Triple-Tris?

By player655164, in X-Wing Squad Lists

I've been struggling to figure out tri-fighters. I'm currently waiting for my third Tri-Fighter to arrive tomorrow. The way I see it, they really don't have much of an advantage over other cheaper 3-3-3 ships (e.g., Tie/In). Their dial is very good, especially with their linked actions. But 3-3-3's are still liable to pop or strike out on their hits. So to take full advantage, I think you need to do as much as possible to support them.

The plan is to fly them in V-formation so that at least one can take advantage of Captair Sear's ability.

Hopefully they should be entering their first engagement with 2 calcs per ship. Hopefully the first ship is able to land a thread tracer and give his buddies locks, and if attacking a Fearful Prey this has the double advantage of giving a strain.

The elusive talent is the most iffy part of this list I realize. They don't have the greatest need for red maneuvers, especially since you want to remain unstressed in order to take full advantage of their linked actions. It's mainly there because I think it's really important to make sure they don't whiff it on their defense rolls. Even if it gets an eye, since you should have plenty of calcs this should help immensely.

Thoughts? Improvements?

Fearsome Predator (38)
Elusive (3)
Fire-Control System (2)
XX-23 S-Thread Tracers (2)

Ship total: 45 Half Points: 23 Threshold: 2

Fearsome Predator (38)
Elusive (3)
Fire-Control System (2)
XX-23 S-Thread Tracers (2)

Ship total: 45 Half Points: 23 Threshold: 2

Fearsome Predator (38)
Elusive (3)
Fire-Control System (2)

Ship total: 43 Half Points: 22 Threshold: 2

Captain Sear (45)
Kraken (11)
Impervium Plating (4)
Soulless One (6)

Ship total: 66 Half Points: 33 Threshold: 4

Total: 199

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0: https://raithos.github.io/?f=Separatist Alliance&d=v8ZsZ200Z420X119W113W332WWY420X119W113W332WWY420X119W113WWWY308X222W207W229&sn=Unnamed Squadron&obs=

I think the overall problem with the Tri's is that they're 4 points more than the Tie intceptor their closest counterpart, but the interceptor is just better, it's linked actions with boost/barrel is amazing to be an arc dodger getting about its weaker hull

The tri doesn't have this, not to say its a bad ship, just needs to be cheaper to be more of a swarm ship,

I'd say about 28-30 points would be perfect for the I1

I understand why they did it, the sear swarm was deadly so giving the seps access to an even better swarm ship is risky, but reducing them to about 28 only let's you have a 5 ship swarm with sear

Other wise I like your list 😄

5 hours ago, Watcher42 said:

I think the overall problem with the Tri's is that they're 4 points more than the Tie intceptor their closest counterpart, but the interceptor is just better, it's linked actions with boost/barrel is amazing to be an arc dodger getting about its weaker hull

The tri doesn't have this, not to say its a bad ship, just needs to be cheaper to be more of a swarm ship,

I understand why they did it, the sear swarm was deadly so giving the seps access to an even better swarm ship is risky, but reducing them to about 28 only let's you have a 5 ship swarm with sear

Yup. I agree. I just flat out don't understand why they priced the tri-fighters this expensive while giving the republic the Etas so cheap... the only real advantage is Network calculations, so I figured you have to find some way to make that work for you and this has been the only way I've been able to see that work.

18 hours ago, Watcher42 said:

But if you do that you have trifighters only 1 point more expensive than say... V-wings, and the same cost as A-wings, but in the end you have to pay for that 3rd red dice somehow.

Maybe the same price as the interceptors would be more fair. They have worse actions, but networked calculations and a more unusual and unpredictable dial.

7 hours ago, xanatos135 said:

But if you do that you have trifighters only 1 point more expensive than say... V-wings, and the same cost as A-wings, but in the end you have to pay for that 3rd red dice somehow.

Maybe the same price as the interceptors would be more fair. They have worse actions, but networked calculations and a more unusual and unpredictable dial.

Right? Suggesting 30 points for a 3 dice ship with the ability to have passive mods is hilarious.

tri figthers have to leverage on network calc...... interceprors aren't better only different.

with interceprors ,if you are in doubt,you have allways to save your focus for defence, tris can use their calculate more easely also in attack thanks to network calc.

27 minutes ago, Manolox said:

tri fighters have to leverage on network calc...... interceptors aren't better only different.

This is it. They aren't worse than the TIE Interceptors. Lacking Autothrusters hampers it, but Networked Calculations and extra blue hards are strong. The problem lies in the pricing:

Int Tri
i1 31 35
i3 37
i3 - named 38
i4 35
i4 - named 42 40
i5 - named 41
i6 - named 54

My guess is that the higher prices were a kneejerk reaction to the Nantex being priced too low in the last season. The higher initiatives for the Trifighter seem right, but that helps make the lower initiatives look even sillier. The i1 Tri should move to 1 point higher than the i1 Int just in case networking on them is stronger than we think. By the same token, make the i3 Tri the same cost as the i4 Int. And while we are at it, lower the cost of i4 Turr Phennir to match the i4 DIS-T81. Turr needs love.

3 hours ago, 5050Saint said:

This is it. They aren't worse than the TIE Interceptors. Lacking Autothrusters hampers it, but Networked Calculations and extra blue hards are strong. The problem lies in the pricing:

Int Tri
i1 31 35
i3 37
i3 - named 38
i4 35
i4 - named 42 40
i5 - named 41
i6 - named 54

My guess is that the higher prices were a kneejerk reaction to the Nantex being priced too low in the last season. The higher initiatives for the Trifighter seem right, but that helps make the lower initiatives look even sillier. The i1 Tri should move to 1 point higher than the i1 Int just in case networking on them is stronger than we think. By the same token, make the i3 Tri the same cost as the i4 Int. And while we are at it, lower the cost of i4 Turr Phennir to match the i4 DIS-T81. Turr needs love.

Yeah, the prices still strike me as just a bit too high. I think I am also salty since I think the newly released Republic stuff is too cheap....

The way I see it you need to find some use for the Networked calc. I think this advantage needs to be compounded by having multiple calculate tokens and reroll abilities, hence the elusive and Kraken. I could foresee independent calculations being useful, but at 4 points it seems to expensive at the moment. I would rather spend 11 points on Kraken which has a range restriction but doesn't stress than 12 on Ind.Calc.

Edited by player655164

At the end if the day I think it comes down to the fact that green dice follow the laws of sod, they will fail at the worst time, and although calculate tokens maybe numerous for the tri it doesn't protect from blank results. Interceptors are better because of their ability to adapt to those situations, letting them boost and barrel roll out of tight spots, but tri's are generally stuck to the path you set them and no matter how good the player, you will be caught off guard or have too many arcs to dodge and you will get hit by that faital shot.

23 minutes ago, player655164 said:

I could foresee independent calculations being useful, but at 4 points it seems to expensive at the moment.

4 points is definitely too much. You lose one of the best ship abilities in the game to essentially gain calculate linked into red calculate. It's worth 1 point on the Tri-fighter and 0 points on the Vultures and Hyenas.