Honest Challenger?

By redcapjack, in L5R LCG: Rules Discussion

So, I was playing a game... and the Honest Challenger FORCES the winner to bring another personality into battle? How does that make any sort of narrative sense? I in his battle... so I /need/ to bring in these other people my one guy didn't need for this conflict? How does that make even a lick of sense? Was that actually the intent of the card, or was it just an oversight?

Cards rarely make a lot of narrative sense. The intention is a harpoon effect like how Yogo Hirue makes come hither eyes at an Marauding Oni and the demon is drawn into the conflict or say Akodo Toturi gets a mystical Dragon clan Hawk tattoo and is magically catapulted into a conflict.

Honest Challenger is an interesting card as rather than it just being automatic like Yogo Hirue or Hawk Tattoo, it is the winner of a duel meaning the person playing the Challenger needs to work out if they want to win or lose and then manipulate the duel so they get the desired effect. Do also keep in mind though that the Challenger cards are basically a failed experiment. Many clans never ran theirs (the Crab Challenger was bad) and don't run them much any more if they did.

3 hours ago, DarkHorse said:

Cards rarely make a lot of narrative sense. The intention is a harpoon effect like how Yogo Hirue makes come hither eyes at an Marauding Oni and the demon is drawn into the conflict or say Akodo Toturi gets a mystical Dragon clan Hawk tattoo and is magically catapulted into a conflict.

Just a side note - the Hawk tattoo no longer works that way
This card received an erratum at 2018-10-17. The following text is added: " Attach to a character you control."

On 12/10/2020 at 6:57 PM, Tonbo Karasu said:

Just a side note - the Hawk tattoo no longer works that way
This card received an erratum at 2018-10-17. The following text is added: " Attach to a character you control."

I never said it was your opponent's Toturi.