The return of the Inferno Swarm?

By Ryuneke, in X-Wing Squad Lists

What do you think, is the inferno swarm still strong? I mean with the points update you can actually put it back to the table.

“Howlrunner” (44)
Swarm Tactics (4)

Iden Versio (40)
Swarm Tactics (3)

Academy Pilot (22)

Gideon Hask (29)

Del Meeko (29)

“Wampa” (28)
Total: 199

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0

I haven’t played a lot of swarms but this is something where I think I would sink some time into.

what do you think?

Edited by Ryuneke

I’m not sure what the power level would be compared to the other stuff out there but it would be nice to see tie swarms back on the table.

You can't go far wrong with TIE/ln all-stars.

One Swarm Tactics is a good idea; getting an early shot off with Wampa makes the difference between a 3-dice focused attack and a 2-dice attack where you've probably already spent your focus defensively.

I'm not sure the second is necessary, especially since Gideon - your other big gun - kinda wants to shoot last and pick on a damaged target.

The big problem with Inferno Squad - or, at least, Del and Gideon, is that removing Marksmanship as a hyperspace option kind of dumps on Seyn; she can't reliably trigger her ability. Even with Howlrunner's reroll, you've only got about a 1/3 chance of it triggering.

I do wonder if Deadeye Shot might be a nice pick for Gideon.

Not so sure about hyperspace games by comparison.

Obviously your choices become much more restrictive - you can only field named pilots - no generics - and most of your elite talent options go away.

I'd consider taking the trinity of Howlrunner, Scourge and Mauler, because three I5 pilots with surprisingly good punch for TIE fighters isn't a bad place to start. Not sure where to save the points, though.

In hyperspace you don’t have access to the academy pilot. This is my current hyperspace version:

New Squadron

(44) "Howlrunner" [TIE/ln Fighter]

(30) "Scourge" Skutu [TIE/ln Fighter]

(40) Iden Versio [TIE/ln Fighter]

(29) Gideon Hask [TIE/ln Fighter]

(29) Del Meeko [TIE/ln Fighter]

(28) "Wampa" [TIE/ln Fighter]

Total points: 200

You could take howl, Mauler and scourge but to do it you have to drop Wampa down to night beast. In my opinion it feels bad losing the blocking potential of the i1.

IMO this list will always be viable when flown by a good player.

9 hours ago, battlestarbill said:

In hyperspace you don’t have access to the academy pilot. This is my current hyperspace version:

New Squadron

This in hyperspace has the tools to be top tier imo, alot of the things that scare it are banned and the points don't count quite as nicely for most other lists.

When compared to 25 point TIE/fo and Scyks and Torrents....

Idk... I just feel the TIE/ln is expensive at 22 points....

1 hour ago, JBFancourt said:

When compared to 25 point TIE/fo and Scyks and Torrents....

Idk... I just feel the TIE/ln is expensive at 22 points....

Torrent I think is fine, due to the significant dial limitations, but /fo and Scyk... maybe they ought to be 26 points...

14 hours ago, battlestarbill said:

New Squadron

Why 'Scourge' and not 'Mauler', out of curiousity? With a swarm flying with two range 1 'choke chains' on Howlrunner and Iden making you move as a block, I'd have thought range 1 more likely to get than bullseye.

I fly it with Howlrunner carrying Swarm Tactics, whole Inferno where Seyn has Marksmanship and an Academy Pilot. I think it has a small bid, but not much.

I really like the Hyperspace version. My only real problem with this Howlrunner list is the fact, you have to fly in a block. Anything that gets behind you gets free shots at your booty.

8 hours ago, Magnus Grendel said:

Why 'Scourge' and not 'Mauler', out of curiousity? With a swarm flying with two range 1 'choke chains' on Howlrunner and Iden making you move as a block, I'd have thought range 1 more likely to get than bullseye.

For the same cost, I'd also take Mauler over Scourge every time.

He's just easier to trigger. I barely ever trigger Scourge at any range other than 1 anyway, so you may as well guarantee it.

Why not take Lyttan Dree for 7 points cheaper than Howl? Is it because It takes less thought to trigger Howl than Lyttan?

11 hours ago, Magnus Grendel said:

More just preference really. I’ve not had success with mauler. The range One of mauler is great but I like the potential for having the 3rd die at range 2-3. That and people will sometimes spend actions to deny that 3rd die but in return not have mods.

11 hours ago, Magnus Grendel said:

I run it because that TIE is likely to be in the back of the block, so less likely to get early triggers if its Mauler.

I played the swarm twice now and it was fun. I love thematic lists. I tried the list I posted above but put swarm tactics on del instead of Iden.

I haven’t played a lot of swarms since I started with X-Wings so I am fairly new to this archetype. This is why I did one horrible mistake in my first game and ended up with no shot in the first engagement.
The second game went better by nearly tabling my opponent.

I will definitely put more time into the list to see if it’s still viable. Yet I still don’t know if I should use Seyn or Del. I think Del triggered once in both games. What do you think? (I‘m playing extended only because there are no HS tournament on the horizon)

I would say del over seyn for this list. If your flying extended I could see the marksmanship seyn combo, but the defensive re roll for the whole squad is to good to give up in my opinion