Eta-2 Actis Reviews

By Makikis, in X-Wing

I've noticed that there aren't really many people who review/unbox new X-Wing ships, so I thought I would start this thread for people to review the Eta-2 Actis that came out recently.

Please try to take more list-build-y discussion-y type things elsewhere. This is intended to be a tool for people looking into buying the Eta-2 Actis. (Also please let me know if someone is already doing something like this).

*I know that Crabbok does unboxings, but (at least for me) it is nicer to have multiple opinions on a product rather than just one.

Edited by Makikis

The ship mini looks amazing, the card art is great. Why wouldn’t you buy one? :)

*well, I suppose if you don’t play republic ever, then maybe not.

I have two, and I am contemplating getting two more because you can fit 4 in a list (closest I’m getting to list builds).

There is this thread, and a similar one for the Droid Tri-Fighter. There’s a lot of what I think you’re looking for in there.

You say you’d like a tool for someone who’s looking to buy an Eta-2... but for what purpose? To play X-Wing with? Or to display on a shelf?

If you’re looking to display these, they’re fantastic, as most of these models are. The inclusion of the Hyperspace Ring, particularly, is a nice touch.

If you’re looking to play with them, I would think that if you’re halfway serious about your Republic game, you’ll need two of these. I wouldn’t imagine most lists will use more than three, and four is as many as you can possibly squeeze into 200 points. So unless you plan to play Epic, go by those guidelines.

Two is where I ended up, as it gives me the option of using Eta-2 Obi-Wan and Eta-2 Anakin together (they have a lot of synergy with each other). Truth be told, I’ll probably end up buying a third, because they do look to be exceptionally strong in gameplay.

They’re Force-hungry ships. The purple Tallon Rolls, purple Systems Phase repositions, purple Target Locks, die roll modifications, and optional Force power upgrades can leave these ships absolutely starved for Force. Eta-2 Yoda can act as a sort of Force Battery support ship to other Eta-2’s, as can the “Patience” Force power upgrade, included in this package. For Eta-2 Anakin, Patience (a Light Side power) is unusable, but he can try using Hate (a Dark Side power) instead.

I haven’t had a chance to run many games with the Eta-2, but I have tried running Aayla Secura. Her pilot ability never really happened for me in a spot where it mattered, so she was essentially just an initiative 5 Eta-2 with two Force charges, but she was exceptional. Fast, maneuverable, highly resistant to obstacle troubles (due to the Systems Phase Boosts and Barrel Rolls), and easily able to line up her bullseye arc, she dealt out quite a lot of damage before her luck ran out and she blanked out on a critical four die attack, and just evaporated (as any three hull unshielded ship eventually will).

I look forward to running the other Eta-2’s, most of which have easier-to-use text, and I’m sure that part of my difficulties in getting Aayla’s ability to happen were definitely due to a lack of practice as much as anything. They definitely seem to be one of the game’s best Ace platforms, and I’m sure that many an Anakin will run the table and make a lot of opponents look very silly from the cockpit of one of these.

7 hours ago, Cpt ObVus said:

There is this thread, and a similar one for the Droid Tri-Fighter. There’s a lot of what I think you’re looking for in there.

You say you’d like a tool for someone who’s looking to buy an Eta-2... but for what purpose? To play X-Wing with? Or to display on a shelf?

If you’re looking to display these, they’re fantastic, as most of these models are. The inclusion of the Hyperspace Ring, particularly, is a nice touch.

If you’re looking to play with them, I would think that if you’re halfway serious about your Republic game, you’ll need two of these. I wouldn’t imagine most lists will use more than three, and four is as many as you can possibly squeeze into 200 points. So unless you plan to play Epic, go by those guidelines.

Two is where I ended up, as it gives me the option of using Eta-2 Obi-Wan and Eta-2 Anakin together (they have a lot of synergy with each other). Truth be told, I’ll probably end up buying a third, because they do look to be exceptionally strong in gameplay.

They’re Force-hungry ships. The purple Tallon Rolls, purple Systems Phase repositions, purple Target Locks, die roll modifications, and optional Force power upgrades can leave these ships absolutely starved for Force. Eta-2 Yoda can act as a sort of Force Battery support ship to other Eta-2’s, as can the “Patience” Force power upgrade, included in this package. For Eta-2 Anakin, Patience (a Light Side power) is unusable, but he can try using Hate (a Dark Side power) instead.

I haven’t had a chance to run many games with the Eta-2, but I have tried running Aayla Secura. Her pilot ability never really happened for me in a spot where it mattered, so she was essentially just an initiative 5 Eta-2 with two Force charges, but she was exceptional. Fast, maneuverable, highly resistant to obstacle troubles (due to the Systems Phase Boosts and Barrel Rolls), and easily able to line up her bullseye arc, she dealt out quite a lot of damage before her luck ran out and she blanked out on a critical four die attack, and just evaporated (as any three hull unshielded ship eventually will).

I look forward to running the other Eta-2’s, most of which have easier-to-use text, and I’m sure that part of my difficulties in getting Aayla’s ability to happen were definitely due to a lack of practice as much as anything. They definitely seem to be one of the game’s best Ace platforms, and I’m sure that many an Anakin will run the table and make a lot of opponents look very silly from the cockpit of one of these.

Actually, Anakin is both light side and dark side, so he can equip both hate and patience

9 hours ago, Cpt ObVus said:

but for what purpose? To play X-Wing with? Or to display on a shelf?

I was thinking more to play X-Wing with, but definitely feel free to talk about display value.

I'm still waiting for mine. Not many stores got them. The rest of the wave arrived on the scheduled date, but not the ETA-2 Actis sadly. It is the one ship I was looking forward to the most, of course...

Edited by admat

deleted

Edited by BlackSunSyn
4 hours ago, admat said:

I'm still waiting for mine. Not many stores got them. The rest of the wave arrived on the scheduled date, but not the ETA-2 Actis sadly. It is the one ship I was looking forward to the most, of course...

I ordered two Eta-2’s, 3 Tri-Fighters, 3 V-Wings, and a Slave 1 from a couple of eBay sellers a full month before the wave dropped. The only thing I got was the Eta-2’s. The rest, I am told, never arrived from Asmodee. “They should be arriving today,” said the seller just minutes ago.

FWIW I pre-ordered a Jango, two Etas, and four V-Wings from Miniature Market and everything arrived this past Friday. I guess it's definitely a case of YMMV with shipments. :blink:

I misplaced my experience already in the wrong thread. All I know now of these nimble little pre-action movers is they are fun to watch fly, but they pop when trying to tangle with Silencers.

5 hours ago, Cpt ObVus said:

I ordered two Eta-2’s, 3 Tri-Fighters, 3 V-Wings, and a Slave 1 from a couple of eBay sellers a full month before the wave dropped. The only thing I got was the Eta-2’s. The rest, I am told, never arrived from Asmodee. “They should be arriving today,” said the seller just minutes ago.

Unlucky, I only ordered Jango who arrived yesterday.

0 out of 9 ships arriving is painful, even if all we can do is look at how pretty they are.

Somehow they shorted us at least one of every expansion at out FLGS except ETA’s, which they sent 8 too many of 🤷‍♂️