Using Huge ships as stationary platforms?

By LUZ_TAK, in X-Wing Epic Play

For a narrarive "attack the base" kind of game, I was wondering if you could use the Huge ships components (bases, energy management, upgrades and such) to represent a stationary target. It would mean no movement rules and some way to counter the "firing blind spots" of the ships.

Would taking a huge ship and give him 360° firing with primary weapon in exchange of no movement be "balanced" points wise? This is assuming the enemy must engage the stationary target, either to destroy or scan or whatever.

Any other tweaks and ideas to make this work?

Edited by LUZ_TAK

Sure, I guess? In fact, there's no reason why you couldn't use a stationary Huge ship as is.

Plenty of missions in the X-Wing PC games involved taking down an immobilised target before enemy reinforcements arrived. Set a turn timer, attacking force achieves victory if they destroy the huge ship before the turn limit is reached. Or simply have enemy reinforcements arrive after a set number of turns.

No need arc either, really; let the defender place the ship anywhere beyond Range 2 of the board edge. The defenders can use other ships to protect the huge ship's blind spots.

There is certainly allot of design space available to you. I will certainly encourage playtesting to achieve the balance you are seeking. Using straight up points can be a good guideline as well as a clear indication that things are out of balance.

Areas to consider to help with balancing your "Huge Ship" base:

Actions: Allow the base to take more than 1 action per round. Perhaps 1 additional action for each Team equipped to it. Consider the ability to take the same action more than once (this can be attractive for linked Calculate or linked focus actions).

Huge Damage Deck: Trim down the Huge Ship damage deck to eliminate primary effects that apply to movement. Develop a method to allow defenders to trigger the "Precision Shot" effect, especially if the relevant arc is not accessible because the base doesn't move. Something like "For each Crit taken by the base, roll one attack die. For each hit rolled, apply the primary effect. For each crit rolled, apply both the primary and Precision Shot effects." Be creative.

Upgrade Slots: Add or remove upgrade slots for your base.

Ordnance Tubes: Modify these to treat all missile and torpedoes as single arc turret weapons (online or offline), eliminating the dependency on the base's front arc.

Base size: Expand the size of the base by using more than one Huge Ship base, or by adding additional L, M, or S ship bases. This can create a larger base footprint and provide an opportunity for additional weapons or mission objectives.

Good luck!

You could do that, to emulate imperial space docks... Say have 4 'raider' bases linked at the corners, forming a large + sign..

Going back aways, I was working on the same idea. One of the ideas was to divide the station into quadrants that could be defeated separately, so it's really 4 Huge ships but smaller, stat wise.

RgtnKvt.jpg

Also, back when Huge ships only got 1 action, it gave the station 4 actions.

I haven't revisited the idea for 2.0.

This model makes for a great "dinner plate" station:

https://eugenetoyandhobby.com/shop/pegasus-hobbies-9100-172-area-51-ufo-a-e-341-15b/?gclid=CjwKCAiAt9z-BRBCEiwA_bWv-Iqg3ZxsN8FGg_McDRLZE1MAjtJej8bIBf0C3cVUadsqNzHFA3ag-RoCarMQAvD_BwE

GbF4shX.jpg

Edited by Darth Meanie