New Ship Cards

By JediPartisan, in Star Wars: Armada

It seems as though not too many are fans of the new card size. Regardless of how you feel, how many people would like to see the upgrade load out displayed on the front where the stats are? Even in list builders, you need to guess what the upgrade options are for a ship before selecting. It is a minor annoyance, but I would think its easily corrected. At the bottom of each card there is a black or grey strip (dependant on faction. Grey for Republic, black for CIS). I don’t see why the upgrade options can’t be added there. Even the ship cost could be added in this spot and to keep all info on one side, you could even put the trait text in the strip below the title. I guess what I’m suggesting, is to put all the game info on one card side and leave the back for a full size picture. What does everyone think, and if everyone likes the idea, do you think FFG AMG would change the future ship card layouts?

Edit: Or you could even have a ruined version of the ship’s picture on the back and have the point total displayed there as well as the front. That way you can flip the card to show the ship was destroyed and still add point values. Either way, I wish all the game info was on one side.

Edited by JediPartisan
42 minutes ago, JediPartisan said:

It seems as though not too many are fans of the new card size. Regardless of how you feel, how many people would like to see the upgrade load out displayed on the front where the stats are? Even in list builders, you need to guess what the upgrade options are for a ship before selecting. It is a minor annoyance, but I would think its easily corrected. At the bottom of each card there is a black or grey strip (dependant on faction. Grey for Republic, black for CIS). I don’t see why the upgrade options can’t be added there. Even the ship cost could be added in this spot and to keep all info on one side, you could even put the trait text in the strip below the title. I guess what I’m suggesting, is to put all the game info on one card side and leave the back for a full size picture. What does everyone think, and if everyone likes the idea, do you think FFG AMG would change the future ship card layouts?

Edit: Or you could even have a ruined version of the ship’s picture on the back and have the point total displayed there as well as the front. That way you can flip the card to show the ship was destroyed and still add point values. Either way, I wish all the game info was on one side.

No, they are not going to change back.

But here:

1 hour ago, JediPartisan said:

Or you could even have a ruined version of the ship’s picture on the back and have the point total displayed there as well as the front. That way you can flip the card to show the ship was destroyed and still add point values. Either way, I wish all the game info was on one side.

I love that idea!! I was planning on printing tarot sized versions (and small upgrades), now I’m hoping someone will do ruined ship pictures to go on the back!

This was a pretty dumb change that doesn't make any sense.

And who builds lists without looking at the ship stats? You definitely need both sides of information to build a list.

The only time you don't need to know all of it is during a game

Could you print the upgrade options on a sticker and just stick it over the art on the obverse (game) side of the card?

I like the change to a standard size and I don't feel like I need the upgrade slots visible on the obverse, but that seems a reasonable fix. You could even put the card in a clear sleeve (I use penny sleeves because they fit in my 9-pocket pages easily but for this I'd recommend a stouter sleeve like an UP) and just put the sticker on that so you're not 'ruining' your card.

Probably points and slots will be in a pdf in future, so that information is not relevant then. Legion went that way.

21 minutes ago, Xeletor said:

Probably points and slots will be in a pdf in future, so that information is not relevant then. Legion went that way.

But it'd be a colossally dumb move to rerelease every upgrade card in the game in a new format, encourage new and old players to buy this by making a few changes here and there, and THEN change to a points-free format in the near future.

The opportunity to go points-free on cards (which X-Wing has been doing for almost two years ago) was with the release of the card upgrade pack... and they didn't. Which suggests they weren't planning to go that route in the future, either. Though, the big wildcard now is AMG ... who knows what the future of Armada holds now?

5 hours ago, EBerling said:

The opportunity to go points-free on cards [...] was with the release of the card upgrade pack... and they didn't

Legion cards still have points printed - the original points values, even after they did their card pack which came out after a big rebalance. The rules state that the printed values can be used for casual play, but tournament lists must be built according to the latest rules reference.

The funny thing is, Armada and Legion are two games where I only list-build online and never look at the cards until I'm gathering what I've already decided on (except when I'm looking at the cards just because they're pretty). But X-wing is a game where I like to pick out my ships from a box and throw together a list on the fly; it's one of the reasons I actually like quick-builds. And in the event I don't like the available quickbuilds, I often guesstimate what will be fair rather than load up the app, since I only play casually.

12 hours ago, Green Knight said:

No, they are not going to change back.

But here:

Actually I never mentioned changing back to tarot size. I think the size change is permanent as it was a monetary decision, ie, uniform card size saves them money in manufacturing and they continue to charge the same price (or more) for the ships. But they could still make format changes via printing to the current size, which is what I mentioned.

7 hours ago, Requete said:

Could you print the upgrade options on a sticker and just stick it over the art on the obverse (game) side of the card?

I like the change to a standard size and I don't feel like I need the upgrade slots visible on the obverse, but that seems a reasonable fix. You could even put the card in a clear sleeve (I use penny sleeves because they fit in my 9-pocket pages easily but for this I'd recommend a stouter sleeve like an UP) and just put the sticker on that so you're not 'ruining' your card.

I did that with the latest updates. I sleeve all my cards and print out the latest errata and slip the printout into the sleeve with the card. As for the ships, it would be nice to not automatically have to treat the card like it has errata and have a card that works well for its intended purpose. To be able to see all the ship info on one card at a glance would be invaluable. Also I do like the idea of the ruined picture of the ship on the back with the ship’s value, that would just be fun.

As far as points-less cards go, I think FFG learned that it’s more work for them to manage a points system. If they do errata, they only need one document (the RRG) and they definitely don’t want to make another e-builder again as it was costly to make and maintain the X-Wing version.