Quick Draw question

By FelixFenix, in Star Wars: Force and Destiny RPG

If you loose initiative can you still use Quick Draw as incidental to ignite your lightsaber and be able to use parry/reflect to defend yourself from an attacker?

I'd say no, As per the full description on page 149 of the Force and Destiny Core Rulebook: "Once per round on the character’s turn , he may draw or holster an easily accessible weapon or item as an incidental, instead of a maneuver. This talent also reduces the amount of time to draw or stow a weapon that usually requires more than one maneuver to properly prepare or stow, by one maneuver."

This is rather a balancing mechanic too. If you weren't ready and someone got the drop on you, its only fair you wouldn't gain the benefits of anything that could protect you.

4 hours ago, FelixFenix said:

If you loose initiative can you still use Quick Draw as incidental to ignite your lightsaber and be able to use parry/reflect to defend yourself from an attacker?

I'd say sort ot.

Ignite, if it's already in your hand? Absolutely. They do that all the time in the movies and cartoons.

Draw, if it's not in your hand? No.

3 hours ago, micheldebruyn said:

I'd say sort ot.

Ignite, if it's already in your hand? Absolutely. They do that all the time in the movies and cartoons.

Draw, if it's not in your hand? No.

Thanks. This makes sense, I will use this rule in my games.

The answer is No, because Quick Draw does not have the Out of Turn note in its description.

27 minutes ago, HappyDaze said:

The answer is No, because Quick Draw does not have the Out of Turn note in its description.

The question is too ambiguous for a clear yes or no because he asks about igniting instead of drawing.

1 hour ago, micheldebruyn said:

The question is too ambiguous for a clear yes or no because he asks about igniting instead of drawing.

The same answer applies: igniting is an incidental, but it is not an out of turn incidental. All out of turn incidentals will specifically identify themselves as such. If it doesn't say it's out of turn, then you can only do it on your turn.

7 hours ago, HappyDaze said:

The same answer applies: igniting is an incidental, but it is not an out of turn incidental. All out of turn incidentals will specifically identify themselves as such. If it doesn't say it's out of turn, then you can only do it on your turn.

Thanks for the clarification.

On 12/14/2020 at 5:57 PM, HappyDaze said:

I'd agree otherwise it sort of gimps the aspect of getting the drop on someone that others eluded to and there are skills that exist specifically to help with the initiative in order to stop that.

On 12/14/2020 at 10:57 AM, HappyDaze said:

Where is igniting listed as an incidental? I'm not seeming to find it.

Also of note, if you roll a Triumph in (Vigilance-based) initiative, you may take an additional maneuver any time during the first round. So you could use that to spark up your laser sword before anyone can do anything.

(Please note you are still limited to two maneuvers in your turn. )

AoR, pp. 131; EoE, pp. 119; FnD, pp. 129.

The Force power Warde's Foresight from the adventure module Chronicles of the Gatekeeper is also super useful in this scenario. The character might be able to take an action before the encounter begins.

The Foresee Force power can do something similar.

The Iktochi species has a gimmick too.

Edited by RLogue177

I have allowed a DP flip to let someone Quick Draw/ignite out of turn, lest they be immediately taken apart without being able to Reflect. But only since it was already an incidental.

It goes both ways though, so GMs, if you allow that particular house rule, make sure to give all your Inquisitors Quick Draw. 😎

Oh yeah, yeah, yeah... I almost forgot. (I mean, I did forget, but now I remembered. Is that almost forgetting? Almost not remembering? I don't know.)

You can spend two Threats rolled by your opponent to take an immediate free maneuver. So if your opponent's turn goes before yours, and they botch up their roll a bit, you can cash in on that to light up your saber.

Table 6-2. AoR, pp. 219; EoE, pp. 207; FnD, pp. 212; the GM screens.

Here is my handy rules summary for all the ways to snag an additional maneuver in a round.

9 minutes ago, RLogue177 said:

Oh yeah, yeah, yeah... I almost forgot. (I mean, I did forget, but now I remembered. Is that almost forgetting? Almost not remembering? I don't know.)

You can spend two Threats rolled by your opponent to take an immediate free maneuver. So if your opponent's turn goes before yours, and they botch up their roll a bit, you can cash in on that to light up your saber.

Here is my handy rules summary for all the ways to snag an additional maneuver in a round.

I found this very useful. Thank you.

17 minutes ago, RLogue177 said:

Do you have other pages for other rules like this?