Do you have RRG 1.5 or updated card questions? Post here.

By Karneck, in Star Wars: Armada Rules Questions

1 hour ago, bkcammack said:

How reliant seps are on commanding squads is why it exists, and why it’s written the way it is. AI squads are under costed a little when commanded and over costed a bit when they aren’t. Hyperwave signal boost is, to me, a one time pass on having to command squadrons. Pay three points and you still get your full attack value. The downside is that they can’t move and attack. You also get to activate more squads than normal in one turn of the squadron phase. 3 points for some extra squad phase activations plus the “extra” AI dice is pretty cheap.

Adding a black die into a long range shot (and that’s what this card will do most of the time) is extremely powerful. A confire dial lets you add a second black. That’s Commander Sato levels of black dice at long range, without needing a squadron nearby. The downside of that extra long range dice is that ALL adjacent attacks, including against squads, lose power. Otherwise you run into balance issues.

I dunno about that being all that useful for the seps. Droids are penalized severely for not being commanded which means they can almost never be left to the squadron phase once a furball has started. That means one or more ships has to constantly use a squadron dial (and not a token as it would only command one squad from a class that is heavily reliant on swarms of them). This really limits the command dial options of that ship (or often ships). I pictured hyperwave as way for a sep ship to command squads routinely without having to be almost exclusively married to squadron dials to say nothing of the fact that it will often have to be more than one ship married to their squadron dials if you want to bring serious swarms of fighters.

I sort of pictured swivel mount batteries as turrets that normally point elsewhere but have been modified to turn to a non-ideal angle to add firepower to a single side which is why you get only one die worth of bonus (abtsracting the idea that because neither turret fires as efficiently in this direction you only get the net benefit of one full turret). Thematically, I don't picture this interacting with your anti-squadron armament at all because that's a totally different (and likely less powered) form of armament that is effectively omni-directional.

4 hours ago, Garrett17 said:

For the new clone wars cards:

Hypwerwave Signal Boost - so as read (and interpreted by CGYSO) it appears as though this card's only benefit is to let you activate squadrons up to your squadron value rather than only 2 in the squadron phase with the the AI part only working when you make an attack. But since that doesn't kick in unless you attack something and squadrons in the squadron phase can't move and attack that seems to imply the AI boost only works if you are attacking only. Given how reliant on squadron commanding the separatists are does this strike anyone else here as a misprint and that really squadrons activated by this card should get the full benefits of being commanded (move and/or attack)?

Swivel-Mount Batteries - the text on the card says to subtract one dice from adjacent arcs when attacking but since it doesn't specify ships it seems to suggest squadron attacks suffer as well (as interpreted by CGYSO) which strikes me as silly but that's what's said on the card. I'd be willing to bet this should read "when attacking a ship from an adjacent arc..."

Thoughts? What do people think the designer intent was with these cards? Would anyone happen to know?

Please keep clone wars related questions in the appropriate clone wars questions topic. This is to help keep some topics focused on certain questions and more easily searched.

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/312510-do-you-have-clone-wars-questions-post-here/

You can find your answers for HSB in the clone wars topic.

I'll answer your questions in that topic.

Questions to interaction with the new evade rule:

1) Mon Mothma at medium range and Iden Versio at close range: Their effects are in addition to the reroll granted?

2) Foresight: Does it add up with Mon Mothma at medium range? So it cancels 2 dice and rerolls another?

3) If I discard the evade token, does it add up with all of the above? (Edit: defender being smaller than attacker)

I assume yes to all 3 questions but I‘m not sure.

Edited by KaLeu
41 minutes ago, KaLeu said:

1) Mon Mothma at medium range and Iden Versio at close range: Their effects are in addition to the reroll granted?

2) Foresight: Does it add up with Mon Mothma at medium range? So it cancels 2 dice and rerolls another?

3) If I discard the evade token, does it add up with all of the above? (Edit: defender being smaller than attacker)

1) No. You can find that explicitly in the FAQ: "Mon Mothma’s ability provides an alternative way to spend (evade) defense tokens at medium range; an (evade) defense token spent in this way does not also produce its normal effect."

The same would apply to Iden as it's worded the same as Mothma.

2) With Mothma it can cancel 2 dice at medium range, but no reroll because of the stated before.

3) If you use the discard effect given the conditions, with Mothma you would cancel 2 dice at medium range or reroll 3 dice at close range. If you add Foresight to that, you can cancel 3 dice at medium range and reroll 4 dice at close.

5 hours ago, KaLeu said:

Some of these questions have been addressed in this topic, so if you'd like to dig deeper, please review this topic.
Thanks to Lemmiwink for assisting, just for redundancy, I will answer as well.

1. They are not "in addition" per Mon Mothmas FAQ. They are an "alternative" way. So either use the standard effect, or the card effect. Not both.
Example, Iden would either cancel a die, or reroll a die at close range. Not both. ( Or if you discard the evade against a larger ship at close range, cancel 2 die, or reroll 2 die. Not both)

2. Foresight does affect an additional die in conjunction with Mon Mothma. So for example, at medium range, you can choose to reroll OR cancel 1 die with MM, and another 1 with Foresight for a total of 2.
If you discard the evade against a larger ship, you would be able to cancel 3 die, or reroll 3 die at medium range. Not both.

If at close range, and you discard the evade token (against a larger ship), that is 2 dice + MM 1 + Foresight 1 to reroll a total of 4 dice.

3. Yup any additional questions, please ask.

Edited by Karneck

Could you elaborate more on the new evade rule? Specific question: My small ship uses Evade on medium range against a larger ship. This means I can re-roll one die. Now I decide to discard the token. Does that mean that I can re-roll another die or cancel another die? I do not understand the wording in the rules reference if I just can expand the existing effect to another die (this would be a re-roll ad mid range) or can chose to cancel independent from range.

1 minute ago, Beginner2Winner said:

Could you elaborate more on the new evade rule? Specific question: My small ship uses Evade on medium range against a larger ship. This means I can re-roll one die. Now I decide to discard the token. Does that mean that I can re-roll another die or cancel another die? I do not understand the wording in the rules reference if I just can expand the existing effect to another die (this would be a re-roll ad mid range) or can chose to cancel independent from range.

It's medium range, so you'd get to reroll 2 dice if you discard the token.

If you had Mothma, you could cancel 2 dice.

At extreme range, you could cancel 3 dice.

GK has it, pretty much Evade is still the same (barring upgrade card effects), when you "spend" an evade token you get a reroll at close and medium range. Cancel a die at long range, cancel 2 die at extreme range.

If you "spend" and then choose to also "discard" (Regardless if it is readied or exhausted) you get to choose an additional die.
So 2 rerolls at close and medium range, cancel 2 die at long range, and cancel 3 die at extreme range.