Battle Meditation Wing

By ForceSensitive, in X-Wing Epic Play

Okay, I admit, I was a bit tipsy when I made this. I was trying to be super themer and funny and ridiculous. But does it not do what I think it does? Don't the battle meditations create a feedback loop basically? So you can move the wing with Ani, so some crazy EXTREME wing maneuver, then Ashoka grants two actions, the next Jedi grants two, rinse and repeat till all four Jedi Knights have a focus+lock?

Battle Meditation (400/200)
==========================
Delta-7: Anakin Skywalker (61 + 40)
+ Veteran Wing Leader (2)
+ Extreme Maneuvers (4)
+ R2-D2 (10)
+ Delta-7B (24)
Delta-7: Ahsoka Tano (43 + 18)
+ Battle Meditation (3)
+ R7-A7 (3)
+ Delta-7B (12)
Delta-7: Jedi Knight (37 + 15)
+ Battle Meditation (3)
+ Delta-7B (12)
+ Battle Meditation (3)
+ Delta-7B (12)
+ Battle Meditation (3)
+ Delta-7B (12)
+ Battle Meditation (3)
+ Delta-7B (12)
Hyperspace Ring: TransGalMeg Control Link (5)

Yeah, there's some shenanigans you can get up to with Battle Meditation.

However, Wing + Ring doesn't work. Ships which are part of a wing cannot be docked or placed in reserve, and the hyperspace rings don't do anything without docking.

@theBitterFig Oh crud that's right. The ring is such a small thing I didn't even think about that docking part when it came to the wing but yeah it technically is docked, huh. Never had reserve wings come up before so I never even thought of that either. Okay well, still neat as just a wing.

Waitaminit,holup. You can just move the wing card over to the rings, and make the pile of ships just launch from there, right? The rings are counted as carriers in the RRG. You just can't make the ships docked to the ring-wing a separate wing themselves. And the ring nor the Hyperdrive require you to be in reserve anyway. Right?

I feel that rings could get an exemption for the wing rule. It's the first time a small can get docked to a small. The dock preventing rule makes sense for preventing you from being a wing of attack shuttles docked to ghosts lol. Not so much sense for being strapped to a booster rocket glorified placeholder.

1 hour ago, ForceSensitive said:

Waitaminit,holup. You can just move the wing card over to the rings, and make the pile of ships just launch from there, right? The rings are counted as carriers in the RRG. You just can't make the ships docked to the ring-wing a separate wing themselves. And the ring nor the Hyperdrive require you to be in reserve anyway. Right?

I mean, the rule is specifically thus: " During the Place Forces step of setup, the entire wing is placed immediately after the wing leader is placed at their initiative. Ships that are part of a wing cannot be docked or placed in reserve unless a specific scenario dictates it. "

Reading that... I kind of don't think there's any issue with having wing ships being carriers. Putting Wing Leader on Anakin's Hyperdrive would allow you to deploy a whole bunch of them at Init 6. Once you undock, you'd fly as normal. That'd be a really massive obstacle field. However, not all that different from simply placing six rings independently, and then undocking the various Jedi on their own.

Either way, the Aethersprites aren't in a wing in the end.

1 hour ago, ForceSensitive said:

I feel that rings could get an exemption for the wing rule. It's the first time a small can get docked to a small. The dock preventing rule makes sense for preventing you from being a wing of attack shuttles docked to ghosts lol. Not so much sense for being strapped to a booster rocket glorified placeholder.

Could it? Maybe. Should they? I'd argue not. Docked ships also matter for stuff like Gozantis.

I'm sure, however, that if you wanted to try deploying wings from a large group of docking rings with friends, ask them and they'll probably let you try it.

Thematically, it seems like it'd be hard to maintain formation through Hyperspace.

2 hours ago, theBitterFig said:

Could it? Maybe. Should they? I'd argue not. Docked ships also matter for stuff like Gozantis.

I'm sure, however, that if you wanted to try deploying wings from a large group of docking rings with friends, ask them and they'll probably let you try it.

Thematically, it seems like it'd be hard to maintain formation through Hyperspace.

I suppose it wouldn't be that hard to add on a few extra paragraphs for wings deploying from anything. So long as their were reasonable restrictions on when and how and what not. I think way long ago we just house ruled something in for one game when someone accidentally showed up with a dock wing on gonzo. That's like over a year ago so I don't remember what exactly we did. It didn't really mean anything up though. Wings in general are such a great feature that we've been pretty lax on few corner cases come to think of it.

Thematically I can't come up with anything to bother it. Formations jumped together through Hyperspace all the time in both animated shows, whole fleets do it all the time in the movies keeping relatively close formation. And at the end the wing rule feels more like a simplified way of managing squads over actually trying to simulate Blue Angels style aerobatics to me. So any 'slop' that should be there thematically I'd let slide. Rule of cool at that point.