My 'Gunslingers' really filled out w/points drop

By Deadshane, in Army Building

Troops are no longer just placeholders...actually contribute to the fighting!

Possible 11 (13 if your opponent screws up) separate attacks with peirce in 1 turn! DIE!

++ Gunslingers 2.0 [793 Points] ++

+ Commander +

•Cassian Andor [104 Points]: A280, Offensive Push

•Han Solo [100 Points]

+ Operative +

•K-2SO [80 Points]: •Jyn's SE-14 Blaster†

•Sabine Wren [152 Points]: Personal Combat Shield, Recon Intel, Seize the Initiative, •The Darksaber

+ Corps +

Fleet Troopers [70 Points]: Fleet Trooper, Scatter Gun Trooper

Fleet Troopers [70 Points]: Fleet Trooper, Scatter Gun Trooper

Rebel Troopers [73 Points]: DLT-20A Trooper, Rebel Trooper

+ Special Forces +

Rebel Commandos [48 Points]: DH-447 Sniper

+ Command Hand +

Command Hand: Sorry About the Mess, •Crack Shot, ••Last Stand, ••Symbol of Rebellion, •••Change of Plans, •••Legacy of Mandalore, ••••Standing Orders

+ Battle Cards +

Condition Cards: Limited Visibility, Rapid Reinforcements, Supply Drop, War Weary

Deployment Cards: Advanced Positions, Battle Lines, Hemmed In, Major Offensive

Objective Cards
. Hostage Exchange
. Intercept the Transmissions
. Payload
. Recover the Supplies

++ Total: [793 Points] ++

Created with BattleScribe

Edited by Deadshane

I have never been a huge fan of the Rebel Sniper. the damage output is just too low, you have a 23.5% chance of rolling blanks (the same chance as it happens of rolling 2 hits/crits) and if the defender has heavy cover you only have a 23.5% chance of even getting just 1 damage on the target (before they roll defense dice) take 1 or maybe 2 but all 3 is a waste in my view

Cheap activations. Makes life difficult for hth jedi which are a weakness of the list.

I think getting everyone into position turn one is going to be a challenge. Not having Han die before he gets to shoot once or twice will also be hard (he just goes down so fast without chewie)

I'm not a fan of the snipers, as I can barely even get a hit with them with 2 dice and there's a lot of red defense dice out there that they are shooting at. Having them shoot at B1 droids seems like a waste.

Have you played this? I'd be curious to see if it worked like you thought it would. Any Batreps?

12 minutes ago, buckero0 said:

I think getting everyone into position turn one is going to be a challenge. Not having Han die before he gets to shoot once or twice will also be hard (he just goes down so fast without chewie)

I'm not a fan of the snipers, as I can barely even get a hit with them with 2 dice and there's a lot of red defense dice out there that they are shooting at. Having them shoot at B1 droids seems like a waste.

Have you played this? I'd be curious to see if it worked like you thought it would. Any Batreps?

Pierce doesn't care about defense dice.

1 hour ago, arnoldrew said:

Pierce doesn't care about defense dice.

there aren't many things that have more than Pierce 1 in the army. Force Users so far, all have immune to pierce, you also have to roll enough hits to make them roll dice. Cover is a thing. And keeping Han alive is going to be a challenge.

Han really isnt that important other than the damage he does to the enemy. Not much of a benefit to courage, and Order cards are evenly split between the 3 gunslingers.

Force users arent too much of a problem. Especially with the new addition of the Fleets. Those guys along with the trooper squad just pump to much damage into them...eapecially the fleets. Also, you cannot dodge/deflect the high velocity shots of the snipers. I face vader often and although jedi are a pain...they can be managed....or 'out-meleed' by Sabine, who is speedier than any Jedi out there, and can benefit here by Han's 0-pip.

When two gunslingers make it to your lines...things just melt.

Cover is a thing? Solo, sharpshooter. Cassian, crit machine. Snipers, sharpshooters. Sabine, is well, Sabine but cheaper now. Cover is nice vs this list but doesnt effect it that badly.

Just played a game today...Ill put up a text batrep while its fresh in my mind...

Edited by Deadshane

here ya go. it didnt go a full six turns but...there it is.

On 12/15/2020 at 6:02 PM, Deadshane said:

Cheap activations. Makes life difficult for hth jedi which are a weakness of the list.

I have a hard time paying 48 points for 2 models when I can get 4 models for 50 points instead.

I dont think the sniper rifle is worth it.

There is a HECK of a lot more to it than just that.

Range 5, pierce, sharpshooter, free scout, surge to hit, low profile.

A heck of a lot more.

On 12/20/2020 at 12:54 PM, Deadshane said:

There is a HECK of a lot more to it than just that.

Range 5, pierce, sharpshooter, free scout, surge to hit, low profile.

A heck of a lot more.

For 50 points you can get 4 commandos with mostly the same keywords: sharpshooter, free scout, low profile, surge to hit. you get a unit of 4 guys that can all attack with black dice and help capture objectives.

Instead of 48 points for 2 commandos with one of them getting a sniper rifle. And if youre keeping the strike team at range 5 it can only attack with the sniper rifle anyway and cant help you capture objectives either.

I also think youre better off adding a heavy weapon to the standard commando unit now instead of using a strike team.

4 commandos + sniper = 78 points for 5 models (15.6 points per model)

strike team = 48 points for 2 models (24 points per model!!)

I just dont think strike teams are cost efficient anymore. the cost per model is really high.

Edited by Khobai

I think they can't really be compared as they serve different roles, the basic commando teams definitely are more useful now but tend to work best as objective grabbers and/or sneaky damage dealers whereas the sniper strike teams excel at dealing low amounts of damage reliably in a large radius. While an argument can be made for running the full teams in the list and it definitely could work, I feel that when you are running a large amount of damage focused characters you're often left with enemy units or characters with one or two wounds left and having sniper teams able to reliably deal those 1-2 wounds wherever they are on the board has saved my *** more times than not.

they definitely serve different roles no doubt

but i think sniper rifles cost way too many points now

I dont think theyre worth it anymore

2 hours ago, Khobai said:

they definitely serve different roles no doubt

but i think sniper rifles cost way too many points now

I dont think theyre worth it anymore

i think that this is the first time i have completely agreed with you, wow

I think they should have reduced the cost of the sniper and saboteur and increased the cost of the strike team so that the cost was the same but the heavies are more usable by the full squads, this for the Imp scouts as well

The rebel one was always sub-par I thought.

Range 5 and pierce is nice but there are other options at the 50pt range for a list and there are so many special forces options that I prefer in the Rebel army list.

On 12/21/2020 at 11:44 AM, 5particus said:

I think they should have reduced the cost of the sniper and saboteur and increased the cost of the strike team so that the cost was the same but the heavies are more usable by the full squads, this for the Imp scouts as well

The sniper and saboteur both shouldve come down in cost by 4 points each. Im not sure it would be necessary to make strike team cost 4 points more. They dont really seem worth it at their current cost.

I always thought the weapons should be variable based on the faction and dice, platform etc. Why does the Rebel and Imperial have to be the same when they aren't the same.

The proton charge should be a lot cheaper than the sniper just due to difficulty in use.

the proton charge is pretty useless anyway

it needs more than a points change to make it useful