Imperial and rebel ranks

By welldressedgent, in Star Wars: Age of Rebellion RPG

Is there someplace online where I can find a clear description of rebel and imperial rank structure? For both officers and enlisted personnel. I ask because the chart on AOR 393 doesn't make sense ( a chief petty officer; but no petty officer, a master sergeant; but no sergeant ) and it contradicts the online stuff I found, which also contradict one another. Maybe Lucas just improvised in his early movies; but I figure someone must have formalized them in the meantime. Any clarity here would be welcome.

-g

The Imperial Sourcebook and Rebel Alliance Sourcebook from the old Westend Games version were pretty great if very dry reads.

http://d6holocron.com/downloads/wegsourcebooks.html

Edited by micheldebruyn

I was going (and I guess I'm still going to) say that No. There isn't a clear description for ranks, rank structures, and/or insignia for Star Wars.

Of all the great qualities that went into designing the Star Wars universe, Rank structure and insignia for uniforms was NOT one of them. In short, Imperial Rank appears to be a random assortment of Jolly Rancher candies.

What I've (not)* done is come up with my own rank structure.

* I haven't really dealt with rank structure in my AoR campaign because it isn't important to the group (really). Although some of the players have begun to request 'promotions' so . . . maybe it will become an issue shortly. If it becomes something that I need to define, I'm simply going to check out the US Army and US Navy rank structures because 'Merica! <F###> Yeah!

2 hours ago, Mark Caliber said:

* I haven't really dealt with rank structure in my AoR campaign because it isn't important to the group (really). Although some of the players have begun to request 'promotions' so . . . maybe it will become an issue shortly. If it becomes something that I need to define, I'm simply going to check out the US Army and US Navy rank structures because 'Merica! <F###> Yeah!

I've built a rank structure/unit composition for a Rebel Sector Army unit up to the Company level. I can share if you'd like, as I've already done the research. It's comparable to the US Army/Marines, but simplified and made (in my opinion) more appropriate to how the Rebels operate.

According to the Rebel Alliance Sourcebook p98: General / Admiral > Colonel > Commander > Major > Captain > Lieutenant. Nothing about enlisted ranks ( sorry troops, you're not important enough to even get a rank ). Maybe Mark is right.

-g