[Ruling] Stoke Insurrection

By Goateh, in L5R LCG: Rules Discussion

These are about Stoke Insurrection.

I have two questions about this:
For the first, did you intend for the reveal to be part of the cost? This is different from Ujiaki, and has some interesting impacts on the functionality of the card, mainly:
a) You cannot play this card if your opponent has no facedown cards.
b) You cannot play this card if your opponent has no faceup characters (as there are no eligible targets at the time you need to pay costs).

I expect that (b) is undesired, since the cost reduction would be almost impossible to meet if this was the case. This can be remedied by putting everything after "During a conflict" after the dash, which would make the wording functionally identical to Ujiaki. This is due to the following in the RRG, which prevents you from initiating an ability if there are no eligible targets, regardless of whether the targets are chosen before or after the dash: (new wording would be something like "Action: During a conflict - reveal each facedown card in your opponent's provinces. Then, choose up to 2 characters in their provinces and put those characters into play in the conflict under your control")
(In a similar vein, I think the errata to Spectral Visitation was insufficient to allow you to trigger it without having any characters in the discard, and that the discard also needs to be moved to after the dash)

For the second question, how is this card supposed to interact with Rally cards? If a Rally card is revealed, does a new card get placed in the province before or after you choose characters to put into play? If we go with the new wording, I would expect that Rally does not trigger between reveal & picking of characters (since reveal & choosing characters would be simultaneous).

Your points are valid, and it sounds like Stoke Insurrection will need templating errata to match Ikoma Ujiaki’s templating. Note that it would retain the sequencing “then,” which would mean that revealing a rally card in your opponent’s provinces would give you an additional potential character to put into play, as the rally keyword would occur immediately after revealing the cards but before the characters are chosen.

[Tyler Parrott, Sep 2 2020]