B2 opinion question.

By ozmodon, in Army Building

What heavy do you like on the B2's and why?

B2-HA. The extended ranged, blast, and impact two gives it so much versatility for the cost of exhaust with cycle. With proper order control, exhaust doesn't become an issue, because recover -> fire is a valid tactic. I have never used the ACM because I have never found it to be worth while.

I like the HA as well. I will try the ACM eventually once we have the tac droids and I try out a B2 list. But in any list with just one or two units the HA is a better choice

Personally I love the ACM, it's essentially like a super B2 I find it helps keep the B2s focused on their purpose. The HA is great too and provides the unit with longer ranged firepower and light anti armour, but I find that the 3 red dice is just nasty and makes the B2s a brutally efficient close range squad. Another nice thing is that by keeping your weapons at range 2 means you prevent AI: Attack from procing so you can focus on dodging and moving closer until all your weapons are in range.

If we're talking vanilla B2 squads, I'd say it's going to depend on what the rest of your list looks like. Assuming you're running the B2s as your filler end-of-coordinate-chain unit (they really like the faceup for Aggressive Tactics, not just for getting rid of AI: Attack), I'd prefer the ACM if you're looking for a single linebacker unit to support your commander or operative. ACM has an amazing dice pool at range-2, and the odd turn where you don't have a faceup token isn't as punishing because of the the range limitation both weapons. HA is okay, there are cheaper sources of Impact with comparable range (B1 rocket heavy, Saber Throw on Maul or Dooku), and Blast is okay on three dice against non-armor stuff. AI becomes something you really need to work around though if you take it. Off-topic, but I think as far as end-of-coordinate-chain units go, BX sniper strikes are probably superior to B2s just because of their range and the price you're paying for the activation. Both BX strikes and B2s want a faceup order, so they don't mix super well.

I think the HA is much better if you're filling the squad's personnel slot with a Tac droid upgrade. Range-3 shots for 3 red and 1 white with blast every other turn (or every turn with recover) and no worrying about AI means you can actually take an aim sometimes, and you don't need a faceup for the AT surge because Reliable 1 gives them one anyway. This leaves the end of the coordinate chain open for something else that really wants it, like BX strikes or the sith probe droids.

Edited by Han Singular

I just haven't been real impressed with droid snipers, so was looking for a unit to support Dooku.

for me I would take the ACM if im going to take more than 2 B2's, if im only taking 1 or 2 then i'd take the HA, with the extra range the HA needs an Order or it is just going to be firing the heavy at targets and it is hard to get Orders to more than 2 B2's in each turn, also depends on if i have any other units that need the final order from the chain like BX's

On 12/7/2020 at 8:03 AM, ozmodon said:

I just haven't been real impressed with droid snipers, so was looking for a unit to support Dooku.

yeah the BX Snipers not having High Velocity makes a huge difference I find, not to mention having to consume an aim token just to get pierce. Oh and AI Dodge/move just to really rub it in.

Then I look at the ARC Snipers and they get tactical 1 and Critical 1, no AI. The difference is .....vast, even for 8 points more now.

As for the original question I much prefer the ACM, cheaper and packs a real punch, if your going to spend 90 or so points on a unit go all in for getting to range 2 and hope to dump 11 dice into something if you get a shot off without losing a guy first.

I don't like the thought of spending 90+ points to sit at range 3 to roll RRW (even with blast) getting an underwhelming damage output of 1.75 damage on average, not to mention throwing cycle into the mix.

certainly makes STAPS and their 6 black dice with Crit 2 look mighty tempting at 73 points

Edited by Mace Windu