4x T-70’s

By JLank, in X-Wing Squad Lists

Trying to figure out the optimal configuration for this squad. I have been favoring:

Jess Pava

Automated Targeting Priority

Red Squad Expert

Heroic

LT Bastian

R3 Astromech

Nimi Chireen

Total: 198 points

Enough to fit an R4 on someone I suppose. Lots of firepower, reasonably durable. Can get a fair number of double mods. Has to rely on blocking or spreading out arcs to pin down aces. Overall I just like the archetype. It can survive a mistake or two. Open to suggestions or to hear if you have a preferred 4X squad

Haven’t put this on the table yet, but I quite like the look of it. I value the matching 4 initiatives quite highly. Makes it much easier to fly.

Wexley’s X-Wings

(53) Temmin Wexley [T-70 X-wing] (HoH)
(0) Jamming Beam
(0) Integrated S-foils
(1) Heroic

(50) Kare Kun [T-70 X-wing]
(0) Jamming Beam
(0) Integrated S-foils
(1) Heroic

(48) C'ai Threnalli [T-70 X-wing]
(0) Jamming Beam
(0) Integrated S-foils

(46) Black Squadron Ace [T-70 X-wing]
(0) Jamming Beam
(0) Integrated S-foils
(1) Heroic

Total points: 200

I’ve tried the same combo of x-wings. But ultimately found 4 x’s with Rose support is simply more efficient. They can operate independently and Rose has room for 3P0 now. That being said I’d look to add some sort of droid charges to Jess.

This is what I'd fly:

C'ai Threnalli (48)
Heroic (1)
R4 Astromech (2)
Integrated S-Foils (0)
XX-23 S-Thread Tracers (2)

Black Squadron Ace (46)
Heroic (1)
R4 Astromech (2)
Integrated S-Foils (0)

Black Squadron Ace (46)
Heroic (1)
R4 Astromech (2)
Integrated S-Foils (0)

Black Squadron Ace (46)
Heroic (1)
R4 Astromech (2)
Integrated S-Foils (0)
Total: 200

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0

Leap frog C'ai for evade+focus, give the other three TL+focus shots, potentially Initiative kill things. It's all good.

Where are you guys getting your 1pt Heroic from?

Seen a fair bit of 4x T70 and I very much feel that adding a Pod is the way to go.

ATP is alright, but on these, if you need to fan out and focus fire, it's gonna be pretty debilitating. Missing shots to prime it seems not ideal.

Heroic changed in the last points update. It now scales with agility. It's 1 point on agility 0/1/2 ships and 2 points on agility 3.

1 hour ago, Elbastido said:

Heroic changed in the last points update. It now scales with agility. It's 1 point on agility 0/1/2 ships and 2 points on agility 3.

Oooooh! That totally skipped by me!

1 hour ago, Elbastido said:

It’s an odd change to me. I have to think it triggers more often on 2 green dice than it does with 3.

24 minutes ago, j_man_04 said:

It’s an odd change to me. I have to think it triggers more often on 2 green dice than it does with 3.

the cynic in me thinks , it is more to do with the 2 attack dice of the A wing as that with advance optics is a very good combo

also yes 3 green dice triggers less however when it does happen you can go from a dead A wing in a single shot to not losing a Awing. Which can save you a game.

also I think they want to push star bird slash ( can't remember what it is called now) so made heroic more expensive for A wings to make is less auto include.

7 minutes ago, 01jbell said:

the cynic in me thinks , it is more to do with the 2 attack dice of the A wing as that with advance optics is a very good combo

The cynic in me agrees with this. It’s a great combo. Just funny they needed to remove an offensive combo by pricing something based on defense. They could have followed the same logic with attack dice and I wouldn’t have questioned it.

32 minutes ago, j_man_04 said:

The cynic in me agrees with this. It’s a great combo. Just funny they needed to remove an offensive combo by pricing something based on defense. They could have followed the same logic with attack dice and I wouldn’t have questioned it.

I think there are too many 2 attack dice ships in the resistance that would be hurt by pricing it that way,

fireball

transport

transport pod

also how do they word it to include the YT1300 turret and the star fortress turret?

I think it was just easier to do green dice as it is much simple to price it that way.

2 hours ago, 01jbell said:

I think there are too many 2 attack dice ships in the resistance that would be hurt by pricing it that way,

fireball

transport

transport pod

also how do they word it to include the YT1300 turret and the star fortress turret?

I think it was just easier to do green dice as it is much simple to price it that way.

Not sure I understand how the turrets would factor into it at all. Your primary attack value is your primary attack value regardless of arc.

I love both 4x T70s and 4x T70s and Rose.

My current favorite 4x squad is:

Blue Squadron Rookie (41)
BB Astromech (1)
Advanced Optics (5)
Integrated S-Foils (0)

BB Astromech (1)
Advanced Optics (5)
Integrated S-Foils (0)

BB Astromech (1)
Advanced Optics (5)
Integrated S-Foils (0)

Temmin Wexley (HoH) (53)
Heroic (1)
Advanced Optics (5)
Integrated S-Foils (0)

Just fly Temmin at the back to keep him out of trouble. Point the 4 ships at a thing. Incinerate thing with something like 2.8 expected hits with every shot where they have both tokens.

Edited by missileaway
15 hours ago, j_man_04 said:

Not sure I understand how the turrets would factor into it at all. Your primary attack value is your primary attack value regardless of arc.

But... some ships have a primary “V” arc and a primary “turret” arc as well, and sometimes the attack values aren’t the same.

For example, tell me: how would they scale the cost of Heroic on the Resistance MG-100 StarFortress Bomber if it scaled by primary attack dice? It has a primary attack of 2 AND a primary attack of 3. See the issue?

Edited by Cpt ObVus
7 minutes ago, Cpt ObVus said:

But... some ships have a primary “V” arc and a primary “turret” arc as well, and sometimes the attack values aren’t the same.

For example, tell me: how they would scale the cost of Heroic on the Resistance MG-100 StarFortress Bomber if it scaled by primary attack dice? It has a primary attack of 2 AND a primary attack of 3. See the issue?

by making it small ship only lol

10 minutes ago, j_man_04 said:

by making it small ship only lol

No thanks. I like my Heroic StarFortresses!

59 minutes ago, Cpt ObVus said:

No thanks. I like my Heroic StarFortresses!

I think it just hurts my head that they needed to fix an upgrade due to its offensive capabilities by pricing it based on agility...

8 hours ago, j_man_04 said:

I think it just hurts my head that they needed to fix an upgrade due to its offensive capabilities by pricing it based on agility...

I think heroic never needed fixing they were just trying to push that new A wing talent more then the forma. the only way to do that was to have it cost more for a A wing then the other resistance ships, where the only way to do that was on Agility as A wing is the only AG 3 ship where there are a lot of 2 dice attack ships,

back to the more important 4 T-70.

this is one I am testing out in the near future.

BB Astromech (1)
Integrated S-Foils (0)

Ship total: 42 Half Points: 21 Threshold: 4

BB Astromech (1)
Integrated S-Foils (0)

BB Astromech (1)
Integrated S-Foils (0)

Poe Dameron (62)
Heroic (1)
R4 Astromech (2)
Integrated S-Foils (0)

Ship total: 65 Half Points: 33 Threshold: 4

Total: 191

I have played poe and 3 A wings a bit so replaced the A wings with t-70 and a 9 point bid.

So four 4X I'm rolling with this, all double modded and Jess and Joph have some level of defensive buff.

T-70 X-wing - •Joph Seastriker - 53 •Joph Seastriker - Reckless Bodyguard (48) Deadeye Shot (1) •R6-D8 (4) Integrated S-foils (Open) (0)

T-70 X-wing - •Jessika Pava - 51 •Jessika Pava - The Great Destroyer (51) Integrated S-foils (Open) (0)

T-70 X-wing - •Lieutenant Bastian - 47 •Lieutenant Bastian - Optimistic Analyst (47) Integrated S-foils (Open) (0)

T-70 X-wing - •Nimi Chereen - 49 •Nimi Chereen - Hopeful Hero (49) Integrated S-foils (Open) (0)

4x and a Pod you can fit Baby Blues and Finn.

Resistance Transport Pod - •Finn - 36 •Finn - Big Deal (30) Heroic (1) •C-3PO (5)

T-70 X-wing - Blue Squadron Rookie - 41 Blue Squadron Rookie - (41) Integrated S-foils (Open) (0)

T-70 X-wing - Blue Squadron Rookie - 41 Blue Squadron Rookie - (41) Integrated S-foils (Open) (0)

Fact is, the most numerically effective use of Heroic is indeed on a T-70, where the green dice benefit is largest. So this price scaling wasn't like Hull or Shield upgrade, where the power of a marginal health is relative to the agility of the ship in a clean mathematical way. Instead, this was a nerf about who was using heroic, how frustrating it could be in "worst case."

It was specifically an A-Wing nerf. Think of it as "1 point for most stuff, 2 points for A-Wings" and that's it. You can say Optics, which went up a point, and many RZ-2 pilots went up in price, too. Scaling on attack dice would have hit Fireballs harder than FFG would want, so Agility works fine. But A-Wings had fairly consistent red dice for a boosting turret, and had this super FeelsBadMan bail-out for when their green dice bottom out, and folks found these ships a lot more frustrating to fly against than their win rates would suggest. So nerf.

It's not worth trying to jump through hoops for alternatives. The goal--whatever folks might think of that goal--to nerf the RZ-2 and only the RZ-2 was accomplished.

//

Anyhow, HOH Snap looks really good. I'm disinclined to bother with named pilots other than Snap, Jess, and Bastian, and I'm leery of Automated Targeting Protocols. The named pilots do kind of the same thing (get you double mods) easier and with fewer restrictions, so I'd just go with that.

I'd be inclined to go:

• HOH Snap (Heroic, Hull)
  • Black Ace (Heroic)
  • Black Ace (Heroic)
  • Black Ace (Heroic)

or

• HOH Snap (Heroic)
  • Jess Pava (BB Astro)
  • Lieutenant Bastian
  • Red Expert (Heroic)
    • If it doesn't have to be an X-Wing, Kazuda Xiono (Heroic, R5) is the same price, and pretty much just better.

//

If I really wanted Automat X-Wings, I'd look at blues, for pure cheapness.

• Blue (ATP)
  • Blue (ATP)
  • Blue (ATP)
  • Resistance Transport (BB Astromech, Tractor Beam)
  • Resistance Transport (BB Astromech, Tractor Beam)
    • The BB Astro on the Transport hopefully adds some nice flexibility to a chassis that isn't very mobile.
    • Tractor Beam potentially lets you "cheat" the ATP, since you could move something in or out of arc, in or out of range, and get control back over the upgrade.
      • Putting ATP on the Transports in this list would be a mistake, since they're here to manipulate ranges.
Edited by theBitterFig