the Republic is "Wolfe" with Aayla Secura on board. Focus > Coordinate, a bunch of health and a good ability. He is a threat on his own.

A fun option might be R2-D2 (Y-Wing) with Yoda, Seventh Fleet Gunner and Ion Turret. I think it's the cheapest crew carrier in the faction.