Battle Move Question

By pacodub, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

This moves allows me to make 2 shots... now I have 2 questinos...

I have line of sight and attack... if i kill it... can I then attack another creature that I have line a sight of?

Or MUST I spend both attacks on the same declared creature?

pacodub said:

This moves allows me to make 2 shots... now I have 2 questinos...

I have line of sight and attack... if i kill it... can I then attack another creature that I have line a sight of?

Or MUST I spend both attacks on the same declared creature?

Battle allows you to make two attacks that turn. There is no restriction that they must be the same figure.

In fact if you want to spend fatigue or have another way to receive movement points you can move before, between or after the attacks.

OMG? This makes the players gain a HUGE advantage over the OL.... Are u sure this is an official rule? I didn't read it anywhere that players can still use fatigue to move when they chose the Battle action.

Wanderer999 said:

OMG? This makes the players gain a HUGE advantage over the OL.... Are u sure this is an official rule? I didn't read it anywhere that players can still use fatigue to move when they chose the Battle action.

You almost certainly did since it is quite explicitly there in the section about spending fatigue to gain movement, but didn't think about what you read. You certainly did not read anywhere that they may not move if they battle - that is a common but utterly false assumption.

DJitD pg18
Spending Fatigue for Movement
At any time during a hero’s turn *, he may spend one fatigue to gain one movement point, even if he is currently taking the battle action. This may be done as often as the hero desires. Movement points gained in this manner are spent just like normal movement points.

*Actually during the heroes acti on since elsewhere in the rules it states that you may not do anything other thatn step 1 and step 2 before declaring your action.

and
DJitD pg9
A figure may make attacks at any point during its movement. For example, a figure with a speed of 4 may move 2 spaces, attack, and then move another 2 spaces
Which translates into a hero being able to move before, between, or after making any attacks he is entitled (note that 'additional' attacks which are 'immediate' (eg Cleaving) must happen without intermediate movement).

Try this thread (my reply #2, which is not the most directly applicable explanation but the easiest that came up under search) for an explanation that might help you understand better.

Corbon said:

DJitD pg9
A figure may make attacks at any point during its movement. For example, a figure with a speed of 4 may move 2 spaces, attack, and then move another 2 spaces
Which translates into a hero being able to move before, between, or after making any attacks he is entitled (note that 'additional' attacks which are 'immediate' (eg Cleaving) must happen without intermediate movement).

I knew I read this, but I had thought it meant the Advance action, which allows a player to move and attack anywhere in between in any order. But battle!! I'm gonna get my games handed to me by my adventurers when I tell them this rule...

I think you're being a little too hard on Wanderer here. The base JitD rules are actually very explicit:

Battle
A hero that battles may make up to 2 attacks during his turn, but cannot move

It does not say "receives no movement points"; it says "cannot move". The fatigue section says that the hero can spend fatigue for movement points, which work just like normal movement points, but that doesn't remove the restriction that a battling hero "cannot move". Presumably, this would mean that a battling hero could still spend fatigue in order to perform movement actions, such as opening a door or drinking a potion.

I've searched the FAQ and the various rulebooks in the past looking for something that would legitimize moving while taking a battle action, and I was never able to find anything. However, I finally did stumble upon one item, from an article written by the game designer back in 2008. It's called "Advice for Heroes" and can be found here: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=26

The article has 10 suggestions for hero players. Here's #2:

Rule 2: Take advantage of your skills and your fatigue. Keep your fatigue refilled; use a rest order if you're in the clear and low on fatigue. Save vitality potions for emergencies. Remember that fatigue will let you move while battling. Don't forget your skills in the heat of the moment.

The JitD rules are explicit but are in error. Battling heroes can spend fatigue to move.

mahkra said:

I think you're being a little too hard on Wanderer here. The base JitD rules are actually very explicit:

Battle
A hero that battles may make up to 2 attacks during his turn, but cannot move

It does not say "receives no movement points"; it says "cannot move". The fatigue section says that the hero can spend fatigue for movement points, which work just like normal movement points, but that doesn't remove the restriction that a battling hero "cannot move". Presumably, this would mean that a battling hero could still spend fatigue in order to perform movement actions, such as opening a door or drinking a potion.

I've searched the FAQ and the various rulebooks in the past looking for something that would legitimize moving while taking a battle action, and I was never able to find anything. However, I finally did stumble upon one item, from an article written by the game designer back in 2008. It's called "Advice for Heroes" and can be found here: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=26

The article has 10 suggestions for hero players. Here's #2:

Rule 2: Take advantage of your skills and your fatigue. Keep your fatigue refilled; use a rest order if you're in the clear and low on fatigue. Save vitality potions for emergencies. Remember that fatigue will let you move while battling. Don't forget your skills in the heat of the moment.

The JitD rules are explicit but are in error. Battling heroes can spend fatigue to move.

Fair enough, my apologies. I am so used to the actual action descriptions being wrong I forgot to check them.
You do appear to have missed the original rule that I quoted though. It is quite explicit that fatigue can be used to gain movement points even during a battle action, though to be fair, technically a MP may be used for movement actions rather than moving.

I didn't miss that rule. I just thought that if movement was disallowed then the MP's must be spent on movement actions. Which I actually did mention above... lengua.gif

mahkra said:

I didn't miss that rule. I just thought that if movement was disallowed then the MP's must be spent on movement actions. Which I actually did mention above... lengua.gif

Bah! not my best night... sonrojado.gif

Well as long as we all agree fatigue can be used during a Battle action, I won't debate where the ruling comes from. =P

Wanderer: This isn't as huge an advantage as you think it is. It grants a battling hero a little mobility, but it also slows him down not getting his base Move. And you can still throw pit traps under his feet to mess him up. I think you'll find that stings even more when the hero was relying solely on fatigue to get his planned action done.

Actually I felt this was a massive advantage BEFORE i found out about the monster spawning + activating on same turn.

AFTER finding that out, I think I wouldn't even mind them walking their full speed and still do Battle action!

demonio.gif demonio.gif demonio.gif demonio.gif demonio.gif

For the record, the battle description in the PDF differs from my printed rulebook, which has replaced the part saying the hero "cannot move" with one saying he receives no movement points.

The complementary description for the Run action still says the hero cannot attack, despite the exception cases (e.g. Steelhorns). But I don't think anyone is going to argue that the Run description is supposed to make Steelhorns' ability completely worthless, so I think we can presume that's in error, too.

Antistone said:

For the record, the battle description in the PDF differs from my printed rulebook, which has replaced the part saying the hero "cannot move" with one saying he receives no movement points.

The complementary description for the Run action still says the hero cannot attack, despite the exception cases (e.g. Steelhorns). But I don't think anyone is going to argue that the Run description is supposed to make Steelhorns' ability completely worthless, so I think we can presume that's in error, too.

Looks like my info was out-of-date; I'm glad that "cannot move" text has been updated. If the pdf had had the same wording, it would've saved me quite a headache however many months ago...

As for the Run description, I'm not sure it matters, as there's no normal way to purchase an attack with fatigue (or with anything else). Skills and hero abilities alter the 'normal' rules of the game, so Steelhorns isn't an issue. (I don't remember if this is ever explicitly stated in the rules, but isn't that the whole point of a special ability in any game?) I suppose if there were special quest rules that allowed heroes to purchase an(other) attack, then it would be an issue, but I cannot recall that ever happening.

There's not much question of intent with abilities that give you attacks specifically on a Run action. But when an ability gives you an extra attack and doesn't specifically mention actions, it could be argued that the "cannot attack" text on the Run action overrides the ability (due to being more specific), and that you only get the extra attack on other actions. For example, with the Hurry feat card, or maybe One Fist's ability.