Long term game, full talent sheet?

By the mercenary, in Rules Questions

(Tried doing a search, no luck. Maybe I searched the wrong terms, IDK)

I tend to run long campaigns (unless something happens to end it prematurely), and we’re starting a new campaign Sunday. In Star Wars, when you get all your specs talents bought, you’ve got Signature Abilities yet and then you can just buy a new spec (repeat as needed) or become Force sensitive.

What do you do with a long term Genesys game if the Force, magic, and psionics or other abilities like them don’t exist? Purely mundane setting.

Also, and unrelated, I rather liked a lot of the Signature Abilities. Has anyone made something similar for Genesys?

Thanks in advance.

I'm not quite sure what you're asking. Are you asking how to keep progressing your character after you fill the talent pyramid?

29 minutes ago, Swordbreaker said:

I'm not quite sure what you're asking. Are you asking how to keep progressing your character after you fill the talent pyramid?

Basically, yes. How do other GM’s handle character with, say, 600+ XP, since the pyramid only requires 315 to fill, and I don’t recall anything in the book about getting a new spec and starting a whole new pyramid.

2 hours ago, the mercenary said:

Basically, yes. How do other GM’s handle character with, say, 600+ XP, since the pyramid only requires 315 to fill, and I don’t recall anything in the book about getting a new spec and starting a whole new pyramid.

325 XP by my count, but I'm surprised how low that is and also interested in how others handle this. I'm not sure if the EPG mentions this? But, with Genesys as written, the only rule regarding purchasing talents is you must have more of a lower tier then a higher tier. The pyramid is thus just a sheet that helps you organize that. I don't think it was ever intended to set limits. There's nothing in the rules that says "You can't have more then seven Tier 1 talents", or "you can't purchase more talents then can fit on the provided talent pyramid sheet". So, I would probably just simply create a larger pyramid, or completely replace it with a line by line sheet for recording talents and tiers, making sure you don't exceed the rule of more lower tiers. I suppose you could just print out another page of the pyramid and expand into it.

Edited by Sturn
1 hour ago, Sturn said:

325 XP by my count, but I'm surprised how low that is and also interested in how others handle this. I'm not sure if the EPG mentions this? But, with Genesys as written, the only rule regarding purchasing talents is you must have more of a lower tier then a higher tier. The pyramid is thus just a sheet that helps you organize that. I don't think it was ever intended to set limits. There's nothing in the rules that says "You can't have more then seven Tier 1 talents", or "you can't purchase more talents then can fit on the provided talent pyramid sheet". So, I would probably just simply create a larger pyramid, or completely replace it with a line by line sheet for recording talents and tiers, making sure you don't exceed the rule of more lower tiers. I suppose you could just print out another page of the pyramid and expand into it.

Yep, math error. I can do trig and geometry in my head but I can’t do multiplication and addition with a pieces of paper apparently. Thanks for pointing that out.

You’re thinking the same thing I was wrt the pyramid. I’m going to have to look at my books when I get home and see if there’s anything that I overlooked.

Sturn is correct. The pyramid sheet is only as big as it is because of page space. The only limit is how many talents exist in your game, which can be unlimited if you have the imagination to create unlimited talents.

6 hours ago, the mercenary said:

We played a year-long campaign that clocked in at 625 XP earned. I completed the full pyramid, and then had another column of Talents from Tier 1 up to Tier 5, plus an additional Tier 1 and 2 Talent beyond those. You can keep adding 5-high columns of Talents. If there are not enough Tier 4 or 5 Talents of interest for your players, consider what sorts of "super-powers" might fit their character concepts and develop new Talents to fill them. Or encourage them to develop more of their skills.

In our 15 years game from SW we made a conversion to Genesys, about a 2.455 XP PC. As Sturn said is just a "guide" to get an easy-view access to your talents, but there is no real need of that sheet. Remember that main campaigns (based on peoples answers) go from 400 to 700 XP aproximatelly, and a few ones achieve 1000 XP (info from SW not Genesys).

In one Genesys supplements exists the "Heroic Abilities" (?) that is a initial skill that evolves for every 50 XP obtained. Is the most aproximated to Signature Ability. This Heroic skill, considering upgrade caps, stops evolving above 400 XP, so feel free to create new ones based on signature or create more "heroic skills".

SW/Genesys progression is more a trapezoid than a pyramid itself. A character advance uses to be top in a pair or three skills and goes lower on the rest. In our games tha main PC have 3 maxed skills (with maxed talents) and the rest are a lot of diverse talents and skills achieved not at max level.

Hope it helped :D

Edited by Josep Maria
7 hours ago, Josep Maria said:

In one Genesys supplements exists the "Heroic Abilities" (?) that is a initial skill that evolves for every 50 XP obtained. Is the most aproximated to Signature Ability. This Heroic skill, considering upgrade caps, stops evolving above 400 XP, so feel free to create new ones based on signature or create more "heroic skills".

Good point. That Heroic Abilities mechanic is in Realms of Terrinoth, starting on page 74.