Integrating Team Up with already released heroes

By maniakmedic, in Marvel Champions: The Card Game

This team up idea has been poking around at the back of my brain for a little while and I thought it would make an interesting discussion.

Taking into consideration that, as I've mentioned before, my Marvel knowledge is based mostly on the MCU and not the comics and I realize there's a lot of backstory and subtext I miss, I think it would be really neat to see some of the iconic team ups from the page and screen to get cards and mechanics also. Like Cap and Thor with the hammer and shield or the fact that Cap is worthy enough to wield Mjolnir.

What's a team up you'd like to see and how do you see it working?

With Cap and Thor I'm thinking a team up card in both their decks that's an upgrade; when both upgrades are on the table (along with the shield and hammer), either player can call for an action, both upgrades are discarded from play, and a massive amount of damage is done to the villain. Maybe also some side damage to all the minions on the table.

I dont think Cap and Thor are particularly vested in a team-up in the comics.

The ones that are more familiar to me...

• Captain America/The Falcon
  • Captain America/Bucky Barnes
  • Ant-Man/Wasp
  • Quicksilver/Scarlet Witch
  • Scarlet Witch/Vision
  • Beast/Wonder Man
  • Iron-Man/War Machine
  • Luke Cage/Iron Fist * The Original Heroes for Hire
  • Daredevil/Elektra
  • Spider-Man/ Everyone * - There was a comic called Marvel Team-Up which was pretty much Spider-Man and somebody else
  • The Thing/ Everyone * - a similar concept, Marvel Two-In-One was a comic where the Thing teamed-up with everyone
Edited by IceHot42

Iconic MCU moments for me would be:

Iron Man's Repulsor Blast off of Cap's Shield from the first Avengers movie.

Thor and Hulk- Friends from work (Thor Ragnarok)

Black Widow and Hawkeye- Remember Budapest?

1 hour ago, HirumaShigure said:

Iconic MCU moments for me would be:

Iron Man's Repulsor Blast off of Cap's Shield from the first Avengers movie.

Thor and Hulk- Friends from work (Thor Ragnarok)

Black Widow and Hawkeye- Remember Budapest?

I once said I want a team up card for Black Widow and Hawkeye called Budapest. One copy's flavor text says this reminds me of Budapest and the other says you and I remember Budapest very differently.

Black Widow & Hawkeye is the one I want to see most, thanks to the MCU, with a Wolverine & Colossus "Fastball Special" after that. I half-expect one for Star-Lord and Gamora as well. As for how a Team-Up for existing heroes is released, that's hard to say since both have hero packs already so maybe in a campaign set? Scarlet Witch and Vision have a lot of history in the comics but SW gets her Team-Up with Quicksilver in her hero pack and I doubt they'd have a second in there for her and Vision. I suppose a Vision hero pack could contain two copies so you can use the extra with SW.

Starlord and Gamora team up called Pelvic Sorcery! :D

I don't see how they'll ever find a way to release Team Up cards for previously released heroes....

26 minutes ago, jonboyjon1990 said:

I don't see how they'll ever find a way to release Team Up cards for previously released heroes....

I could see it potentially- especially where they release an ally version of one of the heroes - like say an upcoming hero pack contains among its extra cards a single copy of Captain America (Leadership Ally) instead of 3 copies of another card. That leaves 2 spots for them to include 2 copies of a hypothetical “Repulsor Ricochet” team up card for Captain America and Iron Man...

Whether they would do it is another matter... Team up cards are already very niche in terms of deck building which is okay for a few cards (I.e like Sorcerer Supreme, which currently only one hero can use, and we’ve got to imagine only a limited pool will ever be able to use), but they won’t want to be releasing too much stuff that’s so restricted...

On the other hand, it does open up opportunities to hot fix certain characters that could use help - for example a title that can only be given to a ‘Gamma’ hero or a Hulk / She-Hull team up card would be a buff to these heroes that they only need to balance for those heroes, and not the wider hero pool...

So far the team up cards have only been given to a hero and there signature ally. And not every hero has a team up card with said ally, ie Captain Marvel and Spider Woman. I understand that they don't have to stay within those boundaries, but at the same time I don't want them to over use it. I like where it's at right now.

23 hours ago, maniakmedic said:

Wit h Cap and Thor I'm thinking a team up card in both their decks that's an upgrade; when both upgrades are on the table (along with the shield and hammer), either player can call for an action, both upgrades are discarded from play, and a massive amount of damage is done to the villain. Maybe also some side damage to all the minions on the table.

Although I think a simpler way to incorporate that, would just to have a team up card with Captain America's shield and Mjolnir, as in a team up card for there upgrades. Which would mean it would also work for future heros with those upgrades, like Thor Jane Foster or Major Victory. Although I doubt they'll do those guys as heros anytime soon(even though I love Major Victory).

I think it would be interesting if team-up cards were released as replacement cards for signature allies. So if player one is playing Captain Marvel and player two is playing Spider-Woman, they could swap out the unplayable ally cards for a team-up card instead. That would make the thematically appropriate pairing a potential bonus instead of a penalty.

3 hours ago, Vlad3theImpaler said:

I think it would be interesting if team-up cards were released as replacement cards for signature allies. So if player one is playing Captain Marvel and player two is playing Spider-Woman, they could swap out the unplayable ally cards for a team-up card instead. That would make the thematically appropriate pairing a potential bonus instead of a penalty.

Hey, I really like that idea. Although you wouldn't have them when the other player died. Which is a low probability to be honest, but I can see why you'd want to be able to play your signature ally if your other player died.

Yeah, that would be part of the trade-off. But I think having a team-up card that works only while the other player is in play is definitely better than an ally that only works when the other player is defeated. That should mean a much higher percentage of the time that card can be used for something other than a resource.

I'll add to those calling for a team up card for Hawkeye and Black Widow. I'm such a Hawkeye fan that I'd love to see another team-up card for Clint and Ant-Man with Scott on an arrow. Of course there has to be a "Fastball Special" for Wolverine and Colossus. There also has to be team-up cards for Iron Fist with Luke Cage and Wonder Man with the Beast.