Coordinating scanning the UCC

By ArmadaMatt, in Star Wars: Armada

Hi all! I'd like to gauge interest in coordinating an effort to scan cards from the UCC that haven't had digital versions already spoiled. I think this can also include the new, larger damage cards and the backs of the Clone Wars ship cards (as the latter is cut off in the sources from FFG).

Exactly how this is accomplished I'm not sure yet. That depends largely on how many, if any, are willing and able to help.

Specifically we will need those that can scan, crop, and color correct. We'll also need to determine some sort of standardization as far as size, file type, naming convention, and color matching goes. And of course, will need to divvy up the work.

If you're interested, please reply! If you know of someone who might be interested, feel free to tag them, too. I'm not super plugged in to the community, so I very well may not know if there are obvious community members to ask.

Tagging @Triangular and @Green Knight as I've already mentioned this to them.

1 minute ago, ArmadaMatt said:

Hi all! I'd like to gauge interest in coordinating an effort to scan cards from the UCC that haven't had digital versions already spoiled. I think this can also include the new, larger damage cards and the backs of the Clone Wars ship cards (as the latter is cut off in the sources from FFG).

Exactly how this is accomplished I'm not sure yet. That depends largely on how many, if any, are willing and able to help.

Specifically we will need those that can scan, crop, and color correct. We'll also need to determine some sort of standardization as far as size, file type, naming convention, and color matching goes. And of course, will need to divvy up the work.

If you're interested, please reply! If you know of someone who might be interested, feel free to tag them, too. I'm not super plugged in to the community, so I very well may not know if there are obvious community members to ask.

No hope of getting my stuff before January. Main delivery to Scandinavia delayed. If it happens at all. Well played FFG/Asmodee.

42 minutes ago, Green Knight said:

No hope of getting my stuff before January. Main delivery to Scandinavia delayed. If it happens at all. Well played FFG/Asmodee.

Bummer! I know that's the case in many places. Do you have any image editing software? Maybe you could clean up scanned images if you do.

2 hours ago, Green Knight said:

^ Same. I ordered my stuff in English. The shop had the 11. Dec. as day of delivery. When the 11th came the note changed to „waiting for new release info“. Don‘t know when they will get the Clone Wars packs. Maybe January, maybe sixth month later ...

I’m very much interested in getting good scans for the Armada wiki and I‘m familiar with photoshop and can help to clean scans.

3 hours ago, ArmadaMatt said:

I keep copies of every card (including damage cards). I won’t have the new stuff until after Christmas, but I would think you’re over thinking by using scan software/hardware. If FFG didn’t give a photo, I just took a photo and cropped all by using my iPad. I’m no photographer (actually the furthest from it), but it’s not hard to get a photo that’s good enough to easily read. I’m sure someone could take a better photo than me, but like I said, with digital cameras now days it’s not hard to take a legible photo if not anything else.

6 minutes ago, JediPartisan said:

I keep copies of every card (including damage cards). I won’t have the new stuff until after Christmas, but I would think you’re over thinking by using scan software/hardware. If FFG didn’t give a photo, I just took a photo and cropped all by using my iPad. I’m no photographer (actually the furthest from it), but it’s not hard to get a photo that’s good enough to easily read. I’m sure someone could take a better photo than me, but like I said, with digital cameras now days it’s not hard to take a legible photo if not anything else.

Sorry, I realize now I didn't explain the purpose behind this. This would be for getting a high-quality asset collection for Armada sites and apps. So list builders, Vassal, wikis, etc.

The one issue I see with taking photos of cards is that that introduces lens distortion and variable lighting conditions into the equation. If the cards are scanned, the results are much more consistent (albeit they'll differ if multiple people are scanning).

Open to being proven wrong here, but that's been my experience.