Engine "Modification Options" Cost

By JimSteele, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire RPG

Hi Folks,

Fully Operational does a really fun job of detailing vehicle crafting. My friend and I have been enjoying flying our self-crafted speeders around, even racing one (didn't win...we're not pilots). One thing that piques my interest is the vehicle component (ie engine and hull) "Modification Options" section.

What and how are these "Modifications" done? I have been using the EotE CRB p187 "Installing Mods" section, along with the "Starships, Vehicles, and Mods" section on p269. These make no mention of modding of "Components" vs "Attachments". Anyway, I was just going with the ten times the cost reference on p269 but wasn't convinced this was right as these are not attachment mods.

OggDude's Character Generator basically treats these components as "attachments" so that, after the vehicle is crafted, I can go into the attachments section and the mod mechanism works the same...mostly. OggDude's doesn't apply a cost as I check the mods. This makes sense to me but I see no reference anywhere of the source for this behavior. I can confirm that OggDude's does indeed apply a cost if I'm modding true vehicle attachments, adjacent to the components in the attachment list.

Sooo, what do you all think? How do you manage these Vehicle Component Modification Options?

Thank you all so very much.

Modding costs would be the same. They are basically just attachments.

Yes. Cr 1,000 per vehicle Mod (half that with Gearhead), even if it's a vehicle component that's being crafted.

We always treated vehicle mods as being identical to mods in weapons/armor, except a lot bigger (and more expensive). Which is how it should be, no need to complicate things with an arbitrarily different system.

12 hours ago, JimSteele said:

Hi Folks,

Fully Operational does a really fun job of detailing vehicle crafting. My friend and I have been enjoying flying our self-crafted speeders around, even racing one (didn't win...we're not pilots). One thing that piques my interest is the vehicle component (ie engine and hull) "Modification Options" section.

What and how are these "Modifications" done? I have been using the EotE CRB p187 "Installing Mods" section, along with the "Starships, Vehicles, and Mods" section on p269. These make no mention of modding of "Components" vs "Attachments". Anyway, I was just going with the ten times the cost reference on p269 but wasn't convinced this was right as these are not attachment mods.

OggDude's Character Generator basically treats these components as "attachments" so that, after the vehicle is crafted, I can go into the attachments section and the mod mechanism works the same...mostly. OggDude's doesn't apply a cost as I check the mods. This makes sense to me but I see no reference anywhere of the source for this behavior. I can confirm that OggDude's does indeed apply a cost if I'm modding true vehicle attachments, adjacent to the components in the attachment list.

Sooo, what do you all think? How do you manage these Vehicle Component Modification Options?

Thank you all so very much.

Tangential to this topic... you might want to check out the nubian design collective"s whole vehicle crafting handbook thread over in the aor forums. It's intended to be the smallest departure from RAW vehicle crafting that allows you to reproduce 95% of official vehicle stat blocks with a 95% quality match.

Thanks so much for your insight and wisdom everyone. So, what I am seeing is that everyone assumes the cost is the same (as regular vehicle attachment mods(1000 or 500 with Gearhead)) as there is no separate documentation in any of the books/dev replies stating otherwise. I do wonder why OggDude's miracle of a Character Generator specifically has this behaving differently. I'll visit that topic and perhaps log a potential bug.

Also, I'll go check out that handbook, EW! I've been using the rules on RPG Wiki as my main crafting reference (easier than flipping through different books all the time) but could always use a supplement.

Thanks again and happy crafting, one and all.

2 hours ago, JimSteele said:

Also, I'll go check out that handbook, EW! I've been using the rules on RPG Wiki as my main crafting reference (easier than flipping through different books all the time) but could always use a supplement.

Where did you find "RPG Wiki" reference?