Poetrey

By Ryuneke, in X-Wing Squad Lists

I'm tinkering around with a Poe+Rey list lately since Poe can equip Overdrive Thrusters.

This is what I came up with first

Rey (68)
Rose Tico (9)
Korr Sella (6)
Finn (9)
False Transponder Codes (2)
Shield Upgrade (4)
Rey’s Millennium Falcon (2)

Poe Dameron (62)
Outmaneuver (6)
R4 Astromech (2)
Ferrosphere Paint (4)
Overdrive Thruster (8)
Integrated S-Foils (0)
Proton Torpedoes (12)
Total: 194

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0

Rey is pretty standard. I swapped False Transponder Codes in for Contraband. I think it is a really strong offensive and defensive upgrade for Rey.

Loading out Poe is where I struggle. I didn't gave him the title (it's 5 points now and you have Overdrive Thrusters instead). Outmaneuver + Proton Torps let you fly around with his wings closed while being a huge threat that can't be ignored.

Now here are some questions:

- I found Ferrosphere Paint quite useful for 4 points. But yeah, you will face lists where it won't do anything. What do you think about it?
- R4 looks like a staple but I think R2-D2 is something to consider as well. Regen 2 shields is powerful while still being able to attack.
- Is the title worth it because of Overdrive?

Thanks!

The only thing I may be tempted to change on Rey would be the shield upgrade for a stealth device - I think it pays for itself more often than the shield upgrade, but both are good options. Transponder Codes is also an interesting one as you have to use the first time lock/are locked, whereas cybernetics can be saved for when it's super important. It's an interesting trade off, but I think codes might be the right choice.

For Poe

-In this list, I think Ferrosphere Paint is worth it although like you say, in some games it does nothing. But against the other choices for the tech slot, it's the best one I feel for a two ship list.

- I think R4 is the stronger choice as it gets more use and makes Poe a little less predictable (also saves what, 6 points?). There'll be times you wish you had R2, but I think you'd rather have R4 more.

- The title going up 3 points makes it a choice now rather than an auto-include (which is good). I've dropped it to maintain a bid and haven't really missed it yet. For Poe, it's only really useful as a one time Get Out of Jail free card and I think for the majority of games, you're better off without it.

- Outmaneuver Is something I'd consider dropping for Backwards Tailslide. With the Overdrive Thruster the opportunity to clear obstacles is much larger and you'll have focus/lock and an evade after doing it, generally in an unexpected position. It's a personal preference, and both are good, but maybe worth considering?

I to like the change to Tansponder codes and also like thread tracers as an option to trigger it after the engage with Highten perception. My list has more ships so it works well but still liking the FTCodes over Contraband(also just realized Rose would trigger it to). I would often never use the contraband anyway. I like alot of what Elbastido has suggested but do feel that a good Blackone title to be important in a pinch, especially with a 2 ship list . I will confess that the new overdrive thrusters may offset its need. I know i would point a lot of my ships at Poe in your list because at the end of the day he is just 7 S/h . I often catch him while Rey hammers me but then it is just Rey and I usually can get her after Poe goes down. Looks very solid and looks like you have several ways to spice it up for your own taste.

15 minutes ago, cholcomb5170 said:

I to like the change to Tansponder codes and also like thread tracers as an option to trigger it after the engage with Highten perception.

With Finn/Rose you shouldn’t waste any round of attacks on a missile that doesn’t do damage. You have to make every round count with Rey, especially on a two-ship build When you’re having to trade her for half your opponent’s list.

9 hours ago, j_man_04 said:

With Finn/Rose you shouldn’t waste any round of attacks on a missile that doesn’t do damage. You have to make every round count with Rey, especially on a two-ship build When you’re having to trade her for half your opponent’s list.

Absolute agreement.

I have tried using Thread Tracers now, and so I can say with some confidence that I don’t think they’re really worth it unless you have some reason why you really want locks. B-Wings with the double-attack option on their S-Foils, ships that want to use ordnance... stuff like that. And when you DO use them, you probably want your Thread Tracers setup man to be a ship which has an otherwise-unimpressive attack; A-Wings, M3-A’s, Z-95’s... those are the sort of Thread Tracer carriers you want. Rey and Poe are both powerful 3-red attacks with lots of available mods, and they shouldn’t be wasting shots to gain a lock for (maybe) two ships.

Even if that means you’re never gonna use your Proton Torps, I think that just means you ought to drop the Torps for a different weapon, or find another way to spend those points. Black One and a bid seems a good start?

I’m excited for some batreps on this. I think it is inherently more brawly which in my mine equals more fun.

I’ve said it for a while.... and in this situation/list I may be wrong, but if Poe and Nien were the same price I’d still take Nien.

Actually.... they basically are as Nien with PA is 60.

Edited by JBFancourt