Musician’s aid

By FelixFenix, in Legend of the Five Rings: The Roleplaying Game

I have a Daidoji who’s Giri is to become a virtuoso of the biwa. Is there any distinction and passion that could help him with his music?

So far I thought about using Brushwork while he is composing his songs. But other than that I don’t have anything...

A big point about the distinctions and passions is that they're only examples and not an exhaustive list.

So in my opinion, the right way to go here is to make up your own, fitting advantages.

I can think of something like:

Music (Fire)

Types: Interpersonal, Mental

Effects: The following apply to a character with the Music passion:

- You can always identify a Rokugani musical instrument or at least how to play it if it’s gaijin made.
- After performing a check to stir an audience with your song (such as a Perform [Fire] check) or to write a new song (with a Composition [Fire] check), you remove 3 strife.

Biwa Prodigy (Water)

Types: Physical, Interpersonal

Effects: The following apply to a character with the Biwa Prodigy distinction:

-You can recognize the material of a biwa (and possibly its maker) just by listening to its melodies.

-When making a check to tune a biwa (such as a Artisan [Water] check) or to put your Audience at ease (with a Perform [Water] check), you may reroll up to two dice.

Edited by DSalazar

Then again, I am a GM that is extremely loose with how distinctions and passions (and adversities and anxieties) are used as long as it is with the proper Ring. So, having a Culture [Water] roll to realize that a given song is a parody (or plagiarism) is valid for the Biwa Prodigy distinction.

On the same idea, rolling Courtesy (Fire) to convince someone that song A is more passionate than song B could work for the Music passion as well.

I love both the passion and the distinction DSalazar!!!! 👍

I’m writing these down!

Sure, they are all under free license 😁 .

Make sure to give someone else the Tone Deaf adversity.

DSalazar, why you don’t post this in the houserules? I think it will be beneficial to keep the good stuff together. 😉

I decided to share the one who started it all this shenanigans, Daidoji Takumi, may his skill with the blade be match with his skill with the biwa.

Many thanks to @DSalazar

nv7fwln_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I don’t know what to say, really, thanks, it wasn’t necessary, though.

Yes your work deserves thanks.

Edited by FelixFenix

My Crane courtesy demands me that I refuse 2 times. So really, I am glad with the sentiment but it wasn’t necessary. 😂

Edited by DSalazar

Bushi rather than Courtier? So your Samurai thinks he is a spoony bard? That has to be a barrel of laughs.

I don’t see why a bushi cannot pursue the dream of becoming a great musician. Yes there will be critics that will say the same thing but he doesn’t care, as a Crane he will strive for perfection on both.

Edited by FelixFenix

In our last Crane campaign, one of the players was a Kakita Duelist who wanted to become the greatest painter, so...

5 hours ago, DSalazar said:

In our last Crane campaign, one of the players was a Kakita Duelist who wanted to become the greatest painter, so...

Carefully aimed blood spatter is not a recognized Rokugani painting style.

On 12/21/2020 at 6:18 AM, Magnus Grendel said:

Carefully aimed blood spatter is not a recognized Rokugani painting style.

Please don’t encourage them!

I can think of a Kakita player placing a white canvas behind his opponent’s, and then also placing his fallen opponent’s haiku in the canvas too and call it art!

I CALL DIBS!

On 12/22/2020 at 7:03 PM, FelixFenix said:

Please don’t encourage them!

I can think of a Kakita player placing a white canvas behind his opponent’s, and then also placing his fallen opponent’s haiku in the canvas too and call it art!

I never made the connection between L5R and Dexter before... but man that would make for an interesting Scorpion magistrate campaign