Entry into Second Edition

By saltygreg, in X-Wing Battle Reports

Note: I also posted this in the BoardGameGeek forum for this game, but in hindsight it looks like this may be a more active community for this game? Sorry if you see this in both places :(

Hi all, apologies if this is the type of thread thats gets spun up over and over again. I really did try to self research (spent about 1-2 hours), and while I did find a lot of useful information, I was still left unsure as to what I need or should do as an entry into the Second Edition version of this game.

I have history with first edition. That said, I was always a casual player with a relatively small collection when compared to some. I'm reaching out to this community with hopes that all of you can help me make the right decision here to step back into the X-wing world; but with the new (and I assume improved) second edition rulesets.

What I currently own (all first edition):

1x X-Wing Miniatures Game Core Set
1x X-Wing Miniatures Game, The Force Awakens Core Set
1x Y-Wing Expansion Pack
1x Millennium Falcon Expansion Pack
1x TIE Advanced Expansion Pack
1x Slave 1 Expansion Pack
1x Most Wanted Expansion Pack
1x Protectorate Starfighter Expansion Pack

Or...to put it another way, I have the following models/miniatures:

1x X-Wing (Rebel)
1x T-70 X-Wing (Resistance)
2x Y-Wing (Rebel/Scum & Villainy)
1x YT-1300 (Rebel)
2x TIE Fighters (Galactic Empire)
2x TIE/fo Fighters (First Order)
1x TIE Advanced (Galactic Empire)
1x Firespray-31 (Galactic Empire/Scum & Villiany)
2x Z-95 Headhunter (Scum & Villiany)
1x Protectorate Starfighter (Scum & Villiany)

So again, with all of that breakdown, what I'm looking for is advice on what I should buy. I assume another Core Set (but for Second Edition) is pretty much required, but following that should I invest in the conversion kits? Or is my money better spent in some other way?

Thanks in advance for any help this community can provide.